Skip to content

Trading credits for brainpower

Hello, Imperian folks!

I am bored and like torturing people, so I am starting a competition. Every week, or two weeks, or when I feel like it, or maybe just once, I'll post a puzzle. Usually logic puzzles and the like, probably.

At the time of the post, I'll also post the prizes.

First one incoming!
I am the righteous one... 
the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 

Comments

• edited February 2013
    The first puzzle will be a doozie. I was planning to offer a small prize for these, because I'm not flush with credits, but that might be mean.

First person to send me a forum message with the solution to this puzzle will win 30 credits. Second person gets 20 credits. No other prizes.

Winners will be judged by correctness and the message timestamp.

First puzzle

EDIT: Yes, solutions exist around the internet. They're cheating. If I think you used one, I might arbitrarily disqualify you
    EDIT 2: Generally, if you can tell me what the puzzle is/how it works, and generally be able to answer questions/show your work, I'll assume you didn't cheat
  • edited February 2013
    First winner cashes in. Congratulations to Susser.

Still 20 credits up for grabs.

EDIT: Since I've had a lot of complaints (from one very vocal Ahkan), the next puzzle won't give quite as much of a head start to the code-minded.
    EDIT 2: I hope no one is trying to brute force a solution. While theoretically possible (and I made some models to do so), we're talking about 8.05184836*10^217 possible solutions! (26^154, to be exact).
  • I made -two- remarks. TWO.
  • edited February 2013
    Second place goes to Dicene!

The puzzle was a regular expression crossword, part of the 2013 MIT mystery hunt. Each place on the grid is restricted by the three regular expressions that point to it. A solution is a filled in grid in which each position satisfies all of the restrictions on it.

You can find a regex cheat sheat here. I'll give people the rest of the weekend to keep at it and try to solve it, if they're inclined, and post the solution after the CTF. Or on Monday. Or when I remember.
  • Ixielle said:
    Bathan said:
    This is horse shit. Where's the competition for writing bad fan fiction about Khandava? I need something I can win.
    Title: Blighted Hearts
    Story Summary: Beneath the blighted canopy of the Deadwood, a forbidden romance blossoms. A jaded Prophet's icy heart is melted by the force of a roguish elf's love. But she's married to a violent deathknight! What will they do when their secret affair is revealed?! Lionas x Sekhir.

I won't let you win that easily.
    I prefer to call her Sekhsy.
  • Lionas said:

The puzzle was a regular expression crossword.
    The next puzzle is going to require cursory knowledge in quantum warp theory, hyperspace physics and multispectral subspace engine design.
  • Ixielle said:
    Bathan said:
    This is horse shit. Where's the competition for writing bad fan fiction about Khandava? I need something I can win.
    Title: Blighted Hearts
    Story Summary: Beneath the blighted canopy of the Deadwood, a forbidden romance blossoms. A jaded Prophet's icy heart is melted by the force of a roguish elf's love. But she's married to a violent deathknight! What will they do when their secret affair is revealed?! Lionas x Sekhir.

I won't let you win that easily.
    I already wrote that story, but it's Bathan in place of Sekhir. Not only are they the same gender and different races, they have to work through the issue of Bathan believing that Lionas exterminated his make believe family.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • So is it true what they say about Lionas and tentacles, then?
  • Gurn said:
    So is it true what they say about Lionas and tentacles, then?
    Selthis won't give me the time of day.

If there are any suggestions or requests for next week's puzzle, feel free to post/message.
  • Solution:

• It's like a honeycomb of headaches. :(
  • Honeycomb of wtf. I see no words there. How can it be a crossword without any words?
  • Ahkan said:
    Honeycomb of wtf. I see no words there. How can it be a crossword without any words?
    Well, it fits the definition, technically...
  • " forming words or phrases"...in what, droid?
  • Words are just strings of alphabetic characters. Not my fault you give preference to your silly dictionaries.
  • It's a puzzle in the form of a crossword!
  • Ahkan said:
    Honeycomb of wtf. I see no words there. How can it be a crossword without any words?
    I found MOM and OREO.
  • edited February 2013
    After I read that, I had to look. Here's what I found.

hi
    no
    has
    dio
    cue
    pox
    fox
    hem
    cox
    meh
    roe
    moi
    mom
    Oreo
    Mir
    roc
    croc

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It was a word find after all. My favorite :)
  • hrxrcmiiihxls
  • I haven't forgotten about you, but I was busy at work this week and couldn't come up with something that wasn't coding related. I'll drop something in here soon.

If anyone has suggestions, feel free to contact me.
  • edited February 2013
    This week's puzzle: Is P == NP? You have one hour.

(Still thinking, I swear I'll post something soon)

EDIT: I'll actually accept an answer to any of the Millennium Prize problems.
  • Lionas said:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0610903v1.pdf

In under an hour.

• Juran said:
    Lionas said:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0610903v1.pdf

In under an hour.

Posting the solution to the only solved problem doesn't count if you didn't write it yourself. One of the requirements for me awarding the prize continues to be proving you understood the problem and actually came to the result yourself.
  • It was on the tip of my tongue, but he took my inspiration and got all of the credit (and then turned down all of the money).