Skip to content

Leylines and Surges

Looks like we could use a discussion of these to give feedback before the upcoming changes.

My few thoughts so far:

Adding some more leylines to bashing areas could be an interesting way of getting priority in them for a circle. I think Demon's Pass would see some stronger contestation than it already is if it wasn't Demonic inclined.

It would be interesting to have some connections between leylines, letting you hit the natural influence some if you shift the lines flowing into them.

Keeping them out of shardfall areas seems solid. Stops it from being a togh feedback loop of shards <-> influence

Comments

• I will be adding some more leyline locations this week. If you have some spots you think would be interesting, please let me know.

• With DP having a leyline intersection, I think it would be good to eventually give each side a natural affinity wave-hunting zone with one neutral one.

Caanae would be interesting.
    Feinhorn maybe.
    Some indoor zones, like Chorsha, Aori Caverns, Insane Asylum, Alekmanhala's?

I dunno, maybe some shardfall zones aside Caanae could work since shardfalls are randomized over a pretty decent selection of areas, but it could be snowbally.
  • or just remove the natural demonic affinity from DP -_-
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • edited February 2017
    @Oystir
    Shhhh we need more wave hunting zones :(

It'd be cool to see some impacts on the areas. Small things like ambiance messages, non-functional plant/mob spawns, or small desc additions like Skegdald or Khandava would be along the lines of what I mean. It'd be kind of like spreading blight/hollow in Terraria.
  • Yeah, I agree with @Gjarrus. As it stands, I have no reason to influence leylines--what's the point? If there were achievements for influencing them, though...
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • edited February 2017
    > @Theophilus said:
    > Yeah, I agree with @Gjarrus. As it stands, I have no reason to influence leylines--what's the point? If there were achievements for influencing them, though...

In the works, along with some changes to surges. Stats are already being tracked, though.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • So if I influence leylines now, it will count toward future achievements? @Eoghan
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • lets be able to change the natural affinity of dp by killing silantor yeah jammin?
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • So if I influence leylines now, it will count toward future achievements? @Eoghan

Correct. It's been tracking since shortly after the system went in, you'll see your current stats already in ACHIEVEMENT STATS
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • I've pushed out achievements for influencing. I will also be adding achievements for capturing leylines, but those will be put off a bit as implementing the rewards I want for those takes a tiny bit of work.
  • Just to let people know, you have to influence leylines at least once in order for ACHIEVEMENTS LEY FINDING to be completed even if you have the stats to complete it.

• I think the achievement to get the title 'Influencer" should require 5,000 rather than 10,000 influences. 10,000 shards is a LOT, and especially considering shards need to be used for many other things.

Just a little feedback..

• The intention behind that achievement is to be something a little bit longer-term to work toward. I considered 5k, but picked 10k because I didn't want it to be something that someone can get to in just a few weeks after the system was released. It SHOULD take time to get to.

As a data point, there's someone that is already over 1600, and the system isn't THAT old.
  • @Eoghan Fair points.

• Hm.

Leyline Influenced: 1650

Sorry for to breaks the things.

• AM affinity clearing wormholes is aggravating, especially with the 'momentary popularity' of the profession :(
  • That's a good point, and somewhat of an unintended side effect. I'll consider alternatives, but we may leave it as is.
  • Right now, it takes between 5 and 6 hours in antimagick territory for a wormhole to decay. I propose the following:

1) Rather than decaying, wormholes will be 'dormant'. This will mean they will not report tremors when attacked, and will not be usable for travel/channel/listen.
    2) To become usable again, they must reattune, which will take between 5 and 6 hours within their matching affinity (Magick for Renegade created wormholes, Demonic for Assassin created wormholes). This will allow for partial progress tracked hourly (but not on the hour), so if you gain 4 ticks, it goes AM for an hour, then you get it back, it will take another 3 ticks.

Thoughts?
  • I wouldn't mind something like that. Maybe throw in a shorter swing from active to dormant? If all three sides had wormholes, it'd be cool to have the endpoint affinities influence the frequency, so X<->neutral could be traveled by anyone, X<->Y wouldn't be usable by Z, and X<->X would be purely X frequency. Splicing/cancel times could be adjusted for it, with tremors failing if the frequency is tainted by anything not neutral.
    TL;DR Yes + moar wormhole stuff plx ty
  • A thought about making the caravan quartz relevant again - can "quartz" be used to influence leylines (much like shards are)?
  • Except 1 quartz = like 10 shards.

• Quartz into leylines would make me care to vanquish caravans
  • LaekaLaeka Houston
    Can someone explain what key lime surges are and what they do?
  • LaekaLaeka Houston
    Gdi.. autocorrect.. leyline not key lime...
  • Key lime pie... hmmm.

• edited June 2017
    There are two kinds of possible surge: positive ones (occurring when you use an ability thematically tied to your circle within an area with your circle's affinity) and negative ones (occurring when you use an ability thematically tied to your circle within an area that has an affinity other than your circle's).

All negative surges cancel that ability that was being used. In addition, depending on the severity of the surge, you may take health damage, mana damage, and/or receive various afflictions.

Positive surges result in a gain of health, mana, or both, in varying amounts based on the severity of the surge.

Surge severity is based on a number of factors, including the specific ability being used and the current affinity of the area, among others.

No surge of the same power will occur for 10 seconds after a surge fires. This does not mean the same ability cannot generate a surge for 10 seconds - there is a random component to the resulting power, and surges meet range thresholds, so it is still possible.
  • At some point in the ephemeral future, we may modify (probably add to, possibly modify/remove some effects from) surges to make them more interesting. We wanted to see how the current incarnation of surges worked out first, though.
  • LaekaLaeka Houston
    What are some of the abilities that would kick off a surge? 
  • I'm not going to give any specifics, but the vague answer is "most things thematically tied to a circle." Some classes are impacted more than others.