Skip to content

Fishing Update Proposal

As the title says, I have decided to tackle some fishing updates with the help of one of our coders! Below is short rundown of what I'm thinking. I'm open to any suggestions, however, so let the ideas flow!

Keep in mind that the fishing code is VERY old and a little finicky, and a complete rewrite would take too much time to prioritize it over other projects. Anything super fancy is probably out of the realm of what we'll be able to do.

Gold chest updates:
Currently when you fish up a chest you have a chance at a little less than a thousand gold. This change would make it more random, allowing you to have chances at 100, 1000, 5000, and 10,000 gold in your chest. The lower values will be weighted heavier.

New items:
At the moment, I have a shortlist of items to add. This ranges from jewelry and clothing to a couple of vanity pets and a familiar. I'm also considering adding a couple of other random odds and ends that you could sell to mobs, like pearls.

Xp changes:
This is sort of a back-end thing, but at the moment you get a flat 5000 experience for fishing up a non-fish, and 500 xp per fish. We actually have a system that assigns fish a 'level', which determines how hard they are to fish up. Using that, we're hoping to scale the xp you get to the level of the fish, so rarer fish are worth more!

New fish:
This is a given! What kinds of fish do you want to see? I need suggestions for both fresh and saltwater, so let's hear them!

Comments

• I think these ideas are actually pretty neat. I haven't fished in actual years, but I might start if there's a chance to get pets and other stuff. That said, maybe we need to do a PSA addressing whoever is stuffing all these animals in chests and burying them or throwing them in the river.

I'll try to think of some fish later on, but I'm honestly not familiar enough with the full current list.

• 'Fish' ideas:
    Some sort of scaly man-fish that attacks you.

A vendor!

Boss bait fish - catch em, use em as bait, and a boss spawns.

Maybe some sort of fish -> meat commodity conversion? With transmute/duplicate, seems like the door's open to add comm production to other player activities.

Some more variations aside from freshwater/saltwater for distribution. Some fish only spawning at certain times of day, next to certain environment types, before/after X fish have been caught in that area, etc.
  • Sharks, rays, octopi, and the like would be pretty neat. Especially sharks!
  • Gjarrus said:

'Fish' ideas:
    Some sort of scaly man-fish that attacks you.

Boss bait fish - catch em, use em as bait, and a boss spawns.

Maybe some sort of fish -> meat commodity conversion? With transmute/duplicate, seems like the door's open to add comm production to other player activities.

Some more variations aside from freshwater/saltwater for distribution. Some fish only spawning at certain times of day, next to certain environment types, before/after X fish have been caught in that area, etc.

It's already possible to fish up something that attacks you, but we have considered adding more.

We don't really want to add commodity production to any more systems. Commodity production is precariously balanced as-is.

More variation on the conditions required to catch specific fish is more complicated and is out of the scope of this set of changes.

Not against the idea of an optionally-summoned boss, but that idea will have to go on the back burner for the same reason we aren't doing a complete rewrite of the fishing system -- it takes a lot of time to make a boss mob.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • A fishing quest for a qhonours would be cool. Like bring me one of each of these types of fish: _____. Require variety, particular weight, whatever,
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • what if we can fish specimens for an aquarium in your house? Time to collect them all.
  • I came in expecting some dank memes from Lartus, but I actually like the aquarium idea.
  • It really is a good idea...
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • I upvote XP boost.
    I upvote gold increase.
    I upvote qhonors.
    I upvote aquariums.
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • Like, make it so we can eat fish, too.
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • How rare are these barnacle-encrusted chests supposed to be? I've yet to see one. So far the only non fish I've fished up was a bit of net.
    You say, "Oh crap."
    You say, "My bottle is empty."
    Jeremy raises an eyebrow questioningly.
    Jeremy slaps you on the cheek.
  • Still a net gain.
  • Wyll said:

How rare are these barnacle-encrusted chests supposed to be? I've yet to see one. So far the only non fish I've fished up was a bit of net.

The non-fish rewards are balanced with a number of factors, and are intended to be fairly rare. The rate at which you may discover them is also impacted by fishing rank - they are less likely the farther you are from Transcendent!
  • Just thought I'd comment and give some feedback on fishing..

Fishing as a whole is pretty much the same as it always has been, but as I am a gambler, I really like the idea of perhaps being able to lug up a chest. I view it as a mini treasure map. I've lugged up three to be exact and have gotten super excited to open them. The one vanity pet I did get out of the chest was absolutely adorable.

Earnings from fishing are underwhelming however. At 4 gold per pound, I can fish up an entire area and not break 10,000 gold. And seeing all those wasted ounces has inspired me to make a bamboozler counter that keeps track of all the gold I was bamboozled out of!

Not sure if you guys ever plan on upping the earnings from fishing, since I understand why it is kept low, but the restrictions on the limited amount of fish you can fish per room seems like it would help balance that.

Side note, slightly fishing related, but similar to what @Oystir proposed can we maybe eat the fish or at least the oysters that are in the waters after we rob them of their pearls?

You say, "Oh crap."
  • edited February 2017
    Wyll said:

Side note, slightly fishing related, but similar to what @Oystir proposed can we maybe eat the fish or at least the oysters that are in the waters after we rob them of their pearls?

Make fish like food in games like World of Warcraft etc; get temporary bonuses from eating them.
    1. Mako shark gives +1 or +2 con for 15 minutes.
    2. Great white gives +1 dex/str/int for 15 minutes.
    3. Swordfish gives +10% damage for 15 minutes.
    4. etc.
    Idk. Would give people an incentive to fish, that's for sure >.> --- Would also require (probably) increasing the time it takes them to decay, though. Maybe 1-2 years.
  • @Aysari, I think those are pretty powerful boosts if they come from an endless supply like fish. But, maybe it could work if it were new and really, really rare fish.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • Wyll said:

@Aysari, I think those are pretty powerful boosts if they come from an endless supply like fish. But, maybe it could work if it were new and really, really rare fish.

Short decay time, with an inability to make them slow/no decay makes them not an endless supply. Could always reduce the duration of the buff too. Basically even in shops they continue to decay at a normal rate.

• Or, the buff requires you to eat multiple fish of the same kind before it activates.
  • The idea of food-based buffs has been discussed before, and we've decided that it is not something that we want to pursue. There are many reasons for this, but the largest is that adding additional buffs contributes to power creep. It becomes both a new baseline for balancing all classes, and an additional minimum barrier to entry. It just isn't something that we want to pursue right now.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • eating food to give buffs? What is this Runescaperian?
  • Lartus said:

eating food to give buffs? What is this Runescaperian?

I would have also accepted Imperusternia.