Skip to content

Just some newbie questions about outrider.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong area, or just an unwanted post in general but I'm kind of at a small loss.

First off I'd not mind if someone was able to sit down with me and discuss the nuances of the class, the game, or any other helpful tips in general.

I chose Outrider, in Antioch, as a Lycaean. As a side note please don't attempt to dissuade me of my choice. I'd like to roll with it without any snide remarks.

I'm new to Imperian, not new to IRE, so basic understanding and knowledge of the way the game works is easy for me if you need to speak on mud terms.

So the basic of my issue is I have no idea what anything does for the most part. I've been bash grinding (I'm sure people have been sniggering at me dying alot lately which is whatever. I test what I can fight and can't, happens. No loss no gain) but in the end I'm not even sure if I'm doing that effectively. I don't understand all my skills, I don't understand the usage of encampments. I don't know what does and doesn't boost things, or what to use or not to use as defenses for being alone for now.

I of course would like to learn how to bash (just to max level) properly before moving into pvp but I suppose some basic knowledge there could not overly hurt.

The problem I'm running into is that it may be just the time of year, or perhaps the state of the game...but most people around me are usually afk all the time or just not there at all. There's little to no helpfiles within the guilds or city that covers basic knowledge, and unless I missed something the newbie tutorial literally rolled from walking around into killing stuff and that's it.

Soooo once again any and all knowledge for someone completely new to Imperian who is eager to learn the world...would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance, please don't hate me for being curious :(

Comments

• As a note as to what I'm currently working with skill/arti wise

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Profession Skills Rank
    Trailblazing 100% Transcendent
    Wyrmriding 100% Transcendent
    Hunting 86% Adept
    General Skills Rank
    Perception 40% Capable
    Survival 50% Gifted
    Weaponry 0% Inept
    Tattoos 75% Adept
    Evasion 100% Transcendent
    Engineering 0% Inept
    Taming 0% Inept
    Concoctions 69% Mythical
    Toxins 0% Inept
    Smithing 0% Inept
    Shards 0% Inept
    Mini Skills Rank
    Antidotes 7% Capable
    Constitution 100% Transcendent
    Frost 0% Inept
    Fitness 100% Transcendent
    Galvanism 0% Inept
    Philosophy 100% Transcendent
    Thermology 0% Inept

310898 a set of silver bracelets 1100 being held by Fanglor
    - Added Power: resist_physical.
    - Inherent Power: health_mana_1.
  • Hi there, and welcome to Imperian!

What is your current level and where are you trying to bash?

As an outrider, your primary class-based defenses are going to come from being mounted on your icewyrm (make sure you cling to it), barkskin, weathering, and the sip bonus you get from trailblazing. There are some other nice quality of life skills in trailblazing, such as conceal weapons, secure wielded, lifesense, cover tracks, prowling, camouflage, and hide. Also make sure that you are using things like bandages, and if you don't have an outrider's cloak already, ask someone to help you make one as that gives you extra resists. I forget if deadaim is worth using or not, so you might want to test a little there.

Re: encampments, think of it as being able to make a room indoors temporarily. Not a whole lot of benefit to PvE, but certainly has benefits on the PvP front. Note that you can also set up a campground somewhere and use it as a return point.
  • Ultrix said:

Hi there, and welcome to Imperian!

What is your current level and where are you trying to bash?

Overall level is currently 82 and I've been finding Demon's Pass to be fruitful?
  • Fanglor said:

Overall level is currently 82 and I've been finding Demon's Pass to be fruitful?

Demon's Pass will be fruitful forever, it's one of the top bashing areas in the entire game even post-aspect.
    1. Make sure you're always mounted on the icewyrm, it increases your stab damage.
    2. Make sure you CHOOSE TRIDENT or CHOOSE SPEAR. If you don't choose a proficiency your damage will be bad.
    3. Join Conquest. Their bashing shrines in DP will massively boost your DPS.
    4. You will need Transcendent Hunting before you can seriously PvP as an Outrder.
  • Kyraic said:

1. Make sure you CHOOSE TRIDENT
  • Juran said:

Kyraic said:

1. Make sure you CHOOSE TRIDENT
    Spear < Trident for bashing or is that a pvp thing?
  • Tridents are what you use if you're intelligent, capable, and possessed of good taste.

Spears are what you use if you are a filthy tasteless barbarian.

(the difference is entirely cosmetic, but spears are still the wrong choice and are only used by wrong people)
  • So I'm supposed to use a spear, got it.
  • Fanglor said:

So I'm supposed to use a spear, got it.

You'll go far. Ignore the trident crowd, they're just bad.
  • I've been an outrider for a long time before I changed to Magick a little while ago. Outrider bashing is not...fun. At least I didn't enjoy it but the profession in amazing in other features like utility in group combat, damage is great and your fellow team members can support you amazingly. Also it's one of the best professions in 1v1 if you're into combat. (Also, trans hunting, totally worth it)

Start by trying out the skills you have and think of scenarios where you can put the theory in practice. Septus is a lot AFK, so he's a free dummy.

The profession has a lot of potential for RP is you're into that. Your character riding an icewyrm, blasting freeze around and stabbing people with a spear. What can be more amazing?
  • So there's also no overkill/overcrit here either?
  • Given how our shrine / sect system works, overcrit would be excessive here. It is kind of a silly idea anyway, because attack speeds normalize over time natively.
  • Juran said:

Given how our shrine / sect system works, overcrit would be excessive here. It is kind of a silly idea anyway, because attack speeds normalize over time natively.

Given that I'm new I don't understand how shrine/sect would effect that. Could you explain?
  • Fanglor said:

Juran said:

Given how our shrine / sect system works, overcrit would be excessive here. It is kind of a silly idea anyway, because attack speeds normalize over time natively.

Given that I'm new I don't understand how shrine/sect would effect that. Could you explain?
    I think @Juran's point is that give the (extreme) DPS boost that shrines give you already, having the damage carryover from an attack is really not necessary.
  • edited December 2016
    Your sect's shrines benefit your bashing two-fold. Shrines in area contribute to your base damage (significantly, up to a max of 100% (effectively 2x) if you reach the cap). In addition, there is a worldwide critical hit bonus granted by owning shrines (up to 6%). We aren't going to release the way these bonuses are calculated, but I will tell you it's unlikely any sect will reach the caps for either.

Area control and shrine dominance is an intended part of the system, and the reward is great!
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Eoghan said:

it's unlikely any sect will reach the caps for either

Hmm.
  • I haven't looked at the totals in a while. You have way more shrines than I remember! People should probably go around and destroy some of those.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Conquest has a LOT of shrines. I believe they have actually maxed out two areas.
  • Am I right to assume there's some variable in xp reporting that is also determined by a larger group of mobs occasionally? I'm noticing that in a group of mobs something will reward more xp occasionally than on it's own. Or is this just a random factor?
  • Eoghan said:

I haven't looked at the totals in a while. You have way more shrines than I remember! People should probably go around and destroy some of those.

Shrine wars are so horrible here that Septus and I used to threaten to throw anybody who started one out of Conquest.

That is how unfun they are. So unfun that Septus and I would have rather thrown somebody out of the Sect than fight one for no reason.