Skip to content

Forming An Arc for my character

Hi! I'm new to imperian. I've read the history, and I have a vague vision of my character's arc, but I'm not sure how to make it a living plot that I can persue every time I play. Does anyone have any character development tips? Thanks! Also, how can I find out about the part of history that would've affected my life as a child? Thanks, be well!

Comments

• edited October 2016
    What's your vision?

Also, you are basically semi-immortal (less mortal than most deities in IRE if we're being honest, not just Imperian, where we don't have them). Someone can chop off all your limbs and rip your guts out in front of you and 2 minutes later you can come back and try to murder them. So there's that. Also, if they aren't already, nearly every NPC village will be terrified of you at some point. Or should be. Because you are a bloodthirsty jerk who comes around and kills them all regularly. You're a filthy magicker (hi!), but, people can and do "switch teams" for a variety of reasons, and sometimes switching teams is even necessary for the good of the game, so I think it is good to keep that in mind (and maybe not do a super inflexible sort of diehard faction RP - although it's not like you absolutely couldn't do that).

That sounds so basic (it is basic), but I feel like that is our characters' starting point/reality whether we mostly PK, mostly RP, mostly PVE, or are one of those rare, rare unicorns who truly does lots of all of those things. But I mean, you (probably) were not raised by humble farmers and your parents were murdered by orcs, never to be seen again (or 2 minutes later).

Anyway, hi!
  • edited October 2016
    Assuming you just got started now, I can't say that your character would have had a very eventful childhood, unless you devised some sort of fairly personal event of crisis for them. The one sort of topical thing if you wanted to get into some interesting social dynamics might be the introduction of the Ancestral Stones suddenly reviving a bunch of previously-dead races.

If you told us what kind of character you invision I or someone else could probably direct you to the locations and lore that may be relevant to this.
  • MallasiaMallasia North America
    My vision is of a young woman who grew up on the streets of Kinsarmar. She wants to be recognized as a lady in society, not the nobility and social stature, I mean the elegance. She wants to be able to dress up, do her hair in fancy ways, and do what young ladies who are pursuing grateness do. And no, every village won't hate me, I can't stand hunting. How do I develop a unique personality so I'm not playing myself?
  • Mallasia said:

How do I develop a unique personality so I'm not playing myself?

Different approaches work for different people. I tend to take some idea that appeals to me and run with it. The biggest difficulty a lot of people have with roleplaying in this regard can be letting go of things they wouldn't do in person, which thus can limit how they portray their characters. Think of it like an experiment, and try not to take it too seriously in terms of other people's reactions. Most people are good about sending a tell or other aside if they do get genuinely bothered by something, but most of Imperian is pretty laid back about these things.
  • Haha, you will fit right in Kinsarmar. I haven't seen her as much lately, but see if you can catch up with Katinel.
  • Mallasia said:

My vision is of a young woman who grew up on the streets of Kinsarmar. She wants to be recognized as a lady in society, not the nobility and social stature, I mean the elegance. She wants to be able to dress up, do her hair in fancy ways, and do what young ladies who are pursuing grateness do. And no, every village won't hate me, I can't stand hunting. How do I develop a unique personality so I'm not playing myself?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=debutante
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."