Skip to content

What do you play outside of Imperian?

Comments

• - Dark Souls (Again) Praise the sun! \[T]/
    - Crusader Kings II
    - Skyrim
    - Overlord
    - Alan Wake

and I'm pretty sure that is it, except for Achaea, but nobody wants to hear about that. Work and real life issues have been eating away all my gaming time. :(
  • I just finished Song of the Deep not all that long ago on console. A few of the puzzles were irritating due to control sensitivity, which I have a suspicion might be easier on PC, but it was a highly enjoyable game overall. The graphics were absolutely beautiful, and I'm sorely tempted to purchase the soundtrack!
  • Hexe said:

I just finished Song of the Deep not all that long ago on console. A few of the puzzles were irritating due to control sensitivity, which I have a suspicion might be easier on PC, but it was a highly enjoyable game overall.

Almost everything is easier on PC. The main reason I won't use consoles is because I won't give up my keyboard+mouse control combo because controllers are worse for basically everything.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    Khizan said:

Hexe said:

I just finished Song of the Deep not all that long ago on console. A few of the puzzles were irritating due to control sensitivity, which I have a suspicion might be easier on PC, but it was a highly enjoyable game overall.

Almost everything is easier on PC. The main reason I won't use consoles is because I won't give up my keyboard+mouse control combo because controllers are worse for basically everything.
    mhmm

people think the thumb is such a great joint for fine control via a joystick but accessing the multi-axial joint is two joints away from the pulp of the thumb. sure, there're 8 muscles controlling the movements but they're almost impossible to control independently unless you spend an inordinate amount of time training precision of the flexor and get this compensatory muscle bulge which is hilarious.

on the other hand, you can leverage one large joint for quick, imprecise movements corrected by one multi-axial joint (wrist) followed by rapid single axis correction with at least three well innervated muscles of the forearm... i don't see why people still think joysticks controlled by thumbs are a great idea.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • So much hyperbole.

Keyboard+Mouse is better for many genres and for doing productive things, nobody will argue that.

Keyboard+Mouse sucks for 3P games that require any degree of precision in movement(Dark Souls, almost every single N64 game in existence) and really sucks for attempting to play games with other people in person without the hassle of setting up a LAN party(there is no way logistically that I could fit 3 desk/chair/computer setups in my apartment, but seating 4 people using controllers(even if each had their separate console+TV) would be much easier).

I spend 8 hours a day in a chair at a desk with a keyboard+mouse setup. I absolutely don't want to be stuck at a desk, maintaining the same posture, and doing the same hand motions during my free time if I can help it. I'd much prefer to be using a controller from a comfortable spot on my couch, relaxed.

Any game I play on my computer that I have the option of playing with a controller instead of a keyboard+mouse, I play with a controller instead. The small bit of increased aiming precision I could gain while playing Fallout 4 is not worth the physical restrictions that come with keyboard+mouse. I even played FFXIV(an MMO with relatively complicated rotations and tons of skills you need easy access to) with a controller for the duration of the time I played it, because the systems in place to let you access tons of hotkeys easily on a controller made it absolutely viable end-game at the point in time I was playing it. The only things I use keyboard or keyboard+mouse for playing are Imperian(i built a beginning controller-based system once, but the inability to hit diagonals quickly and reliably makes moving around the world annoying) and League(which will never be controller-viable).
  • Finally, one of those console vs. PC wars I heard about when I googled "gaming trolls trolling why why why", right here on our lil old text game forums. Wooo.
  • edited August 2016
    Not really a war since I'm more of a neutral party than a console-only person. It's just that I don't like to hear people talk like controllers have 0 place in the world. They're fantastic at what they're designed for, just like keyboard+mouse is fantastic for a lot of things. It's like when someone proclaims that desktops are always superior to laptops, and I'm over here in a situation where a laptop fits my needs significantly better than a desktop could.
  • >.> <.<

>.>

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited August 2016
    @Baasche

not opposed to controllers. I just think putting all the load of precision on the thumb, particularly the pulp of the thumb, could be improved. Let's say you had a double-input joystick for a single thumb (one via the pulp, one via a strap across the MCP of the first digit) that better tracked its movement in three-dimensional space, I'd be all up for that. As is, the joystick is dependent on translating the friction of the pulp (single surface) into two axes of movements, whereas with a laser-pointer, you're translating the friction of 6 surfaces into two axes of movements.

But I get what you're saying. I do do enjoy sitting on the couch playing FIFA.
  • Two axes > one axes. Definitely get two axes.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Destiny
    Call of Duty Black Ops II
    Dead Space 3
    Shadows of Mordor
    Skyrim
    GTA 5
  • Achaea

Retired my Imperian alts, and started a new character on Achaea a few days ago. Its been pretty fun so far because I haven't played since Imperian opened.

• Risca convinced me to do the same :(

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I was first, but technically Risca and Khizan were first there before I even started playing Muds.
  • and I am there too. I am glad to see bonding and groves skills again :p
  • Jeremy said:

Factorio

I just love management games. For an early access game it is pretty good.
    I got hooked on factorio last summer when I was on the road for work. Stupidly addictive game.

• Chiming in to say I'm also in Achaea too (although pretty much all games have taken a backseat to work lately). I'm Ras over there. Hit me up!

• Veratyr said:

Jeremy said:

Factorio

I just love management games. For an early access game it is pretty good.
    I got hooked on factorio last summer when I was on the road for work. Stupidly addictive game.

I have not played it in a couple weeks, but they have added a ton of stuff. I cannot keep up with it. Pretty cool if you like management games.

• I also recently played Sheltered which is another post apocalyptic management like game. Pretty cool to play for a few minutes here and there.

• I've been replaying Fallout 4 to work through all the crazy DLC that's been released over the last few months.

YOU CAN CAPTURE DEATHCLAWS.

• FFXIV. Treading water in Achaea.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Started a character on Achaea, two minutes later, realize I've been made an NPC there already...

Darkness surrounds you.

Your head throbs with pain, like it's about to explode. By the Gods, what happened?

Your head swims in the darkness of your own consciousness.

Ow! And what keeps jabbing you in the side? It hurts.

You crack open an eye and look around you, revealing the source of the poking.

It's a long stick, being held by an unhinged-looking man in dirty grey robes.

An old man cackles insanely to himself.

An old man says, "Ahh, you're awake at last! Been tryin' to rouse you for an hour. Thought maybe you were dead."
  • midkemia :V
  • @Caelya - You can capture many strange and wonderful things.

• I've been taking a break from Fallout 4 the last couple days to play Banner Saga 2. If you guys don't know what that is, it's basically Oregon Trail with vikings and horned giants and demons and dead gods. It's extremely fun, and grim. If you happen to own a PS4, you can pick up the first two games for like $25 until Tuesday I think (they're usually $19.99 each).

• IniarIniar Australia
    @Septus

You walk south.
    [Angelus; Spaceport Pyramid; Rearm Facility]
    Rather than shelves of goods dividing up this green and orange tiled facility, rows of bulky drones stand waiting for an incoming pilot to make a purchase on one of the menu screens along the back wall. Each of the circular hatches upon which they stand has rings of safety railings surrounding them. A narrow archway in the back wall leads into a small proximity launcher store.
    You see an elegant white silk rolling backpack with tiny bells on it here.
    You can go north and south.
    map
    Current Location: Angelus; Spaceport Pyramid; Rearm Facility (Range: 15)
  • You poor soul. Do not past go, do not recommend.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    (Web): You say, "They built Imperian just to hold @Kryss, @Septus and @Khizan from breaking the other IRE games."

(Web): xxx says, "And it's like."

(Web): You say, "Now the inmates have escaped."