Skip to content

Diabolist revamp

Comments

• @salik No, no, while waiting enjoy the finer things in life. Such as good wine and a human heart. That is the Diabolist way, consuming delicious hearts you helpful cannibal.
  • Salik said:
    I'll just have to stab myself in the heart with my daegger out of sadness.

CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN
  • SalikSalik Da Burgh
    I'm actually more often in Wytch or Summoner. I just can't wait to see what comes of this. I do have Diabolist available. :D
  • Best part of Diabolist for me was the awesome ab descriptions for necromancy. 
  • edited May 2016
    I do have one question. 
    Its a bit of a selfish desire, but I was wondering.  Will there be a single entity ((other then the daegger)) that can fight with us in bashing?  I am a personal fan of seeing a entity in our entourage that can help us in bashing in some minor way.  At least, I personally would love to see less of a passive role to our minions and something can do with us?  Like....maybe our ouroboros could periodically randomly bite at our hunting monsters and players to drain life essence into itself to give to you slowly when running low on essence.  Or one of the entities can reflect a small portion of damage back at the enemies?  I understand that alot of pet-centric classes were meant to only be capable for pvp.  However I would personally love to see more pve focus of using spirits and the ouroboros to protect or block attacks with a little retaliation when bashing. 

I am still excited no matter what becomes of it I really love the direction focusing on the pets where summoner kinda lost some of its entity entourage flair.
  • Also, could there be some consideration to adding to classes afflictions that effect mobs similar to the promo item scepter? 

I really REALLY think there is potential to all classes to have a single type of affliction that synergizes with other classes while hunting.  Something to promote more cooperation between classes.  Or maybe each circle having 1~3 affliction types they specifically can do while hunting.
  • Priest in the AM circle has alot of the trappings of a "support" role. I would think seeing as how Diabolists are basically the demonik priests, it would make sense to kind of expand that role for them.

Not sure if Magick has a similar class, Bard maybe? I'd think Bard would be idea with the songs and stuff.
  • Veratyr said:
    Priest in the AM circle has alot of the trappings of a "support" role. I would think seeing as how Diabolists are basically the demonik priests, it would make sense to kind of expand that role for them.

Not sure if Magick has a similar class, Bard maybe? I'd think Bard would be idea with the songs and stuff.
    In some ways, but remember that the circles are balanced entirely differently.
  • Also summoner is the hands down best support class in the game.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• @Garryn Any idea if we should expect Diab revamp before/after CoA? I'm guessing the vast majority of people would prefer it if it was done before then.
  • As a progress update, we'll most likely be starting the beta early next week - I'll post more information at that time. For some preview, here are the ability lists - without any actual descriptions thus far.

This really is nothing more than a teaser - trying to get any relevant information out of these could be quite misleading!

Ritualism offers the following abilities:
    Daegger             Twist a dagger to suit ritualistic needs.
    Sae-uxa             Ignite flames with the symbol of fire.
    Sett                The disruptive symbol of balance.
    Sae-edi             Sketch the symbol of ice to bring extreme cold.
    Sae-ino             Harness the raw power of the symbol of magick.
    Ante-uno            Shatter protective barriers with the symbol of hammer.
    Noss-ita            Inflict maladies of the body.
    Noss-ani            Weaken the mind with this symbol.
    Dens-sanve          The symbol of vision will augment your sight.
    Sae-tel             Command the strength of the symbol of lightning.
    Duality             Swiftly sketch two symbols at once.
    Noss-sett           Slow down motion with the symbol of stillness.
    Anae-uxa            Negate protections with the empowered symbol of fire.
    Dae-terra           Track movements with the symbol of the butterfly.
    Noss-tae            The symbol of pain. What more is there to say?
    Do-nenne            The empowering symbol of inversion.
    Noss-settana        Crush bones with the symbol of one.
    Darr                The captivating symbol of the spider.
    Alta-sicn           Watch for intruders with the symbol of a gate.
    Sae-antarea         Channel the raw demonic power with the symbol of a whirlwind.
    Alta-uzmo           Dampen hostile effects with the symbol of strength.
    Ixi-antarea         Replicate attacks with the power of the symbol of the sun.
    Anae-ino            Negate protections with the empowered symbol of magick.
    Noss-sentena        The overpowering symbol of maladies.
    Anae-rakhyma        The symbol of resistance.
    Sae-rakhyma         Call forth the memory of pain with the symbol of repetition.
    Alta-raqae          Conceal your activities with the symbol of the night.
    Alta-ende           Obstruct departure with the symbol of a wall..
    Anae-daen           Augment your body with the symbol of the bark.
    Alta-uzma           Sketch the crippling symbol of weakness..
    Anae-antarea        The symbol of vitality shall thrart many a plan.
    Ixi-sentena         The symbol of the moon bestows the ultimate power.
    For more information, type AB RITUALISM <ability>.

Nightfall offers the following abilities:
    Night               Conjure darkness in the room.
    Wraiths             Command the shadows to take a corporeal form.
    Vigorous            A wraith that reduces incoming damage.
    Shroud              Shroud yourself within shadows.
    Whispering          A wraith that can ease the strain on your mind.
    Scan                Where are your wraiths?
    Twirl               Invoke the healing powers of a vigorous wraith.
    Nightkiss           Refresh the tired mind.
    Dismiss             Banish a wraith back to the shadows.
    Summon              A wraith shall come at your command.
    Recall              Call your wraiths back to you.
    Fiery               A fiery wraith with the power to regenerate.
    Translucent         A wraith with power over translucent shields.
    Nightfall           Spread darkness all around you.
    Shatter             Disrupt a protective shield.
    Ethereal            A wraith with teleportation powers.
    Shadowgate          Form a gate of pure shadows.
    Midnight            A wraith with pwoers over elements and symbols alike.
    Bodysap             Let the vigorous wraith deliver a powerful blow.
    Scan                Discern the weakness of your foe.
    Shadowsap           A powerful mental blow.
    Glowing             A wraith with a potent gaze.
    Intensify           Enhance the effects of your next ritualistic symbol.
    Stimulate           Heal wounds at the cost to your mental strength.
    Reflective          A wraith that feeds on the power of others.
    Overload            Enhance multiple ritualistic symbols.
    Energize            The reflective wraith can charge another one.
    Amplify             Extend the duration of certain ritualistic symbols.
    Envelop             Disable the protective shields for a short time.
    Shadowtwist         Spread confusion all around.
    Nightcurse          A powerful curse of the night.
    Blackwind           Assume the immaterial form of a black wind.
    Bane                Sketch ritualistic symbols with unnatural swiftness.
    For more information, type AB NIGHTFALL <ability>.

Malignosis offers the following abilities:
    Pentagram           Carve a demonic pentagram.
    Ouroboros           Summon your Ouroboros to do your bidding.
    Status              Discern the status of your Ouroboros.
    Armor               Request that your Ouroboros grant you protection.
    Horror              Instill great fear into your victim with your demon's aid.
    Necrosis            Focus on striking more effectively.
    Observe             Gather information about a target.
    Presences           Locate those in your local area with your Ouroboros.
    Regeneration        Regenerate wounds through the power of your Ouroboros.
    Sap                 Drain away the mana of a victim with your loving demon.
    Trace               Command your Ouroboros to trace the movements of someone.
    Soulmask            Conceal your location from prying eyes.
    Mount               Ride your ouroboros with great speed.
    Apathy              Become numb to the crushing pain of existence.
    Beckon              Your Ouroboros is an attractive force indeed.
    Strip               Command your demon to strip the defences from someone.
    Cowardice           Rob the courage from a victim..
    Sear                Order your Ouroboros to sear the flesh of an enemy.
    Disrupt             Disrupt the concentration of another.
    Healthtap           Tap into your mental reserves to heal your wounds.
    Blast               Order your Ouroboros to blast your enemies from the room.
    Mindread            Command your demon to listen to incoming tells.
    Manatap             Regain your mental strength, at a great cost.
    Contemplation       Perceive the state of another's mental strength.
    Fury                Cause those around you to go into an enhancing fury.
    Stain               Stain the soul of someone with your Ouroboros.
    Negation            Deny the protective shields.
    Syphon              Order your Ouroboros to draw afflictions away from you.
    Refuge              Seek refuge in the Inferno.
    Repulsion           None may enter here now.
    Catharsis           Perhaps their death is the greatest mercy there is.
    For more information, type AB MALIGNOSIS <ability>.

(Catharsis is not a 50% manakill anymore, by the way)

• Oh god..I see a lot of typo'd aliases in my future :(
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • There are two skills named SCAN in Nightfall.
  • The symbol of vitality shall thrart many a plan.

lol.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • So... is this still a thing?
  • Garryn said:

Yup.

Poignant, engaging, descriptive. 5/7
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Maegohr said:

Garryn said:

Yup.

Pithy
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Iniar said:

Maegohr said:

Garryn said:

Yup.

Pithy
    When in Rome...
  • The changes are now live!
  • Before you can start controlling wraiths, you need to attune yourself to the
    Rashirmir plane, using WRAITH ATTUNE. This attunement, once completed, will
    lasts for 30 real-life days.

This takes me to a room I can't escape and take unblockable damage until I die.

• Sorry, fixed.
  • sacrifices must be made for power
  • Anyone have thoughts on diabolist? This is my initial impression so far. I'm sure it will change as I conduct more testing.

It definitely feels like a ton of support skills thrown in with no 1v1 potential.

Afflictions: I've tried an affliction route with maladies, sensitivity, stillness, magick (nausea), and bodylink. I can stack afflictions fine, but that's where it ends. The damage from maladies is decent, but not reliable since you don't get the damage unless all 3 kelp affs (hemotoxin, clumsiness, and healthleech) are on the target. We don't have any burst skills that rely on afflictions like demon flay, cruellament, or brainmelt. We also don't get as much DoTs that mage has with icicles, healthleech, nausea, and most of their attacks do some damage and aren't pure aff skills.

Damage: Damage from general attacks such as ice/lightning with resistance reduction is decent, but linear. The damage from a fully charged moon/repetition is decent, but will never see use in group combat. It can be used in 1v1, especially if you add sun before the burst, but the build time is so slow that it's a subpar defiler burst. A full moon charge will probably take about 35-40 seconds if we assume 12% per attack. Defilers had their damage scaling as they gained more entropy, I'm wondering if this might be necessary after a review of damage numbers.

Wraiths: I absolutely hate the wraith mechanic. The abilities are fine, but autosummoning feels buggy, the autosummon/charge/passive/abilities don't appear to have much synergy, and the conditionals on gaining charges is annoying. I would rather have a type of attack increase the wraith charge, or it slowly gains charges than these conditionals. Tone down or move abilities around if you must, but having these conditionals gate abilities is frustrating.

For example, I rely on the glowing passive to reliably track sensitivity, but it will disappear on me if I don't use an inversion symbol. Glowing wraith seems to indicate you're going for an affliction path, but the requirement to gain charges is to use an inversion symbol. Using inversion is more of a defensive mechanic especially against other affliction classes. To maintain my glowing wraith and so it doesn't disappear on me, I have to slow down my affliction offense to use inversion? Furthermore, the abilities of glowing wraith (sensitivity, nightcurse) don't really benefit my chosen affliction path. I don't need another way to apply sensitivity again, and why is nightcurse here? Sure, my glowing wraith will autosummon if I use sensitivity symbol again, which I obviously will, but I still stand by my statement that there's no synergy.

I also feel like I'm limited to my wraiths where ethereal/reflective feel mandatory to have (I'm sure they're not), and that means I'm stuck with 2 wraiths left for autosummoning (probably glowing and vigorous). Why can't I just have all wraiths accessible with how charges are working right now. This just seems to be unnecessary micromanagement. I guess there's an artifact coming along that will increase my wraith to 5 or 6?

• Risca said:

It definitely feels like a ton of support skills thrown in with no 1v1 potential.

From what he was saying during the beta, this is pretty much what he intended the class to be.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:

Risca said:

From what he was saying during the beta, this is pretty much what he intended the class to be.
    I guess that goal was met. It's just a profession that a certain set of people may not be interested in when we have other options to choose from that provide offense and support (ie. summoner/wytch).

Shadowtwist looks to be one of their best support skills, but even I would not like to use it when I don't feel like I have much 1v1 potential. I guess it's ideally for a lowbie diabolist to hold/hinder the person you shadowtwist, and surviving with bark, wraiths, and inversion symbols.

• Huh, I thought wraiths auto desummoning got removed.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I could do without crippled limbs completely stopping my offense all together, especially since you neutered the class so hard that there is nothing left for it to hinder the other person. I could understand if it had potential to stack control, but it lacks anything remotely close to stopping someone's offense, while leaving you completely open for the other person to hinder you with even simple crippled limb stacks to the point where it doesn't matter what you may do, you're pretty much a dead person.

Also, I would like to possibly have a free reincarnate into a different statpack since the change went into effect.
  • That's really more of an outrider issue, they can stack salves so effectively with only just using benzene icecoat that almost no one can attack back.
  • Yeah, that is rough. Now you're just like every other class in the game that uses their limbs for attacks. How will you ever cope?