Skip to content

Slyrrgh the Revenant and Future Instance Bosses

Hello forum-goers!

Today, I would like to elaborate upon Slyrrgh the Revenant a bit, as I was the evil man tasked with his design.

It has come to my attention that the flavor behind him may not have been presented well enough. Slyrrgh is a Revenant, which is a vengeful spirit, and in his case, Slyrrgh wants to avenge the innocent, downtrodden children of Aetherius. The orphans, the innocent caught in the crossfire, that sort of thing.

I attempted to design Slyrrgh, lore/description wise in a very nightmarish fashion. He carries a doll in his description because he is protective of the innocence/child it represents, and uses his sadness over it to fuel his anger and his attacks.

His special attacks, and that of the creepy dolls and having to kill them, were also designed by myself. For anyone who does this encounter, we are certainly open to suggestions and feedback on it. Since it is the first time I have designed a boss on Imperian, it may not be perfect at first. Like Skegdald, though, I certainly value all your messages and feedback, so that we can learn from what you do and don't like, and use that knowledge in the future.

So, speaking of the future, we do intend on doing more of these instance bosses. A lot of work by Jeremy went into creating the new setup for instances in Imperian in preparation for this first bit with Slyrrgh(after I pestered him at every turn to do it :D), and with the intention for future releases and additional cool stuff for us to do with them. I intend to be on the front lines of designing future bosses/encounters/instance stuff as its something I'm very passionate about and interested in.

Special thanks to @Eoghan, @Garryn, and @Jeremy for working on coding Slyrrgh.

Let me know what you all think in this thread and in messages or emails or any other form of communication! Thanks!
"One batch, two batch. Penny and dime."

Comments

• I bugged him several times.

The last time I tried to kill him, his health suddenly went from like 90% to 30%. After that, he kept healing himself, and he made it all the way back up to 50% in 10-15 minutes before I finally gave up. Maybe he's not supposed to be soloable?
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • He has to be soloable, as he is in an instance. We will have to spend some time cleaning him up some more today.

• DimitriDimitri Somewhere cold
    I fought Slyrrgh without knowing about his quirk/Achillies heel item. Is there anything that could be done for those who tend to fly in blind like myself? Perhaps some sort of room warning like in the Church of Death about violent action? I'm fine with this being the price of my ignorance though, just wondering.
  • Slyrrgh still needs work.

You stab Slyrrgh the Revenant viciously with a polished ebony quarterstaff named Bellarose.
    You have scored a hit on the vitals of your enemy!
    Damage dealt: 424 (some resisted) Remaining: 99.61%
    EARTH IS AT 50
    AIR IS AT 50
    Balance Taken: 3.01s

Advancing rapidly, Slyrrgh the Revenant envelops you with its tentacles, draining strength from your body.
    Damage Taken: 184 unblockable (raw damage: 184)
    Slyrrgh the Revenant appears rejuvenated.

Slyrrgh the Revenant opens its maw and bellows out a terrifying roar, causing the ground around you to tremble.
    Fuelled by pure rage, the roar gradually intensifies.
    If you have any essence of the innocent, now would be a good time to THROW ESSENCE to interrupt the roar!
    If you do not have any, perhaps these dolls may be of interest...?
    You have recovered balance.

You stab Slyrrgh the Revenant viciously with a polished ebony quarterstaff named Bellarose.
    You have scored a staggering blow!
    Damage dealt: 212 (some resisted) Remaining: 34.80%
    EARTH IS AT 60
    AIR IS AT 60
    Balance Taken: 3.01s

He went from 99.61 to 34.80 in one attack. The rest of the attacks took away like .3% health, and then he healed all the way back up to 50% health before I gave up.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • edited August 2016
    I made massive changes to this boss this morning. I have added several new informational messages and two other ways to attack with the doll essence. In addition, you now get one essence for each doll killed, instead of only being able to have a max of one. The command pop up in the boss fight, but here they are for reference.

THROW ESSENCE TO INTERRUPT
    THROW ESSENCE TO WEAKEN
    THROW ESSENCE TO DAMAGE

Weaken will reduce the amount of damage he does. Damage will increase the amount of damage you do. Both will continue to stack the more you throw essence at him. Both slowly decay.