Skip to content

Telnet, Javascript and General Coding Questions

IniarIniar Australia
Making a thread to ask a whole bunch of questions:

does the telnet protocol for IRE always end a passage with GA?

are there any lightweight event engines for Javascript?
wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    @Garryn:

I kept wondering what the issue was with the webclient that made it unplayable but I had no way to test it...

So i wrote a prototype based off your client so I could test it in pieces...

It works well... however, once placed under duress...

As you can see, normal service has been restored after allowing the lapse to resolve: 

• IniarIniar Australia
    As you can see in the first picture, there is an up to 16 second lapse; this very similarly mirrors the experience I have had with the official webclient.

Under duress, the client will freeze and not perform. In the cases of major fights where there are > 5 people, this renders the webclient unusable.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited May 2016
    The idea of a jscript based client should be possible given the accessibility of modern browser based mmorpgs. Unless this was a specific limitation of using the telnet protocol, then certainly this should be a addressable issue.

More importantly, this should probably be the primary issue to address before further work in the webclient.
  • Prompts are always terminated with the IAC GA sequence, yes. There are other telnet sequences being passed around as well.

Speed is always a concern with the client - did numerous improvements there and more are on the way, however, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem that you are observing. I can test with your implementation if you want to send it my way.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Thanks.. sent a dropbox link via pm. Don't judge my messy amateur code too harshly :P
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Garryn,

or maybe it's the browser rendering all that information. idk. :(