Skip to content

Hello & questions on the game from a new player

Hello everyone. First to introduce myself being older than average player(mid 30s) and my profession and studies being related to PCs I played a lot of online games over the span of almost 18 years but I got little to no experience on online MUDs(just a few weeks Avalon from text MUDs and Drakkar from graphical ones plus one more in 2001 that I cant recall) even though I played lots single player MUDs in early to mid 90s, definitely handling and the experience is not the same. 

Started a char a bit on the tutorial, I usually like something close to or a paladin so I picked up Templar here to check it out. Got to admit the text client is very polished to what i remember on old MUDs and looks like being easier to learn. The only thing I dont like is the 10 min kickout if you got to afk a while. Can sometimes annoy cause when at home I may have to pause to take care my pet or the house etc and at work even though I got lots of mini breaks I got some afk times. I used to be good at RPing but havent done that in pretty much a decade so initially I probably should find a MUD where I can take it easy or slower back to RPing and also in general. Moreover in Avalon for example there was a problem that those that leaders the guilds you needed to advance were players who rarely logged so joining one took a week of trying to find the right person. Then there was some ranking and achievement system where higher ranked people who werent online mostly had to grant you certain achievements as completed so after hitting a wall i left it out - I do hope there isnt any situation like that here. It may come as a suprise but I love grinding mobs, especially if the rewards on character growth are worth it and, moreover, I sure like crafts too like making weapons/armor etc. I am not someone who likes much PVP although occasionally I do like to get involved in it as long as mechanics in the game doesnt ruin the gaming experience of the player you killed.

Taking all that into account would Imperian be a good game for me or any other Iron Realm game you would suggest? Checking all would be hard with the free time I got nowadays so I would prefer to invest time in the right game

Sorry for the long text and thank you in advance

Comments

• VailVail Ithaqua
    edited May 2016
    I'm new, too! The people I have interacted with so far are very helpful and patient. Thus far, I've had no problems advancing with Guild and city. The playerbase doesn't seem too big, so things don't seem too fast paced, giving you plenty of room to learn. I must ask a million questions a day, and I usually get really good answers that make moving along really easy. There's also a lot of scrolls to read in case you need insant information and no one is around, it's pretty helpful to have that at your fingertips all the time. I highly suggest joining a Guild, I don't think I'd be learning as quickly as I am without mine. I was told you can change the timeout with CONFIG TIMEOUT <minutes>, but I find I can still timeout anyways so I had to make some kind of trigger to stop that from happening because I have responsibilities too like my dog that means sometimes I have to get up immediately. However, I am not using the client provided by the game. I am using Mudlet, and just barely learning the coding but can do enough to get by, and people sometimes help, too! There seem to be a lot of in game achievements and milestones for you to hit without ever having to rely on anyone (there is literally an achievements system you can check out with HELP ACHIEVEMENTS I think). It's just your Guild requirements and if you wish to become higher ranked in your city that you have to work with other people, but it hasn't seemed a difficulty so far. The hunting is fun, and there's tons of quests and exploring. I can't craft anything, but it seems there's a ton of options. There seems to be a decent amount of combat in this game, but not necessarily a requirement if you don't want to do it. I haven't had to, anyways. As far as I can tell you don't lose experience upon dying, so you aren't hurting anyone's progress (or they're not hurting yours) if one of you dies. I find this game challenging in a good way, where there's plenty to learn and discover, but isn't impossible as long as you stick with it and take it a step at a time. It can be overwhelming at times, but it's still worth it.

I do suggest making sure you like your race, statpack, and profession before reaching a certain level (I think it's 30) because apparently you can freely change up to a certain point, but after that it'll cost you... so don't level too fast until you're really sure. Don't be afraid in taking your time when people ask you about joining important things like city, guild, sect, families, etc. I made a hasty decision at first about choosing a Guild and felt bad for leaving but now I love the one I am in and try to make sure I put more thought and research into my choices before diving right in. I'd also picked Amazon at first and decided I was't too fond of it, switched to Predator and I LOVE it.

I hope that helps, coming from someone who is also new but having played it just a bit longer than you. I am not sure about the other games by IRE.
  • I've sort of steered (not many) people away from Imperian, because it really wasn't what they were looking for, by what they stated.  But the casual experience you seem to be looking for really is probably best served here.  Things can be more intense if you want, but Imperian really is set up to allow the player to control their involvement in things like PvP to a huge degree, and there is also no XP loss.  Also, several of the IRE games have a player culture that is very anti-thief (this being one of them), even though the rules explicitly allow and encourage theft, whereas in some IRE games theft is not only accepted, but very much encouraged (Achaea for sure, and I think MKO to some small degree), so if you're a guy who AFKs a lot, especially more than a minute or two, this is probably a much safer game to do that in.  And yes, you will have people around to help you in Antioch.  
  • Welcome to both of you.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Thank you all and seems the game will be right for me. Another reason I dont like kickouts is I also work as a pc tech, so in between waiting progress bars etc when installing operating systems and other programs I can usually play a bit. For my class, race and stat pack, i am almost certain I like the race and class. For statpack I did not get a choice on character creation but it gave me athletic, not sure how well it goes with my Templar class but does seem to fit a mostly melee class
  • Athletic is the statpack of choice for templar.
  • I see, then it should be all good with it - templar seems quite similar to what a paladin is from what I saw
  • Syntax: CONFIG TIMEOUT <minutes>
    By using this command, you may tell the game to automatically kick you off if you have not entered a 
    command for however many minutes. You must enter a number between 2 and 30, inclusive. Setting your 
    TIMEOUT to 0 will turn it off.
  • Thank you, I will try it :)
  • Jules said:
    I've sort of steered (not many) people away from Imperian, because it really wasn't what they were looking for, by what they stated.  But the casual experience you seem to be looking for really is probably best served here.  Things can be more intense if you want, but Imperian really is set up to allow the player to control their involvement in things like PvP to a huge degree, and there is also no XP loss.  Also, several of the IRE games have a player culture that is very anti-thief (this being one of them), even though the rules explicitly allow and encourage theft, whereas in some IRE games theft is not only accepted, but very much encouraged (Achaea for sure, and I think MKO to some small degree), so if you're a guy who AFKs a lot, especially more than a minute or two, this is probably a much safer game to do that in.  And yes, you will have people around to help you in Antioch.  
    What MUD do you recommend, then?
  • Hrm, if I am understanding the question right, stuff like this: if they are the sort of person who asks "which game is right for me" and they say things like "I am a bit of an RP snob" and "I love long form emotes", I'd say at least try Aetolia.  If they are a player who has the mindset "the other player needs to lose something (other than pride) for me to feel like I have won, and I feel pretty sure I can end up at the top of the heap" - Achaea.  If you want a very large player base, also Achaea.  If you are unbelievably quirky, at least try MKO.  Still don't have a handle on Lusternia other than "omg Aetherships".  And I mean, sure, all of the games have a variety of players, but I do think they have sort of self-segregated a bit over time, and that's actually a good thing, I think, and is why they each have a somewhat different player culture, and offer somewhat different playing experiences, even beyond having different "skins" and mechanics.  
  • :V quirky you say?