Skip to content

Owned

Comments

• The arquebus has the same accuracy and is affected by the same factors as a blunderbuss.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Which is to say, apparently they were broken (due to a bug, blunderbusses effectively had an accuracy of 0). Should be fixed now.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Firearm accuracy is determine by engineering skill.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    Firearm accuracy is determine by engineering skill.
    This is not the case. Flintlock accuracy is fixed, and blunderbus accuracy depends on a number of factors related to the target and caster, and the intervening rooms, but there is no skill level factor involved.
  • All the ABs are wrong again, then.
    Engineering - Blunderbuss

Usage: FASHION BLUNDERBUSS
           LOAD BLUNDERBUSS
           SHOOT  

This is a longer version of the flintlock, designed to shoot over longer
    distances. Your accuracy with a blunderbuss will increase as your
    ability in Engineering increases.

Engineering - Flintlock

Usage: FASHION FLINTLOCK
           LOAD FLINTLOCK
           SHOOT 

This is a large blackpowder pistol, designed to cause considerable damage at close range. 
    Flintlocks take a considerable amount of time to load, but are quick to fire, thus they
    are better to load before combat. Flintlocks can only be shot at targets in the same room. Your accuracy with a flintlock will increase as your ability in Engineering increases.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• If you encounter an incorrect or outdated ability help, please file a TYPO report.
  • Anette said:
    ...correct me if I'm wrong.

k.

Known Proficiency teachers:

Straight, edged swords :  Rafe, the Blademaster (10157)
    Sabre and Scimitar     :  Rafe, the Blademaster (10157)
    Polearms and Glaive    :  Maenas, the Lost Dragoon (9078)
    Axes                   :  Axemaster Balan (10160)
    Hammers                :  Threlgar, the Outcast (15969)
    Dagger, Dirk           :  Arymaire Decarte, the merchant mistress (she wanders)
    Quarterstaff           :  Rythanis, the Herbalist (9856)

Proficiencies with no known teacher or only granted by class:

Maces, flails, etc     :  Unknown
    Spear, Javelin         :  Unknown
    Trident, Whip          :  Unknown

Firearms have no proficiency.
    Today we shall die.
  • (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • I forgot to use my gimmick to beat your gimmick :(
  • edited March 2016
    Kabaal said:
    I forgot to use my gimmick to beat your gimmick :(
    And for that, we thank you.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • https://ada-young.appspot.com/pastebin/2c0e86dd

Would've beaten him twice if I didn't run out of incendiary arrows. Le sigh.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

• Four fights against an outrider.  Warning, pastebin is long.

http://pastebin.com/uvJn2USz
    Today we shall die.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Let me summarise:

1. A look of pain crosses Dreacor's tormented face.
    2. You sense that Dreacor's entropy is now at 95%.
    3. H:447 M:242 Weak:0 XP:21.40 <-- db> 10th Tenebrae, 102 Early afternoon [T:Dreacor E:95% AaBbBlEHhHaW
    4. W] [KILL!]
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Longer summary:

• As Dreacor attempts to attack, a translucent shadow passes straight through him, choking him.
      Dreacor's a mithril spear bursts into flames as he stabs you through the chest with it.
      Damage Taken: 79 cutting, physical (raw damage: 182)
      As Dreacor attacks, the swirling bileshroud seeps into his lungs, causing him to cough violently.
      The foul black bile on Dreacor's spear oozes into your wounds, poisoning your blood.
      You are afflicted with nausea.
      An attack on your immune system causes your body to feel weak.
      You are afflicted with hemotoxin.
      Dreacor selects a small, compound-soaked bit of cloth from his stash and tosses it to a mountain
      lioness. At the first sniff of the pheromones, the lioness is caught in a surge of hormonal power.
      H:140 M:207 Weak:0 XP:21.84 <-- db> 10th Tenebrae, 102 Early afternoon [T:Dreacor E:70% AaBbBlEHhHaW
      W] (H: -79)
      A red-tailed hawk pecks at you painfully.
      Damage Taken: 14 cutting (raw damage: 30)
      The tempest rears up and bits of debris batter Dreacor painfully.
      You have slain Dreacor.
    Today we shall die.
  • SalikSalik Da Burgh
    Iniar said:
    Let me summarise:

1. A look of pain crosses Dreacor's tormented face.
    2. You sense that Dreacor's entropy is now at 95%.
    3. H:447 M:242 Weak:0 XP:21.40 <-- db> 10th Tenebrae, 102 Early afternoon [T:Dreacor E:95% AaBbBlEHhHaW
    4. W] [KILL!]
    That's based off of having the proper seeds in place, whirl balance, and enough entropy. Defiler's still just a timebomb, though!
  • edited March 2016
    Am I the only one that thinks Defiler looks really, really boring to play? Even less so to fight against, if you're not arti'd out the wahoo.. Can't really do much once they 100% entropy, which isn't really hard at all to do. Then they basically have you permanently defensive/running with the threat of bellow. 
    The amounts of passive damage the class has is kinda silly, too. Shroud/Shadow (can kill, yes, but you lose any pressure on the defiler by doing so, and cd to resummon it is absurdly short)/Tempest. Fairly sure I'm missing one, but might not be.

Then if they feel like being creative, can use augurapply to nearly permanently prone someone (at the very -least- long enough for them to die to your damage) - I wish I could stand playing classes like that, I'd probably have a blast.

Also the fact that shadow/shroud proc on p much anything that does -any- (bar bleed ticks) damage. Sure shroud isn't huge, but with something like outrider it definitely adds up.
  • Outrider comments on passive damage and ease of use of another profession, story at 11.
  • augurapply doesn't really work that way at all
  • edited March 2016
    Uh?
    I never said Outrider was any better, but I'm also a Berserker so I'm not sure what the point of your post was. Way to completely miss the point, I guess..

Edit: Considering it's what Ahkan does, I'd say it does work that way. In fact, it's who I learned it from. Perhaps looking at the different combos you can do, before making a comment like that, might be a great idea.
  • edited March 2016
    One time I devised a 'death by spam' strategy using bileshroud, armour charger, pain soulbinding. Sadly the plan backfired because a) I was doing maybe 5% more damage than before cumulatively and b) cMud punished me accordingly for my transgression with lovely bursts of complete system stalling.

Defiler is a timebomb (like a lot of prep-oriented classes) but the tradeoff is that it is slow and its afflictions don't really stack, so hindering someone can be tough. It also has no real other options to push its kill route since it does a whopping 4 bleed per round and can't stick haemophilia without sacrificing all of its other resources that it would need to capitalize on it.

And no, augurapply doesn't work that way. It's blocked by clarity and has an internal cooldown when used off-balance, so there's an easy safeguard to prevent the apply on break. Perhaps listening to people who play the class, before making a comment like that, might be a great idea.

• Using the content of your post to draw a humorous conclusion does not always automatically mean that you are the target of the joke, but points for pointing out the pointlessness of pointing at your points to make a point.
  • SalikSalik Da Burgh
    As Wysrias said, augur (anything) is pretty poor in practice. Using it sacrifices one half of the Defiler's combo - either treant or torment attack (both are used in conjunction with Ravage) - and it demands that the person be on that heal balance in order to make use of it. If they're already off, then it does nothing but waste an attack. The affliction pressure is weak, with the greatest pressure coming if you're using bloodrain for a poison. That's roughly 3 afflictions every combo, with two of them always a poison affliction. Even if you use targeting and time it so that you stack a ton of salve afflictions at once - and I have done so a few times- under even ideal circumstances it isn't long enough to kill someone with one of the instakills.

Bleeding attacks are extremely weak. The largest bleed source is 4 from the flail and another 5 if you use TREANT SHRED. 9 a combo is nothing, particularly not in the days of knights doing 22+ a combo. Sadly, the change to thorns is what affected that. Some changes there could adjust how it would work.

Damage is the main thing. There are passive damage sources, but shroud is weak, with a raw damage of 2. Tempest is something, bloodrain can sometimes do a little damage. There is shadow, which can sting a bit, and arachnids, which nobody uses because it's slow and doesn't do much damage for the time it takes to summon. Defiler, as painful as it's one trick is, is entirely a one-trick pony. Once you get the entropy/seeds on a target, they explode. The only exceptions are those with absolutely massive health values, and even then you can kill them if you use the saps properly.

In concept, it's a lot of fun and an incredible class. In practice, it needs a lot of work to have any versatility in kill methods.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Defiler is terrible. There is no versatility.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • SalikSalik Da Burgh
    Iniar said:
    Defiler is terrible. There is no versatility.
    Pretty much the problem. I love so much about the class, but it can't do more than the one thing. It does the one thing very well, but that's -all- it does. The utility is pretty minor. I would love to make bleeding viable again via classleads, and I have two or three ideas to do so - including doing so without just stacking it onto the current Entropy-> Death buildup that it has.

• The most depressing part about Defiler is that the pieces are totally there, they just don't fit together. Augur is a fun concept that is probably way too OP if employed in a more effective way. The lack of actual affliction stacking is intentional because of what could theoretically be done with empower/germinate, but the opportunity cost is way too high when the decision is "able to use a finisher" or "can kind of emulate a nightshade stack, sort of?". The resources are neat but the way you use them is scaled terribly, with equal costs between minor things for the sake of unifying a skill (look at AB DESECRATION GERMINATE, it's a mess - empower is even worse). Defiler is also really good at limb breaks! It just can't really do anything with them outside of some cheesiness with augur or sticking the amazing-but-cumbersome bloodtears affliction.

The pacing and theme will always be my favorite part of the class. I like the idea of being slow, sturdy, but brawly, and they have a lot of unique defences and strengths - Shadowbinding is like the Kaido of demonic. But the mechanics, man. I sent in a 10-page thing on the heels of a grant writing marathon (because when I get on a roll, bad things happen), but I doubt anything will ever come of it.

I guess Owned in this case is that I sort of feel like coming back, to play Defiler of all things. Ugh.

• SalikSalik Da Burgh
    Wysrias, you can always come back and help me with the next round of classleads to make Defiler a lot more versatile. I have two or three main skill targets that would help with that, while retaining a sense of balance.
  • H:550(100%) M:485(83%) <eb db> 0 0 0 [60h/33m] AFF:1 MENT:0 F: 0 W: 5 E: 0 A: 0 <Lartus>
    Linslet's aura of weapons rebounding disappears.
    A living hive treant starts releasing a strangely smelling substance and cuts you lightly, causing 
    it to seep into your pores. The hawthorn seed inside you suddenly erupts into life before withering 
    away.
    The expanding seed cuts through your veins, causing massive bleeding.
    Following Linslet's gesture, a living hive treant whirls a branch mightily towards you, releasing a 
    spore of the hawthorn tree that swiftly burrows into your skin.
    A living hive treant starts releasing a strangely smelling substance and cuts you lightly, causing 
    it to seep into your pores. The hawthorn seed inside you suddenly erupts into life before withering 
    away.
    The expanding seed cuts through your veins, causing massive bleeding.
    it to seep into your pores. The elder seed inside you suddenly erupts into life before withering 
    away.
    The expanding seed releases a dark substance, poisoning your open wounds.
    Damage Taken: 253 poison (raw damage: 300) -253 poison
    it to seep into your pores. The blackthorn seed inside you suddenly erupts into life before 
    withering away.
    The expanding seed releases sharp thorns, cutting you painfully.
    Damage Taken: 66 poison (raw damage: 78) -66 poison
    Linslet concentrates and the shroud of bile around her suddenly explodes outwards.
    The flying toxic bile envelops Juran, burning his skin painfully.
    The flying toxic bile envelops Ohm, burning his skin painfully.
    The flying toxic bile envelops you, burning your skin painfully.
    Damage Taken: 91 poison, mental (raw damage: 135) -91 poison, mental
    At Linslet's order, a living hive treant bellows loudly at you and agonising pain floods you as the 
    accumulated entropic energy explodes in a massive outburst of blood and gore.
    You have been slain by Linslet.
  • SalikSalik Da Burgh
    Yep, that's what Defiler does well. She also (I saw the callouts) had the saps on you, I believe, which is a -25% resist to the damage types for a short time. However, here's the thing. If that -doesn't- kill you, Defiler can't kill you. I'm still shocked that Dreacor died to it earlier, as most people can tank through the damage.
  • Context: Iluv had all my necessary seeds, was psysapped, poisonsapped, and had 100% entropy. I also failed the burst once against her due to some pretty good shielding nonsense.

That was a fun fight.  You actually freaked me out with the affliction output a bit.
    Today we shall die.
  • 100% to dead off a timebomb is pretty bleh. That said, its all they've got currently. Accept that until they get something else it will probably be that way and just realise that you'll need to hard reset the fight sometimes.