Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• edited March 2016
    I have to share, for sure, when I am bashing, often, but I can easily get more than enough gold/XP out of it to be happy, and considering I bashed to Aspect in a couple weeks and am feeding the gold sink that is a token house, I have to wonder at what point it wouldn't be "okay" in terms of returns.  Perhaps we just have different expectations.

FWIW, if someone's bashing over you and that's detrimental to your bashing, just poke them.  I've never had an issue with doing so myself (and frankly I'm as prone to doing it as anyone else because I've basically trained myself to go MOVE -> press f5 a lot -> REPEAT without really looking), and most people are more than happy to go to the other end of the spot or just go elsewhere, because they don't want the pain of being bashed over either.

[edit]: All of the above said, I'd be more in favour of "fixing" these problems by having more high end bashing areas in general.  There's like ... maybe five that are worthwhile.  Spread it out and it'd be less a problem.  Failing this, retooling the existing ones to be in line with the more frequented areas would be great.
  • I usually just move to another area, tbh.  I do think that what makes DP get a little crazy is mostly the gold.  I don't need gold (but I do like the decent quest xp), and areas that don't have good gold are just generally great bashing because they are usually quieter.  And yeah, repop rate for Imperian is -incredible- in most places, including DP... but there are some people who can outpace it.  It's not that I don't have other areas to go to, it's mostly that DP lets me grind away at a bit of quest xp too.  Basically, we want very similar things, though.  
  • edited March 2016
    Schrov'ik is pretty decent coin and a good repop, it's where I've been mostly going myself.

Quests in general need some TLC on the experience curve and discoverability in general.  Personally while it'd be a fair bit of work, what I'd love for the devs to do is to sit down with the areas that don't really have the foot traffic, and perhaps give <other> reasons to be there since they don't compete with the others in the XP/gold turnaround.  Interesting quests with decent rewards would be a good way to do that, I think.  I woulda never gone to Cinua if not for the questline, for instance.
  • edited March 2016
    I'm trying specifically to avoid areas that have "good coin".  Want decent, but not "holy crap amazing" quest xp for exactly the same reason.  Basically, if there is already a DP that has shitty gold drops and no gold for corpses, -that's- where I want to hunt.  If not, I'd appreciate a couple.  
  • I can think of a couple, but they're ALSO bad experience, which is something that should get fixed.  
  • edited March 2016
    Right.  If there is such an animal as the one I am looking for in my first post, I haven't heard of it.  The "good but not amazing quest xp for corpses" is the sticking point, pretty much.  As for solid bashing xp only, for now that is easy to get, although if there were any decent number of serious bashers (or even noobs trying to level), we'd be hurting too.  Not many really good areas.  

EDIT:  most "serious" quests definitely seem to be more for the pleasure of completing the quest/figuring it out than they are for getting quest xp, and if I ever did try to do more of them, that is the mindset I'd approach them with.  Certainly, I'd hope for something that didn't feel like a slap in the face if I managed to complete one, but I'm not really expecting to get meaningful xp off them once you consider time and effort invested.  I think it's hard to calibrate them, because, once someone does figure a quest out... they can probably repeat it almost as if they were bashing if they figure it's worth their while.  Which probably makes it hard for others trying to do the quest for the first time/discovery factor... I'm also just way too dumb to actually do real quests for xp (and I don't think I am the only one) :(   
  • This would be awesome if it was applied universally to this sort of list, server-side:

• The Mavitt Woods is a good place for exp that doesn't output a lot of gold, it even has a little mob turnin.

As far as quests go, if you want a nice challenge you can find darfinn in the ik'taru expanse (I hear this one was fixed by a recently revealed immortal, way to go!) or feed the monkeys in N'aryanvella. That explorer in the desert with the monk statues has also eluded me thus far, but that needs some OLD knowledge of the game to complete.

If you want virtue drops, summon/kill/turnin boss mobs. You have virtue drops now.

Khous, Necropolis, Demon's Pass, and all areas of the Underworld are on mob spawners, and nearly all of them have turnin mobs available.

Iaat is a good example of high exp and decent (but not amazing) gold output. Crawlers in the Ancient Sewer Ruins are also high exp with not much gold, last I remember. Bloodstone quarry, zh'serurn, and most of the city sewers are decent exp without much gold. There's lots of areas out there if you're looking for something. I always disliked when someone said 'there's nowhere to hunt' just because someone was already in dp and necro.
  • Now that I have artifacts, I was going to make a trigger to give them to someone if they do something like POKE or TAP. I'm afraid someone might do that mid-fight though.

Is there a chance of a command LEND <artifact> (all) TO <player> to transfer artifacts to someone's inventory?
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Achievements for fulfilling bounties would be nice
  • Is it possible to get statistics on how many times have you spun the wheel and the value of your winnings
  • WHEEL WINNINGS OHM

> Spins: Too many times
    > Winnings: Not enough
  • edited March 2016
    Jules needs to do more boss mobs yeah :/  Less realistic for RG for the time being... They stress me out big time though and I don't know anyone who would do them with me on the regular, either.  I should try to find a partner, though.  Maybe.     

Mavitt is actually one of my poster children for the kind of area that could use some tlc.  I remember it being sort of "not bad" when I was a wee Jules, and when you mentioned it, I thought I should go back and see what it looks like to my little RG.  Mavitt definitely isn't -terrible- for regular bashing XP.  And yeah, Crankle takes corpses, and doesn't give much gold (which is good, for my purposes).  However, he ALSO gives a bit less than half the quest XP Tobias does for the lowest wave creatures (zombies) in DP... Which is too bad, because the mobs in Mavitt hit constantly with most of the more annoying masked affs, and are not nearly as plentiful as what is in DP in any given wave.  And of course, the waves in DP just get better and better, both in terms of plain old bashing, and in terms of what sort of quest XP Tobias gives for them... That area is good enough that my RG really can share the area comfortably with another person - unless that person is a supreme power basher :/  And the quest xp in DP isn't holy crap amazing (but in a sense it is, because most other places seem to be so crappy).  

If you're not after that bit of quest XP (and I am already not after gold), there is plenty of really good hunting under current conditions (there wouldn't be if the game had more players trying to level, though).  Miss RG gets about an hour a day most days, so 7-8 hours a week minimum... but yeah, I freely admit I look for really choice hunting.  If DP is a hot mess (which it often is), I go to some of the choicest bashing areas in the game.  I don't think any of them allow me to chip away at getting a bit of quest XP in the way that DP does though, and it's less realistic for her to start doing boss mobs on the regular.  Because I am pretty sure you need a reliable partner for most of those - who would need to be around, and willing to do some of those mobs.  And doing those mobs really can be a little intense for people who aren't Shou.  It's something Jules should try to do though.  At least sometimes.  Maybe I could pressure Arakis into it and we could both stress out and die a lot :D
  • edited March 2016
    All I'll really say is that you won't ever find a superb or even half-decent bashing area to get quest xp from. There's a reason there were only about 5 quest Aspects before Cairnae happened, there's just no way to get consistent quest xp. Mob turnins are pitifully low because that's just how it is.

Amaris got her quest aspect from completing a plethora of medium quests many many many times over.

I got my quest aspect through boss and mob turnins, but my kill amount is STUPIDLY high.

Cairnae bumped the highest quest level from 103 to 126, causing people like Septus to have a quest level that rivals their pk level.
  • Quest XP is definitely the hardest to get, I think.  I have to wonder how much that's worth changing though.  It's not inherently bad to have one progression slower than another.  My personal biggest problem with questing isn't so much the XP so much as it being really difficult to get stuck into most of the quests without guidance from someone.  There's other methods to get quest XP of course, but really, the questing should be the focus, IMO.
  • Anette said:
    Quest XP is definitely the hardest to get, I think.  I have to wonder how much that's worth changing though.  It's not inherently bad to have one progression slower than another.  My personal biggest problem with questing isn't so much the XP so much as it being really difficult to get stuck into most of the quests without guidance from someone.  There's other methods to get quest XP of course, but really, the questing should be the focus, IMO.
    This was one reason why I had suggested harvesting shards provide some quest XP. It takes 10 seconds per harvest, had a chance of getting killed and nobody uses them anymore. 
  • I am still kind of lukewarm to the shard quest xp thing (but I am still not vehemently against it either).  I still really don't want people who are miserable at shard falls (and who usually make me kind of miserable, too, because it is so clear that THEY are miserable) to feel like something is just too tempting to pass up... like, um, that time when I gave my horse low carb grain.  He loves grain.  And this was grain!  Sort of.  So he tried to eat it.  But it was terrible and he hated it, so eventually he actually peed in it in a sort of equine protest because I was trying to make him eat something healthy and he JUST WANTED THE GRAIN.  ALL OF IT.  NOW... Kind of like some magickers want SHARDS OM NOM NOM.  I am not sure if that analogy totally works.  But it kind of does! 

BUT.  If it ends up feeling like a small perk to sects that want drops though, that is a -good- carrot effect, for example.  You were asking for a smallish amount anyway (which is good), so I don't see it doing huge good or harm either way.  
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    edited March 2016
    Now that I have artifacts, I was going to make a trigger to give them to someone if they do something like POKE or TAP. I'm afraid someone might do that mid-fight though.

Is there a chance of a command LEND <artifact> (all) TO <player> to transfer artifacts to someone's inventory?
    Make it a trigger off of a tell. Use your clientside ally handling. If ally give arties else don't.
  • edited March 2016
    Inhume is insane for a power tied to an aspect type. How many other player-inflicted malus' last a full HOUR, ruining that persons ability to do combat in a time when most people use or need at least one starburst? There's -no- counter to it, and the cool down is stupidly low. The duration should be halved, and/or the cooldown doubled. better yet the affect should wear off after a death or two.

Edit: I always stop doing things for an hour when I'm inhumed but I've been made aware they only affect PK.
  • Arakis said:
    Inhume is insane for a power tied to an aspect type. How many other player-inflicted malus' last a full HOUR, ruining that persons ability to do combat in a time when most people use or need at least one starburst? There's -no- counter to it, and the cool down is stupidly low. The duration should be halved, and/or the cooldown doubled. better yet the affect should wear off after a death or two.

Edit: I always stop doing things for an hour when I'm inhumed but I've been made aware they only affect PK.
    This is a combat/classlead issue, and as such is out of the scope of this thread.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • This is a second warning that this thread is not intended for discussion of combat issues or far-reaching changes to Imperian - it is specifically intended for quality of life and small changes that can be implemented quickly without balance impact. I've had to remove several posts for continuing the discussion I've already noted is off topic.

Please don't continue to misuse this thread. There are plenty of other threads to post in,and you can even make a new one. I don't want to hand out bans, and I don't want to close this thread, but I will do both if necessary.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • OhmOhm
    edited March 2016
    Would it be possible to edit character descriptions using an editor (instead of in-line)

Alternatively, we see user profiles on the website. Is there a way to make changes there and have it reflect in-game

Just to add to this. Since many people change races (either through Moradeim modulation or through the race-change artifact) would it be possible to store multiple descriptions (one for each race?)

DESC SIDHE <description>
    DESC DWARF <description>
  • edited March 2016
    Add emotes to the gmcp Comm.Channel stuff

E: I just used a color before I finally got the Comm.Channel working, but putting emotes on gmcp would let me make it universal for other people's configs
  • A spin off of the treasure maps discussion in the general discussion, but since people have won artifact snowglobes, knowing how until you can shake it again would be really helpful.
  • IniarIniar Australia

Switching circles while keeping the current professions would cost you 300 lessons.

Information as to when this cost will drop one tier will be appreciated.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Familiar battle competitions during festivals. 
  • Mercer said:
    A spin off of the treasure maps discussion in the general discussion, but since people have won artifact snowglobes, knowing how until you can shake it again would be really helpful.
    I would settle for making snow globes tradeable.  Seems like everyone has one except for me. :(
  • So CONFIG AUTODOOR opens doors automatically. 

Would it also be possible to enable it to close the door behind you - or make it configurable optionally. 
  • I'd love to see some kind of indicator on score or something that showed you what your cumulative XP bonus was at the moment? Similar to the Crit Chance indicator.
  • In MAP LIST - would it be possible to also note how much of each area you have explored?