Skip to content

Newbie Questions

ChadeChade London
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
So it seems I've got a very old character (382?) in Imperian which I never really played but has a few credits and lessons waiting to be used. Think I might give it a whirl.

I remember absolutely nothing about Imperian except it used to have some sort of death realm? It's the IRE game I've played the least.

So my question are:

How do the orgs break down in terms of alignment/politics?

What solid but interesting PK classes are available?

Following on from my class question - how important is race selection in Imperian?

How easy is it to join orgs - particularly during off hours - I'm UK based? I seem to be enemied to Stavenn for some reason although I'm damned if I can remember why!

Thanks!

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    Chade said:
    How do the orgs break down in terms of alignment/politics?
     - (demonic): Khandava (forest) + Stavenn (city)
     - (anti-magick): Ithaqua (forest) + Antioch (city)
     - (magick): Celidon (forest) + Kinsarmar (city)

What solid but interesting PK classes are available?
     - (demonic): deathknight, summoner
     - (anti-magick): outrider, berserker
     - (magick): druid, runeguard

Following on from my class question - how important is race selection in Imperian?
     - not at all, stats are independent of race

How easy is it to join orgs - particularly during off hours - I'm UK based? I seem to be enemied to Stavenn for some reason although I'm damned if I can remember why!
     - relatively easy, off-hours, you're going to have a tough time though.

Thanks!

wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Thanks for that - really helpful.

As a follow on question - what classes are best for PvE if I'm looking to level quickly - or is there an alternate route to standard PvE for leveling (i.e. influencing in Lusternia)?
  • SalikSalik Da Burgh
    Chade...enemied in Stavenn. Am I going to have to kill you? ;) 

Anyway, I personally quite enjoy Wytch for PK as well. Diabolist is interesting, and I'm just getting to using Defiler. Summoner's good from what I hear. Race is just a bit of RP stuff and a few abilities, since statpacks handle stats on their own. 

UK hours shouldn't be a problem at all. At least when you get past this time of day. Population picks up more towards American afternoon/evening, and seems decent even in the early part of the day.

Leveling is pretty much bashing, though you can also gain some experience through PK and quests. No XP loss on death means that PK isn't bad for levelling, if you can get into fights. I've gained a few here and there. Nothing like influencing though. For classes...I really can't say for anything but Demonic. Over here, you want to go Diabolist first for PvE. Wytch is fast/strong, but has no passive healing aside from a rune that costs inks and is room-specific. Summoner's supposed to be good, but I haven't played.

For Magick, I've heard that Druid and Mage are both decent. For AM, I've mostly heard that Predator is really weak for bashing. I'll let people with more experience take those circles.

-Hiri
  • Iniar's answer about organizations is technically correct, but it leaves a lot out.

He classifies Antioch in the anti-magick circle. This is technically correct, because it's in that circle mechanically, but it's somewhat lacking because Antioch doesn't actually notably oppose magick anymore. The current role right now is more of a global antagonist slash expansionist empire. When the world bands together to fight against a spirit from the Underworld, Antioch backs the spirit. When the world tries to bind the Blood God of the orcs, Antioch fights on his behalf. If you join Antioch expecting to be a noble paladin crusading against demons and wizards, you're gonna be sadly disappointed, because Antioch's primary goal is to have fun, which typically means picking bar fights with the entire world for the sheer joy of fighting against the entire world.

Ithaqua holds to the anti-magick line and hates demons and magick. They're also tiny, ineffective, isolationist, and generally irrelevant. They're nominally Antioch's ally, but generally speaking Antioch either ignores them or actively works against them.

Stavenn and Khandava are demonic, in that they use demons as a power source, but they're generally not evil. A good comparison here is warlocks from WoW; you can use demonic powers while generally being a good guy, and that's demonic's thing recently. When the Shade came to the world promising power to those who helped him loose plagues upon the world, the demonic cities tried to stop him. Antioch, the city of priests and paladins and such, is the city that released the plagues. Khandava specifically tends to have a heavier RP focus if that's a thing you want.

Magick(Kinsarmar and Celidon) slants towards a 'good' alignment, generally speaking, though they tend to take a neutral stance on things. Kinsarmar in particular is currently allied with Stavenn and Khandava to fight against Antioch, because Antioch has a huge population and generally acts like a cartoon supervillain.

In short, the guys who look like the good guys are the bad guys, the guys who look like the bad guys are the good guys, the guys who look like the neutral guys are neutral guys but they team up with the good guys because the bad guys sort of want to rule/destroy the world.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited February 2016
    Chade said:
    Thanks for that - really helpful.

As a follow on question - what classes are best for PvE if I'm looking to level quickly - or is there an alternate route to standard PvE for leveling (i.e. influencing in Lusternia)?

To the best of my knowledge, most of the classes are pretty decent in PvE now.

My thoughts on the classes:

Demonic: Wytch, Diabolist, and Assassin all require a fair bit of affliction tracking and coding to PvP decently, so if that's not your thing you may want to stand clear. Summoner and Deathknight are great picks. Defiler is weird and awkward and clumsy I'd avoid it but I don't know that I'd call it bad.

Magick: Bard, Renegade, Hunter all require a fair bit of affliction tracking and coding to PvP decently. Druid and Runeguard are great picks. Mage is controversial but probably too fragile to be a solid pick right now.

Antimagick: Predator is garbage, avoid at all costs. All the other classes are pretty decent, with a few caveats. Monk is limited to weird gimmick kills in 1v1 PvP if you care about that. Templar 1v1 requires affliction tracking. Outrider and Berserker both require some tracking, but not a whole lot, and it's fairly easy. Outrider is the easiest class to pick up in PvP. Ranger has weaker bashing than most classes and fairly strong PvP with the caveat that it is a limb damage class and suffers greatly against good parrying, but it's still a solid class. Priest is solid but ultimately boring in PvP; most Priests end up abandoning the profession.

For pure bashing, I'd do Summoner or Deathknight in demonic, Runeguard or Druid in Magick, and Berserker or Templar in AM.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    Pure bashing, Mage in Magick imo.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure