Skip to content

Netflix Recommendations

2»

Comments

• Knights of Sidonia is an interesting and gory anime. Some similar themes to AoT. Also, acceleration is a jerk.

If you like police dramas, both The Killing and Happy Valley are good. The latter is set in Britain though.

It's super hard to pick just one, but The Man from Nowhere is a great Korean action thriller to start.

Oh and this one's older, but The Grifters. I've been wanting to watch it, and it just recently was added to streaming. Incredible and dark.

• +1 for The Man from Nowhere.
  • I didn't see anyone mention Dr. Who (the new ones).
  • Edmund said:
    I didn't see anyone mention Dr. Who (the new ones).
    Probably because they've already all seen it if certain people are representatives of the whole.
  • For foodies like Gurn and myself, Masterchef Junior is on Hulu and it is just amazing to watch what those 8,10, 12 year olds can do in a kitchen. Netflix has the original and new Dr. Who, Warehouse 13, and The Adventures of Merlin, a great mix of fun and suspense and fans of Buffy will recognize one of the regulars.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Valar Morghulis!
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Daredevil was significantly better than I expected. I expected acting like I saw in Gotham or Agents of Shield(both of which are like, CW levels of acting), but it was actually pretty good.
  • Agents of SHIELD is amazing, you blasphemer. Gotham is horrible, no good, very bad awful.

• edited June 2015
    Oh, and since we don't really have an appropriate thread, wanna tell everybody that they should go see Mad Max, because it is a phenomenal movie. You also get to look at this beautiful man through the entire movie, if the whole "best action movie released in years" part doesn't convince you. =D

• Netflix recs:
    Daredevil
    Knights of Sidonia

Crunchyroll:
    Kill la Kill
    Aldnoah Zero

Movies in Theaters:
    Mad Max
    Ex Machina

• IniarIniar Australia
    Not a netflix show but am enjoying Mr. Robot very much.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited August 2015
    Iniar said:
    Not a netflix show but am enjoying Mr. Robot very much.
    If you haven't seen this, highly recommend.

Great shot composition, great exposition, great track construction, storyline ok. Art.
  • The Great Mouse Detective
  • I came into that movie not expecting too much, but it's honestly one of the best comedies I've seen in a very long time.
  • Bathan said:
    I randomly discovered Law and Order SVU while stranded in rural Maine. It's kind of amazing, but apparently I'm like a decade late on this one. Stebler confirmed for best macho cop character ever.
    Great show. Stebler is a badass. Watch it from the beginning if you can.

If you like cop type shows, I'm a huge fan of NCIS. Gibbs is more of a badass than any cop leader on any cop show ever.
  • edited August 2015
    Dollhouse (if you somehow missed it).  I'd put in a trailer, but they all suck... Umm, what you need to know is kickass Joss Whedon show about mindslaves that are programmed to fulfill rich people's fantasies.  
  • MadrigalMadrigal Missouri, US
    Someone mentioned The Killing.  I just finished season 2.  After watching all 8 seasons of Dexter, I really expected to be let down.  Alas, no.  If you enjoy a good Crime Drama, I think you'd enjoy this one.
    My only regret is it's over after two seasons.
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    Narcos.
  • if you haven't watched "Black Mirror" and love twilight zone-esque stories, I recommend it.  I'm in the middle of watching the 4400 and am enjoying it so far. As far as films, "Thale" was great.  
    "in the shade, the gypsies spin, among the cloves, they drop their skin"
    Black Mirror was great.  Best scifi series on Netflix, I thought.
  • Watching Suits. Wife picked it, now I'm addicted.
  • PARKS AND REC.

I don't know why I didn't watch this show when it first came out.
  • TV Show Recs Revised:
    Parks and Rec.
    Master of None
    Orphan Black
    Luther
    The Knick

Movie Recs:
    Sicario
    Hateful Eight
    Revenant
    Force Awakens

• I'd recommend Making a Murderer on Netflix even if you aren't an Internet-sleuthing reddit fanboy. No matter how it has been selectively dramatized to up the rage factor, it really does offer a microcosm of the systemic issues in today's CJ world.
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • Eldreth said:
    I'd recommend Making a Murderer on Netflix even if you aren't an Internet-sleuthing reddit fanboy. No matter how it has been selectively dramatized to up the rage factor, it really does offer a microcosm of the systemic issues in today's CJ world.
    I liked reading about the show more than watching it, but it was still interesting, and I -really- dislike 'true crime' dramatics.

• I've been watching Better Call Saul and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

My only complaint is I wish I had rewatched Breaking Bad to more easily remember some of the character references!
  • Hexe said:
    I've been watching Better Call Saul and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

My only complaint is I wish I had rewatched Breaking Bad to more easily remember some of the character references!
    Glad it's finally available on Netflix. I've seen Breaking Bad so much that it's probably a section of my brain by now. Love Saul.