Skip to content

Pathfinder

So, Pathfinder is a Pencil & Paper type RPG system, like Dungeons & Dragons, for those who are not aware. I would like to gauge interest in who would be interested in attempting to play a campaign of it online. There are tools to host games like this now, and I have been thinking about giving it a shot lately. Roll20.net looks particularly promising, as everything is free for the GM and Players alike. I have never GM'd a game, and would rather be a player. However, I am willing to give it a good try if that's what is necessary to get this rolling(heh).

Here's a link to a really good Pathfinder wiki, if anyone wants to read about it: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    I'd love to be involved but my time is scarce now. :( Can I make cameos? :(
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Uhhhh, sure.

Ideally I'd like at least three other people interested in this and willing to be patient and give it a shot.

Anyone who has experience in running a game like this too is most welcome.
  • My GURPS group tried playing online when one of our players was out of the country for a solid bit of time. The tools available felt a little meh at the time. That was about a year ago though so maybe something new is available?
  • Claudius said:
    My GURPS group tried playing online when one of our players was out of the country for a solid bit of time. The tools available felt a little meh at the time. That was about a year ago though so maybe something new is available?

Yeah, check out Roll20.net, I dunno if you have already or not but it looks very solid. They have support for a ton of systems including GURPs, like built in character sheets and the ability to import existing characters.
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    I used roll20 a few years ago for a Call of Cthulhu one off, it did everything we needed it to. I would hope it has only gotten better since.
  • Yeah, it looks solid, but I haven't messed with it due to lack of interest in this. I would love to play Pathfinder, particularly as the Sorcerer class. Looks fun.
    No experience with Pathfinder and even with just a weekly sesh I doubt I could play, sorry. Maybe if it was a system I wasn't completely unfamiliar with. Years ago when I last tried to do tabletop, (before becoming a parent) I really wanted to play a Nightbane (Palladium) game, but no one knew what it was and I had no desire to {D|G}M a game I'd never played before. I don't know if I'd even enjoy it anymore, but I think back on being a teenager and the fun times that were had with D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia, etc... I don't know if it is just nostalgia or if I really would like to do it again someday.

These days I enjoy things at 60fps so much I'm afraid to go back to dated methods of gaming, like MUDs, tabletop, or consoles.
  • I didn't mean you specifically had to play, buddy. I appreciate the response though. I thought amongst all us RP nerds that play these games there might be at least 2-3 people wanting to try something like this. Not the end of the world that there wasn't. I got to try it once at the local gaming shop a few years ago now, and I miss it.

On what you said about 60fps, you can have all the 60fps PC graphics in the world, and all the Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and Skype in the world, but sometimes nothing beats real human interaction, face to face. Particularly those who are really, truly good at roleplaying and storytelling.
    edited November 2015
    You are completely on point with that, I do wish I had the time and if there was a bit more interest I would make an effort to make the time, FWIW. If you do end up going with something that I know the rules for, I will definitely be down for it. That roll20 Call of Cthulhu game was one of the best I'd ever played. I was a 40something archaeologist who was starting up an expedition to find my brother, who had dug something up and found exactly what he was looking for, then predictably suddenly disappeared. Long story short (too late I'm sure) I failed horribly on 2/3 of my first few sanity checks, despite having a pretty decent save and high-ish sanity, and ended up going, you guessed it, quite insane.

Cue me leading the expedition onward as normal, and working it out with the GM to have us all, myself first and foremost, fed to a hungry deity of sorts (nothing like the spirit of brotherhood). Jolly old cannibalism and insanity and demon worshipping, all the best parts of that game. I did my best (as did the GM) to foreshadow what had happened to my character, but the one other PC only realized what was going on just a bit too late!