Skip to content

Improving Imperian Combat

Comments

• Iniar said:
    @Garryn.

No. :( 

You cannot fill in sketches in the arena.
    I don't think you can create anything that would consume a comm in the arena. Like priests can't make incense sticks, etc.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Do priests consume incense sticks in arena?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Iniar said:

Do priests consume incense sticks in arena?

As far as I can recall, no. So basically you have to have the end 'thing' you want created outside the arena but it won't get consumed when used within the arena.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Yeah, my sketches seem to get consumed in the arena :( seems fair that I cant make them, but then what happens when my current stock dries up mid combat? >:[
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Priest cannot make incense in the arena and they are not consumed when used. Seems fair to make sketches not be consumed.
  • I would hypothesize that the sketch problem is a holdover from old school sketches, when (understandably) nobody wanted a bard with an unlimited stock of drelith sketches and other assorted goodies rained upon them.

• AlonzoAlonzo Christchurch, New Zealand
    The way classlead 264 (sowulu) was approved has resulted in Runeguard now having the lowest burst out of the knights while continuing to have the lowest combined resists (Algiz/an etching vs Putrefaction/Chilled/shield or AM armour/shield/earth/thermal/frost shields). What was essentially 12% (because sensitivity was always happening with the flare) of a foes hp has become a static 40 damage (50 raw). It is not modified at all like the other knight classes offhand ability through the int stat or the existence of a collar.

Combining the lowest reave (Templar and DK both have access to +2 strength) with the lowest offhand and the worst enhancements sees Runeguard in a pretty bad state for single combat.

I can't imagine this was the intent of a classlead asking to even things up in terms of target based CDs, and would rather see it completely reverted, and keep the horrid CD to get some of Runeguards damage back.

If the approval of tablets moving from wieldable to wearable hinged on how potent sowulu was being changed to, I think it's safe to say Runeguard needs more than just to finally be on par with other knight resists, considering they're no longer best at anything.

</rant>
  • Sowulu hits me for about ~50 damage. Septus, with an L3 collar and an L3 sash, hits me for 37 damage with Flare. Without those artifacts he's literally hitting me for 24 damage per flare. 4100 credits in artifacts that boost Flare and they let him break 30 damage. Runeguards, on the other hand, pay no penalty for low intelligence and do great damage with their flare even as Strong. Runeguard wins that one pretty handily.

So, let's look at enhancements. Knife is completely awesome with utterly ridiculous levels of potential, Flame is better than Burning, Lightning is better than Emblazing, and Snowflake is rather potent when its criteria are met. Runeguard wins this one hands down against Templar, and the only thing DK has on them is Teeth and that's going to get less important after the shred changes. Runeguard wins this as well!

However, damage isn't everything! Runeguard gets some other absolutely amazing abilities on top of that. 50% reduction on their next two sips? That's a solid ~120 healing prevented. Prevent toadstool? That's 60 healing prevented. Targetable cure blockers? A shield blocker that makes the next shield attempt cause damage? All of this stuff is amazing.

And, defensively? Runeguard gets a universal resist, an extra point of con that other knights do not get, L2 regen, and they also get uruz as extremely powerful in-room regen. Their defense is marginally less potent than that of other knights due to lower physical resists and the lack of an active heal, but they make up for it by having what is unquestionably the most potent and varied offense of any knight class.

Runeguard is a monstrously powerful class and if people are failing to get adequate performance out of it that's strictly a PEBCAK issue because the class is god-tier right now.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Need to send Septus around to play some other classes so they can get nerfed :3  
  • Yeah, I have to agree with Khizan here.

Sowulu is the best secondary damage knight attack of the three (both artefacted and not), and its reave has the highest potential for damage (knife). Not only that, but as well as having the best damage potential it gets the best (only) healing denial of the knight professions.

To touch on affs as well, rg wins here. nairat/loshre are amazing (you can stack affs quickly as knight without these, mostly case closed), shield/rebounding denial, the ability to combine tertiary afflictions with dsl (including prone), an affliction damage enhancement that scales on aff count and is off a very rare resist type(lightning).

If you want to loop sensi reave until victory, you can do. You'll be slightly better than templar and dk. If you don't just want to do that, you'll make every templar and dk look like the suckers profession choice.

Is that faithroot flare or actual flare? I've never seen either so low and I'm artifacted out the ears defensively. And then there is the the fact Templar gets to choose whether to eat their rites up for more damage. Runeguard gets to choose whether they have the same armour resists as Templar, or have any offhand damage (Not much of a choice).

Knife got made usable this classlead round. Now if you reave/reave you might get your second reave doing 6 more damage. If it triggered on the second reave? You're not gaining anything out of it.

Sowulu is it's own penalty.

But you're right, it's not all about damage. The passive afflictions from DK and the passive healing from Templar shit on Runeguard. The 7% all round resists I gain from algiz is not the same as the 14+% blunt/cutting/fire/cold/lightning/magick Templar has especially when you look at the most common damage types, which are everything Templar is resisting. Oh, and two health pools in redemption.

God tier? Not quite.

• This is not to say that one class is better or worse than the other, but looking strictly at strength damage and tankiness templar obviously has the upper hand and it would be silly to think that they didn't.

• Runeguard is the best knight. Best affliction game, best utility, best damage. So the tankiness is a little less, big deal. Seems more than apt considering the amazing offence. And besides, it's still a knight and therefore better defensively then generally any non knight class.

• To be fair, isn't tankiness always a big deal?  I mean, you can't put up much of an offense if you're dead.  I'm sure someone can/will address that, but I do think it's fair to be asking (and I'm curious of the details).    
    edited September 2015
    Druid with a L3 shield has better armour resistances than fullplate RG right now.

I was only posting about sheer reave dps, which we have the lowest of and is how Knights operate in a team fight. We do the lowest reave damage, and now our decent sowulu is gone.

Best utility? We got hands this classlead? Yay!

Having the lowest resists also means when it is Templar vs RG or DK vs RG, the dps of the others is naturally higher.

Talking about how great nairat is doesn't even play into the current meta.
  • Metrazol, clumsiness, numbness, weariness, slow balance. With added nairat flare! And all while you're standing on an uruz.

• Absolutely noone in the game uses non faithroot flare because you get 5 flares before you get no flare. However, I just tested and my flare without faithroot is on par with sowulu for the most expensive right (so one of those 5). The rest are all lower still.

Knife has a 4 second cooldown now, according to the abfile. So it is useable with a secondary reave combo, not just the one that it fires on. This is absolutely huge.

The passive afflictions from dk are an absolute nonissue. That is because you can balancelessly check for almost all the decent afflictions it gives, and if you don't have any of them you know it was nausea. A single one of these passive affs is actually remotely useful, so they have about a 1 in 5 or 6 chance of getting it to fire. Compared to the affliction augmentations of runeguard (or templar for that matter), this is basically a joke.

We have already established runeguard is the weakest defensive knight. Noone is going to contest that. However, it is not a weak defensive class; in fact, its one of the best in the game, hands down.

I'm not sure really what else to say. It is definitely the best knight. If you disagree, we'll just have to agree to disagree, I suppose!

Happens where in a team fight?

Nowhere?

Gotcha.
  • Kryss said:
    Metrazol, clumsiness, numbness, weariness, slow balance. With added nairat flare! And all while you're standing on an uruz.
    I am understanding this as saying that RG sort of falls into that "my offense is also an amazing defense because screw your offense" category >.>.  
  • Emily said:
    This is not to say that one class is better or worse than the other, but looking strictly at strength damage and tankiness templar obviously has the upper hand and it would be silly to think that they didn't.

You left some things off of your comparison chart.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• "Knife has a 4 second cooldown now, according to the abfile. So it is useable with a secondary reave combo, not just the one that it fires on. This is absolutely huge."

Yes, that is absolutely huge. Too bad it's also not true! :) 

It's not a 4 second -cooldown-, it's a 4 second window to USE. This means if it fires during the 1st part of the dsl, you get the extra 6 damage in the second swing of the dsl, and then you wait 10 seconds to do it again if they are under 50% health. If it fires on the second hit of the dsl you have a CHANCE (if your next reave is done within 4 seconds) for it to go off. The latter hasn't been achievable yet for me, so it's still often wasted.
  • Eh, the affs aren't a major factor in team pk for the most part, hinders at least.

I'm not sure what we're talking about now though, tbh. The initial post you made said that the change had made rg weak in single combat.

• @Emily: that is what I was referring to. Probably shouldn't have used the word cooldown.

The point is that when it fires, you still have the bonus resist mitigation for a reave within the next 4 seconds. Reave as athletic (the knight statpack for anyone who is serious about being optimal in both teams and duels) has a reave combo that has a balance of under 4 seconds. So this is achieveable 100% of the time; there's no variation involved other than on the side of the user.

• There does seem to have been a shift from the initial post (stating that RG was weak in single combat) yeah.  The hinders Kryss mentioned do seem like they'd be really powerful within single (or even 2 v. 1) combat.
  • edited September 2015
    Emily said:
    It's not a 4 second -cooldown-, it's a 4 second window to USE. This means if it fires during the 1st part of the dsl, you get the extra 6 damage in the second swing of the dsl, and then you wait 10 seconds to do it again if they are under 50% health. If it fires on the second hit of the dsl you have a CHANCE (if your next reave is done within 4 seconds) for it to go off. The latter hasn't been achievable yet for me, so it's still often wasted.
    Man, that is a problem. If only we had some kind of queueing system that helped people hit tight windows...

• Khizan is always so catty :3
    Jules said:
    There does seem to have been a shift from the initial post (stating that RG was weak in single combat) yeah.  The hinders Kryss mentioned do seem like they'd be really powerful within single (or even 2 v. 1) combat.
    The original post was about burst and reave. Adding in sabre/longsword/scimitar/hell, lance combat along the way wasn't at all what I, nor the classlead I mentioned were about. It's easy to side track a discussion about valid concerns by mentioning completely unrelated nonsense though.
  • "Man, that is a problem. If only we had some kind of queueing system that helped people hit tight windows..."

Let me know when that system works in team fights! I will gladly use it, but right now I have to check on my next hit for rebounding and shield, so I can't exactly queue the next dsl now, can I? I would love if you had a way to do this.
  • Also I'd just like to add that in group combat the sowulu changed INCREASED the effective damage of sowulu because now I can be hit by roughly twice as many sowulu flares. 

It does half the damage it did. Now we need two flares to hit that, where the second would have been nauthiz before.