Skip to content

Road Trip across the US!

edited August 2015 in The Real Life
So I'm doing a trip to drive across the country. Anyone in or around theses areas, that would like to meet up for lunch, or a hike, or something interesting in your area, let me know! 

25th:  Oregon, Beverly Beach campground. 

26th:  California Redwoods, 

27th-30th: Napa Valley camping around the area 

From here it gets shaky and the days could shift left or right depending on drive times and such. Big stops-

Salt Lake City for a night.
Grand Canyon for a bit.
Denver for a night or two.
Dodge City maybeee.
Hopefully stop in Missouri and head north to Illinios 
Pittsburgh, New York, Philly - these plans are still being worked out.

Plan is to be in North Carolina by the beginning of October to live, also, so anyone around Fort Bragg, WE COULD BE RL FRIENDS.

Comments

• Oh awesome, I am from Napa, but I will still be down in Gilroy when you're there.  That said, you need to go to the Rutherford Grill.  That is probably most locals' favorite restaurant.  I get the amazing French Dip made with prime rib, but you pretty much can't order anything that's not awesome.  Also, get the smoked salmon appetizer.  You will not regret any of this I promise.  
  • Ohhh, awesome @jules thanks!!!! Going to look into it! Actually if you're from Napa, do you know any local camping parks that might not be so packed? Been looking up places and it's been really hard to find anything that isn't booked fulll. Never been to Napa before!!! We're flexible about anywhere in the area, so even if it's a little out of the way. Anything you know of that is sweet, I'd appreciate it!
  • I know we always used to camp at Bothe/Grist Mill up by Calistoga back in the day (they're two parks that connect).  Not sure how crazy they are or aren't anymore... or right now.  But worth a look.  There's also Skyline park right next to Napa itself.  If you google any/all of those you can check out their websites/call to see what their availability is.  
  • @Esmyrsia

You need to take Jules' advice with a grain of salt; Jules likes all kinds of horrible awful terrible things, like horses and me. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• While I won't be able to meet, I'll be happy to give any tips about Illinois and particularly Chicago you may want
  • Oh ha, @Ailish - I lived 40 minutes south of Chicago for the last year or so. I'll be staying outside of there in Indiana for a week or two once I make it that way.
  • You're coming to live in NC @esmyrsia? I'll see you in October to wife you up.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Colorado, checking in. Though I live more towards Boulder, than Denver. I also don't know you. But hey, get high while you're here, at least.
  • We should meet up around the second to last week of October! :)
  • I'll be in North Carolina perminately then, unless I die on my 3 day hike in the Grand Canyon in a few days. Will you be down there?
  • So there were 30 mph winds all last night, which were surprisingly comfortable to sleep in. Clear sky and stars, and this view from 'bed' this morning, overlooking the southern end of the Great Salt Lake. Sleeping in the bed of a pickup truck has its advantages!
  • Western NC is beautiful.  My family lives in Asheville :) I have yet to visit the outer banks area though.  Enjoy your trip :)
    "in the shade, the gypsies spin, among the cloves, they drop their skin"
  • EllarynthEllarynth Nashville, TN
    If you're coming near Fort Meade let me know. Oh, and welcome to the complete hell that is military life as a spouse. Stay very very far away from anything that is a wives group. Or if you prefer running face first into a wall, then go for it. 
  • Indica said:
    Western NC is beautiful.  My family lives in Asheville :) I have yet to visit the outer banks area though.  Enjoy your trip :)
    I'm an hour from Asheville.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Indica said:
    Western NC is beautiful.  My family lives in Asheville :) I have yet to visit the outer banks area though.  Enjoy your trip :)
    I'm an hour from Asheville.
    I love it here.  A bit expensive but pretty nonetheless.  lots of live music, hiking trails and waterfalls as well as community.
    "in the shade, the gypsies spin, among the cloves, they drop their skin"
  • I'm in Indiana for 10 days ( @selthis hay gurl ). Then NY for a long overdue visit. Anyone around there?