Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Make artifacts tied to your registered account.  Whenever you buy an artifact each character on your account gets it.  Artifacts gained in this way would only be there as long as the character remained registered to the same account.  This would open up diversity to players in playing other circles without having people swap circles and would make the overall game more enjoyable.  Just an idea and I'm probably going to get shot down on this, but I don't like the idea of having to buy the same artifacts on my other characters when I'm already having to pay for their skills.  This would probably increase artifact sales as the benefit would be greater to the player.
  • It would also make it way too easy to do the "hur hur disposable murder alt" thing.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I don't know...I mean I don't agree with @Luthyr on this one, but I don't completely disagree either. I'd love to be able to benefit from a good percentage of Delrayne's credit value on my alt. Even if that meant I had to retire that character.

• Khizan said:
    It would also make it way too easy to do the "hur hur disposable murder alt" thing.
    So enforce the penalty to the account, not the individual character.
  • I wouldn't mind a character tradein style thing, as long as the sacrifice was significant enough(or there was enough of a delay on it) to prevent it from being a thing you see with great regularity. Faction balance is a rather delicate thing, and I don't think the ability to just ragequit to alts with regularity would be beneficial for the game.

I also don't see any benefit for the game in "Every alt I make can just use my main's artifacts, so characters become somewhat disposable."

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It's a nice thought but it's not really practical on any level.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I'd love a character tradein. :)
  • A simple age requirement would be all that's needed to prevent regular use of it. 150+ years maybe? Delrayne is 235 years old, and he was created in 2004(i think) hard to think back that far. So that would be what five RL years before being able to retire them?

• Delrayne said:
    A simple age requirement would be all that's needed to prevent regular use of it. 150+ years maybe? Delrayne is 235 years old, and he was created in 2004(i think) hard to think back that far. So that would be what five RL years before being able to retire them?
    I would love a way to officially retire characters and get -some- benefit from it. An age requirement is good though perhaps a play time requirement, if age isn't enough? (I know this is easily afk-able though.)

It may help keep the game a bit fresher for everyone.
  • edited January 2013
    Could the administration be a bit more strict on custom deathsight messages?  I know that would be an improvement.

Edit: Or give us an option of seeing just the standard ones.
  • I idea'd this already, but I figure it's worth mentioning here to get people's input. 

Make the standard LOOKing at a person show only their description, and then LOOK <person> WORN can show their worn equipment, clothing, accessories, weapons, etc. This way, if you just want to see someone's description, you can just look at them. If you just want to see their visible artifacts/equipment to make a guess at their class, you can just look at that. This will also eliminate those godawful separators between character descriptions and equipment that people are forced into making.

For the mirror artifact, it would be as simple as making PEER MIRROR <person> (or whatever the syntax is) show only the desc, and PEER MIRROR <person> WORN show only their equipment, etc.

• Nah, that's too irritating.

Just automatically start the "He is wearing" section off on a newline with a mark of some sort, so it looks like:

He is a sturdy Akrabi and he is a blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
    >>> He is wearing blah blah thing blah.

• Luthyr said:
    Could the administration be a bit more strict on custom deathsight messages?  I know that would be an improvement.

Edit: Or give us an option of seeing just the standard ones.
    They are already strict enough, turning certain people away for having 'humorous or silly' deathsights - and also enforcing showing the killer in the message. If you want a config to turn off deathsights, then I want the ability to get a full refund, because then the cosmetic gain of the Deathglory Orb is completely nullified - everybody will just config deathsight bland. The reason I invested 3 tokens is to make my deathsight look different, and you better be sure I want you to see it.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Just remembered this.  A "no titles config" walking into a room like KC or the Shuk and seeing 5 people all with titles is spammy as hell, especially if they're all pushing the character limit on prefix and suffix.
  • Uh, no. Sorry. You're going to know that I'm Celestial Flutterbee Bathan Zran, Anima of Angst

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • This idea may again be beyond the scope of this thread, but something along the lines of forming a band/group/squad/team whatever, similar to a ring where you share experience, but also allow this to support dividing gold on pick up between members who are in the room. Also possibly dividing corpses among the squad, too.
  • Cadeyrn said:
    This idea may again be beyond the scope of this thread, but something along the lines of forming a band/group/squad/team whatever, similar to a ring where you share experience, but also allow this to support dividing gold on pick up between members who are in the room. Also possibly dividing corpses among the squad, too.
    So Lusternia's group system.
  • Never played any other IRE games. So yes, maybe.
  • They have it set up pretty much exactly like you described.  There are even artifacts for grouping.

These artifacts are used for squad leaders.

Commandant's Shoulderknot: 125 credits
      - A squad led by the wearer will generate 5% extra gold when divided.

Commandant's Medal: 125 credits
      - Any squad led by the wearer will generate power at a much faster rate.

Commandant's Sash: 200 credits
      - Any squad led by the wearer will generate 5% extra xp.
  • See, that's actually kind of awesome to me. There are a lot of niceties I wish Imperian could take from other IRE MUDs.

• Oh, Lusternia has the best utility skills / artifacts of any IRE MUD I've played.
  • The downside is that Eris is crazy.
  • A bit farfetched, but would it be possible to open a small server, or just a small plane that you can go to and test things on a settable garrynbot? If still using the same server as regular Imperian, would it be possible to allow multiplaying restricted to just that server so we can work on coding for our alts while we play our mains and whatnot?
  • Just use the arena.
  • Doesn't work well when you're on and no one's around.
  • Remove Tireth.
  • Not sure if already mentioned but a command or an ability to see when the last shardfall occured would be handy.