Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Make tracking mounts unable to have people follow.  Auction artifacts should benefit the person who bought it.  Not an entire circle of the game.

Araozc, Aros, Azefel, Bathan, Cadeyrn, Kailynn, Lindsay, Lorena, Ozreas, Ranai, Sarrius, and Zsavrai
    enter from the ether following Juran, riding an ebony battle crow.
  • edited January 2013
    Please don't allow your nerdrage about combat/classlead issues to disrupt a thread that's specifically not about them.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Iziae said:

Similar to other threads in the past, I'm looking for improvements to the player's general day-to-day life. This thread is not the means to propose skill revamps or classlead categorized changes, but simple ideas that will make Imperian more fun.

Just for reminder.
  • Juran said:
    Iziae said:

Similar to other threads in the past, I'm looking for improvements to the player's general day-to-day life. This thread is not the means to propose skill revamps or classlead categorized changes, but simple ideas that will make Imperian more fun.

Just for reminder.
    Personally, I think this would improve day to day life regarding shardfalls and city raids.
  • Khizan said:

Expecting you to read the first post of the thread and avoid dragging classlead issues into this thread was a bit too much to expect, yes.

That's why I wasn't surprised when you didn't do it.

Must be nice to be able to quote every post from 2 months back.  Guess I am lacking.
  • I'd like the aggro wolves outside of Ithaqua to just not be aggro anymore. I get it, it's cool, but it's kind of annoying if lowbies are dying to it and people aren't around to handle it. Time to just pacify those guys.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Bathan said:
    I'd like the aggro wolves outside of Ithaqua to just not be aggro anymore. I get it, it's cool, but it's kind of annoying if lowbies are dying to it and people aren't around to handle it. Time to just pacify those guys.
    Ithaqua could orgrequest having somebody come in to hunt them all down.. a tracker or a fur trader or something.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • @Sarrius do you know how outraged some Ithaquan's rp would be if some random dude just came in and started whacking away at all the wolves. All predators for one would likely be on a massive ccut train for this guy.

• Delrayne said:

@Sarrius do you know how outraged some Ithaquan's rp would be if some random dude just came in and started whacking away at all the wolves. All predators for one would likely be on a massive ccut train for this guy.

RP takes a back seat to QOL. I was under the impression the wolves still eat novices.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • If you just kill the ones at the entrance, it'd be fine I suppose, but it sounded like you wanted to kill all the wolves in the forest.

• The wolves won't hit you if you're a novice. It's when you're level 30 or so and running around and get one-shotted that it's exceptionally not fun. Especially when the wolves camp the Ithaqua boat drop off. I would just make them passive - a mob in Ithaqua buys their corpses.
  • There was an event awhile back (two years probably) when the wolves -raided- Ithaqua because wardens/idras were using them for cloaks/sitaras. Ithaqua declared that they would only attack the wolves if the wolves attacked them.

But, I can understand that it can get tiring for people to die due to a mob in the area that's hostile to them. So, alternative solution to 'dude that buys their corpses' is Wendigo forces them out of the forest, or Ithaquans destroy their den. They get moved to the Bardosi and/or Gyanis (because it needs more hostile mobs :P).
  • I'm fine with anything that keeps them off the main road where newbies and caravans go. It's hard enough getting new blood into Ithaqua, the wolves straight up don't help, regardless of RP significance.

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • A skill in Survival that mirrors the Acquisitio skill in Rituals, from Lusternia.

For those unaware, Acquisitio is a skill that makes you compulsively pick things up that you kill, and anything that drops from what you kill. It is a defense you toggle on and off. If nobody else was present with the skill turned on, you also picked up ANY slain creature and gold from it.

What this would do is allow people to stay hidden while bashing, not have to write any scripts to pick up gold/bodies, and really just increase the ease of group bashing in some fashion. I can understand if it is beyond the scope of this thread, however, and is really just something you can script for.. however, some of us have to bash with idiots who won't turn off their autograb scripts.
  • Nobody has to bash with anybody.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    Nobody has to bash with anybody.
    Yup, exactly. This skill seems super unnecessary.
  • Might be outside the scope of this thread but having gold drop on death is extremely annoying. I know you can take precautions and everyone does, but there will be a time where you just miss or forget to put your gold back in, or anything and you'll go rush in a shardfall, die and notice that you've lost that good amount just because you stopped to buy inks. 

Punish us for having gold out and dying but don't punish us that much that we lose everything we had. Maybe 10% of what you had out, or based on your level or something. 
  • I'm actually fine with the auto pick up skill. It saves us from even more tedious coding which has been the general concensus of everyone on these forums since the announcement of gbot. It's no different than multiple animals summoned or rites laid/picked up. The only difference this time is it isn't profession based.

• Ziat said:
    Might be outside the scope of this thread but having gold drop on death is extremely annoying. I know you can take precautions and everyone does, but there will be a time where you just miss or forget to put your gold back in, or anything and you'll go rush in a shardfall, die and notice that you've lost that good amount just because you stopped to buy inks. 

Punish us for having gold out and dying but don't punish us that much that we lose everything we had. Maybe 10% of what you had out, or based on your level or something. 
    Going to file that under 'quit being bad'.

• No problem with auto-pickup of corpses. Though, I don't like the idea of gold not dropping, but I also prefer if novices get eaten by wolves, and for bandits to scale per level. :P
  • Find a new 'turning of the day' message? The whole Horde thing is a little awkward considering that every single month for the past 18 in-game years that I've been playing Caelya, her heart has pounded expecting drums at that particular moment. I know it's nit-picky, but I have to really suspend my disbelief whenever I see that message. 

That's probably just me though.

• Lots a good ideas here. We will be hitting some of these for sure!

• Delrayne said:
    How about a way to search through the posts of a given newsboard....something along the the lines of searchnews annouce <phrase>.
    Every year for about three years I think, I've IDEA'd this. It would be great if I didn't have to search through 2000 Announce postings to find the one that talked about the last Renegade classlead. Or the 5000 Kinsarmar postings to find the post where so-and-so won an election. I mentioned making it like your local library computer search. Keyword/Author/Date or Date Span options. That way I could type in Lemuela under Author and would give me all the postings Lemuela made. Would really help out with finding specific events.
    With a steady hand, Aosoth batters you with an orb sigil.
    You say, "Ow."
    You say to Aosoth, "Bitch."
    Aosoth blinks.
    You exclaim, "That hurt!"
    Lord Aosoth, of the Thirst says to Caelya, "I bring out the best in people."
  • The abilities that allow you to summon all of passive effects at once ( I can only think of the rites and vibes at the moment), could we make them customizable? I'm not sure how doable that would be.
  • The ASP ability for weapons has been largely touted as a worthless investment for it's randomness. Perhaps make it to where you can apply any toxin to your weapon with asp without the need for the vial in your inventory and take away the 1/3rd chance of no aff message being delivered.

• Predator syntax currently has several annoyances.

1. If you specify a toxin using COMBO, it is only used if the first attack takes a toxin, and then only if that attack can be performed (e.g., it won't envenom if you're in the wrong stance). It'd be nice if it'd envenom if any of the attacks could potentially deliver a toxin.

2. Since sitaras can only take one layer of toxins, it'd be nice if envenoming them would implicitly wipe them. This also applies to using the combo syntax.

3. There are a few attacks that are 'comboable' (they take up a single balance slot) but which can't be used with COMBO syntax, including pindown, pheromones and butterfly. (Wolfcharge is not included here because it would complicate the syntax.)

4. An UNCOVER ALL command would be nice.

All of these changes would save me a decent amount of client-side code, and wouldn't really affect my capabilities. The combo syntax changes would make me slightly faster because I could queue attacks better, but only slightly because I can already just chase balance.

Officially a villain since 7 AM.
  • I'm not sure if this has been changed yet, but the last I checked, you have to be in the 'first' room of a house in order to pay taxes due on it. In any other room if you try to do this, even if you have a mountainload of taxes due, it will tell you that there are no taxes that need to be paid. So! Maybe make it possible to pay taxes from any room in the house, if you aren't for some reason one of those people that keeps a hoard stashed in the bank and uses autopay I guess?

• The ability to combine the functionality of the command separator with queueing. This would make life a whole lot easier, especially using the separator for combat as a class with multiple attacks.
  • Lalitana said:
    Elections that end in ties shouldn't roll over and erase the original election - let us see the votes (particularly if more than two people were running) and roll the tied folks into a new election. And I agree that elections are a bit too long - the voting period alone is 4 days and 4 hours; 72 hours would be plenty.
    You could solve, or at least hugely reduce, this problem by changing elections from FPTP to something like AV or STV. Also helps stop situations where people split the vote and someone the majority don't actually want get in.
  • edited January 2013

Here's one:

Can config options for showbalance, affmessages, and healthinfo be defaulted to on? I've had cases where newer players didn't realize that overheavy shields and the like were slowing them down, because they couldn't eyeball that 0.5 to 1.0 second difference in speeds.

Similarly, when an overheavy shield slows you down on an attack, could there be a message for it? "You are overburdened by a heavy shield" or the like. It would be helpful for newbies who don't know that the shield is doing that, and more experienced players who change shield tiers due to the presence of one buff or another. Athletic gets banded normally, but kites with runes. Etc etc.