Skip to content

Split Discussion - New Racial Abilities

This discussion was created from comments split from: Improving Imperian.
Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote

Comments

• All the new races are cool and all, but I would like to toss out some ideas for making the original races more appealing since some of the racial abilities are kind of useless or just not really applicable anymore.

Changes I have come up with off the top of my head are:

Tanari, Norrjin, and Maumrite

Replace "Sleep Regeneration" with "Experienced Raider" - Same as Caravan Crop, but does not stack and is gained at level 80.

Sylayan

Replace "Landstriding" with "Stalking" - Same as shroud / sangfel ability.

Sidhe

Replace "Eavesdrop" with "Vermin Hunter" - Same as Piccolo of the Pests, but does not stack.

Change "Alertness" to be used without a mana drain.

Akrabi

Replace "Sight" with "Burrow" - Same as wolverine claws.

Change "Sting" to work on its own balance and to require balance/equilibrium, but not to use either.   Have a built-in cooldown so as not to be retarded.  Maybe 10-15 seconds?

Kohdon

Replace "Basking" with "Big Meanie" - Intimidate skill.

Ssylsin

Replace "Basking" with "Hide" - Same as "AB SABOTAGE HIDE".

Dwarf

Replace "Smithing Bonus" to "Master Craftsman" - Reduces the number of materials needed for crafting Smithing and Engineering items.

Lycaean, Lamira, and Xiur look like they are honestly in a good spot.

If anyone else has some ideas, please speak up.  I love a lot of the original races and I think it would be nice to encourage more variety.
  • Balanceless formaldehyde is an awful idea.
  • edited May 2015
    Cobra, dart trap? @Cassius  Also, there is something similar in Lusternia.

Honestly, I was just trying to think of a way of making racial abilities useful.
  • It would be bad because having an extra affliction operating on its own balance gives a major boost to anyone using an affliction based style of play.

slash/slash/sting
    dstab/shadowplant/sting
    claw/basilisk/sting

You get the idea.

• edited May 2015
    So make it unmasked if used in a combo.

Again, if anyone has any ideas on how to revamp these, please share.
  • Unmasked or masked doesn't matter, an extra aff is an extra aff. There is just no way it would be balanced.

• So ignore that one.  Anything constructive for STING or should it be just gotten rid of?
  • edited May 2015
    Maybe consider some PvE implementations. If there's a bastion of unused mechanical possibilities, it's in there.

Related: Don't frickin remove the main vendor of the race stone things this time. I'm already meh about 100 other things, and coming back to seeing that I wasted extra e-Points because of fading sales with vague return times and tangible gameplay effects was ugh.

E - By "return time" I mean the removal of the vendor only for the inevitably SoonTM return.
  • Luthyr said:

Cobra, dart trap? @Cassius  Also, there is something similar in Lusternia.

Honestly, I was just trying to think of a way of making racial abilities useful.
    Profession skills with professions designed for them. Adding more free affs to high affliction classes, Diab/Hunter/wytch/assassin/knight/etc sounds awful.
  • You all aren't familiar with "constructive criticism" are you?  Nevermind, this was a futile effort apparently.
  • We do not have plans to replace existing racial skills with copies of artifacts. For the most part, the abilities you suggest are too powerful - racial abilities are intended to be minor benefits, not major ones. Some of the newer races have more powerful abilities; we expanded the scope somewhat because the races are limited availability.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • edited May 2015
    Kabaal said:
    Related: Don't frickin remove the main vendor of the race stone things this time. I'm already meh about 100 other things, and coming back to seeing that I wasted extra e-Points because of fading sales with vague return times and tangible gameplay effects was ugh.

E - By "return time" I mean the removal of the vendor only for the inevitably SoonTM return.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the general sale of these stones is a limited time offering. After that, they must be purchased from other players (notably via the PROMO MARKET). We will probably release racial stones again in the future, but it will be, once again, quite some time before we do so.
  • I think perhaps the most glaring one would be a consideration for replacing the sleep regeneration in tanari. We took out sleeping a long time ago as a kind of mechanic. Yeah, you can still do it, but I personally think it's kind of pointless and uninteresting.

Maybe increased movement in urban environments, to play off their scavenge ability, or a reappearance of their small xp bonus?
  • Eoghan said:
    Kabaal said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the general sale of these stones is a limited time offering. After that, they must be purchased from other players (notably via the PROMO MARKET). We will probably release racial stones again in the future, but it will be, once again, quite some time before we do so.
    What I meant was that the plan you just outlined is aggravating and silly. Hope that clarifies!
  • A skill called "Big Meanie"? 

Lol.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."