Skip to content

Achievements

I have to do some work on the Achievement system/code as part of another project so I figured now was a time to update and clean things up. Please post your suggestions for anything regarding the Achievement systems.

Comments

• Jeremy said:
    I have to do some work on the Achievement system/code as part of another project so I figured now was a time to update and clean things up. Please post your suggestions for anything regarding the Achievement systems.

Bigger goals would be nice, another set of high level achievements beyond the current levels. 50,000 demons, 5,000 player kills - things reasonable people will never get.

Mostly I just want a masser murder achievement with even bigger blood splatters.

• Ooh, or a world echo different than general deathsight.
  • A count for the amount of shards you've harvested

• What is the general feel of reducing the rewards slightly?

• Maybe some sort of use for those 10k demon, orc, and undead kill rewards other than a space in the inventory
  • The achievement bonuses like EXP%+ really facilitate a quick zip to Aspect.. which I am honestly fine with, because bashing to Aspect is an incredibly boring task, and making bashing interesting is genuinely impossible. So long as Aspect gives you the general health, mana, and etc levels found in current PK, Aspect is sort of something you want for combat here. Anything that makes it faster is better.

The rewards outside of those are honestly worthless anyways (namely, the statues and dolls and figures are just things that clog up inventory space, their novelty wearing off swiftly).. the only cool ones are the big bursts of lessons and the 'bloody mess' from player killing. Also, is it here or MKO that gives you a bunch of lessons for 'Transcending' fishing?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • I'd like restrictions on farming achievements. Things like "You aren't allowed to kill/res somebody for an hour on end to farm up resurrections" and similar. 

I'd also like to see some more fun rewards. Killing 10000 demons gave me a statuette. Titles and mounts are out, due to the way Imperian works but maybe it could give me an untradeable imp familiar, instead. Something like that. Maybe not an imp, since that's a bit demonic for 2 of 3 circles, but something similar.

And I ALSO dislike the way that current achievements can 'punish' you for doing things. Oh, you killed one too many demons before a long day work? Hope you didn't want to use that experience bonus!

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It would be nice if instead of the instant exp/exp bonus we got 'points' that you could then use to buy the exp bonus rewards or other rewards(lessons/minor artifacts) for that matter, as it is convenient.

Also sort of related. With all of the first time instant experience achievements, having the newbie area level increased to 30 or 35 would be nice. Especially for those that are truly new here. Or save the experience up and give it to them as a burst at 21.
  • At the end of the day, achievements should be mostly meaningless apart from bragging rights and something to do in the game when you're bored of your current set of goals.
  • Achievements are a great way to have us do something and I really like this system. The rewards could use some tweaking

We could have a trade in value for these dolls. It would be great if we can even trade them for 30 credits because I'd trade in my instantly. The only achievement that really motivated me was the 100,000 mob kills, because it gives you a Bloodstone ring. 

What are you exactly trying to do with achievements? Do you want more people to get involved or are you deciding whether to keep it in or eliminate it? If the former, I'd say go over the rewards and see if you can make them motivating to do. Don't make the rewards excess but something that still motivates us, like 30 credits for killing 10k demons. 

• I agree about the credits/lessons. The only achievements I actively seek out are experience bonuses and chunks of lessons. So more of those might make achievements interesting.
  • I don't agree with credit rewards, even if they are bound. They had a problem when the achievement system was released on the 'mentor 5 proteges to lvl 50' and you would get like.. 200 credits or something? I forget the total, but it was pretty excessive, and it got farmed by alts.

Lesson rewards are fine, and I do think they should give you more lessons on more achievements (plus XP bonuses, which are great). 

In order to solve the 'you just got that XP bonus, but it's 3 in the morning and you need to rest before work', I'd say just having the bonuses be put on hold and would allow you to use them when you wanted (similar to soulstones or the clover item), this would allow people to basically store them up until that aspect run (which could be a good or bad thing, iunno.) A point system just for basic rewards would be cool too, because you could trade them in for what you wanted instead of just what the system gives.

Could also be a way to work in some sort of free mini-artifacts from those points (similar to the icecloak thing where you would kill 1000 yetis and get the goggles of whitesight).

Also, please fix the achievements for shrine raising/killing, or release something similar. Looks silly.
  • Comparing the Protege achievement and the doll achievement is WAY different.

You could easily game the Protege one, because all you had to do was contact your friend, ask him to make 25 alts, get them to level 50 by making them repeatedly kill yourself and get 250 credits. Its not the same with something like, killing 10,000 demons. You actually have to do work for that. I don't see how that can be gamed without putting in effort
  • You still shouldn't get credits for achievements.
  • Ziat said:
    What are you exactly trying to do with achievements? Do you want more people to get involved or are you deciding whether to keep it in or eliminate it? If the former, I'd say go over the rewards and see if you can make them motivating to do. Don't make the rewards excess but something that still motivates us, like 30 credits for killing 10k demons. 

We are going to be testing a new intro that used tasks/achievements a lot more. Going to take a pass at the whole system in the meantime.

• The way I see achievements right now is pretty decent. Some of them are far out there and like Juran said, they won't be attainable by the normal person (1,000 PK kills, Lvl 100 Quest/PK, 1000 FFA wins, ect ect) but they are DOABLE. That's the big thing.

Having the positive reinforcement of seeing OTHERS do the achievements is really what contributes to me even pushing for mine anymore. All of mine are at this point, grind grind grind types. I wouldn't suggest upping the Undead kills to 50,000 and with that, not the brothers (Orc and Demons) purely due to the fact of the minimal amount of corpses you can obtain per hour/day.

However, if I was to think of some new cool achievements that would be 'nifty' for most people (and doable) I would say these!

Gathering Achievements
    1. Harvest 100 Blue Shards
    2. Harvest 1,000 Blue Shards
    3. Harvest 100 Red Shards

Organisations
    1. Serve as a Governor of a Towne

That's all I can really think off off the top of my head at this moment, but I know you have a crock pot of ideas waiting in there. My question for you @Jeremy is whatever happened to the little prize for hitting 1,000 points? Just curious!
  • Would be neat to have some type of achievement for length of time in leadership/ministry positions. Maybe a bit far out there to achieve but first thought that came to my mind
  • Okay, I am going to start working on these over the next few days. So if there are any more thoughts, let me know.

• edited December 2012

Just something I thought about, what about knowing how much gold you get from the fish you sell, kind of like the gambled gold won?

• Frankly, the idea of exp bonuses for achievements annoys the living hell out of me.  Aspect is supposed to be meaningful and a decent sized handful of us got there without them.

It's pretty much up there with working alongside someone who bought their Union Card, meanwhile I went through years of apprenticeship.  I don't have as much respect for them, and they gamed the system to get it.

Speaking of gaming the system, intentionally whoring out aspects of the game as was mentioned earlier ranks up there as the 2nd most annoying thing on the list.  I got tired of people doing it, whether it was killing, rezzing, dueling, or any of that other random stuff, it's not an achievement if you have to premeditadedly set the whole thing up.  It doesn't happen often, but the usual suspects are typically the usual offenders. 

• Made a newbie to see how much I could game the system.

Without an extraordinary amount of effort, I managed almost 800%, lasting for about 24 hours. Pretty sure even doing this solo, I can get this character to some level 90+, if not aspect, with that much bonus.
  • Not sure why you had to test that, everyone knows it's exceedingly easy to bash up with the achievement bonuses. I'm a prime example of it anyway, I bashed from 90-something to 102 in a day. Granted, I also had the artie drop monthly bonus as well backing me up.
  • And it's not a huge issue. Again. Getting to 100 is at this point kind of mandatory along with a laundry list of far harder things. There's no reason PvE purists need to swoop in and try and get it changed.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”