Skip to content

Upcoming Smithing/Weapon/Knight Changes

Comments

• PellerinPellerin Eastern USA
    Going back a bit the crystehl whetstone was mentioned but in passing. Will the crystehl whetstone still work, if so how?  I agree it is a bit trivial but less so to those who own them.
  • LaethusLaethus Wichita, KS
    Or less so to those who have considered buying them multiple times.
  • Will shields have any sort of wielding penalty associated with them?

Still very interested in what will happen to armor and shields for stats and wondering if their enhancements will be tweaked.
  • Since it's been brought up, any chance for an item that functions like a whetstone, but applies to blunt weapons?
    Today we shall die.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited December 2014
    @Pellerin, your avatar highly suggests that you are suppressing a deep urge to become a badass deathknight:

wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • PellerinPellerin Eastern USA
    @iniar No, but would love to see Warhammers be viable, now that you mention it!
  • I would prefer knights remain bladed weapons, rather than give up toxins for double limb damage.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Warhammer = badass = instant-respeck.
  • Now that every forged weapon will be exactly the same, what are the odds that weapons will be added to the list of items that can be made into artifacts? Maybe I want to customize my sword to be made of crystallized orphan tears but don't really care about +% damage.
    Ozreas said:
    Now that every forged weapon will be exactly the same, what are the odds that weapons will be added to the list of items that can be made into artifacts? Maybe I want to customize my sword to be made of crystallized orphan tears but don't really care about +% damage.
    That's what metalworking is for.  Much less credits than making something an artifact, then customizing it.
  • I'm aware of what metalworking is for, having learned and used the skill extensively. Artifacts, however, have a much more lenient approval process. An artifact sword can glow or be made of fire, a metalworking design cannot. Silly goose.
    Ah, I didn't think about something like that. 
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Ozreas said:

Now that every forged weapon will be exactly the same, what are the odds that weapons will be added to the list of items that can be made into artifacts? Maybe I want to customize my sword to be made of crystallized orphan tears but don't really care about +% damage.

Probably not, there are perks in having purchased a tiered artifact weapon, and having my actively bleeding L2 dirk cloaked in magical illusions made permanent is nice. We cant be having every Tom, Dick and Harry running around wielding tongues of fire! Alternatively, since one weapon is the same as the next, just re-customize a new one every two months with a customize token. No one will ever know!
    Any news on this at all?  Curiosity is killing me.
  • @Garryn is finishing up the classlead changes that will be made pre-beta, then finishing up these changes, then we'll be opening a beta. Should be soon.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • With Achaea having just gone through a Knight revamp I'm wondering now if Imperian is going to be stealing their stuff. :P
  • IniarIniar Australia
    You sent the following message to Garryn:
    Beta soon? :)
    :D
  • edited January 2015
    You sent the following message to Iniar:
    All in due time.
  • Ahh, the old Blizzard Soon™.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I'm also partial to Square Enix's Please Look Forward To It!
  • The Duke Nukem Forever "It will be released when it's finished."
    Today we shall die.
    edited January 2015
    Any thoughts on what the Hammer of Forging will do yet?  I thought of a couple of things, like double the decay time, half the ingot cost... something like that.  Also, will crystehl have any use at all anymore?  Or the hammer could give you full ingot return when you add the weapon to the forge!  Oh wait, that won't be needed since you won't be making 400 weapons to get that 1 you're looking for.
  • If I read the post in Achaea(just finished going through a very similar smithing revamp) right, I'm going to guess they'll refund a portion of it for people who have had it more than x amount of time and refund the whole price to anyone who bought it recently. Could be wrong though.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Someone tell me what Achaea has done? I'm afraid to go there. :(
  • They just released a similar tertiary skill for knights involving specializing in dual cutting, dual blunt, 2H weapons, or sword and board.

If I recall correctly, they ended up just scramming the hammer altogether and refunding it to all owners, since they couldn't come up with a use for it that justified the price tag (their smithing revamp also removed variation in weapon stats, as ours plans to).

Dicene said:
    If I read the post in Achaea(just finished going through a very similar smithing revamp) right, I'm going to guess they'll refund a portion of it for people who have had it more than x amount of time and refund the whole price to anyone who bought it recently. Could be wrong though.
    The only problem I have with this is that I would not even be trading it back in if it weren't for the changes.  I would be keeping it.  Not enough to make me want to leave, but upsetting if it is true.
  • If we end up discontinuing the hammer, we'll do full refunds for everyone, same as we did with previously removed artifacts.
    Ah, okay.  that's good news then.  Thank you for clearing that up, @garryn
  • edited January 2015
    I long to engage in glorious dual-wielding scimitar combat. The suspense is killing me...
  • How likely is the balance penalty going to be applied to Assassin/Renegade? I'm debating a truesilver shield, but I'm not going to bother if switching from whip to dirk kills me.