Skip to content

Dis

There's been a few complaints in another thread about the woes of Dis, and I don't think it's begun to cover all of them. Admittedly, it was put out of my mind while Magick was enjoying the benefits of Aryana. I appreciate all the RP and storyline stuff that probably went on relating to Dis, so I don't think it needs to be removed entirely in favour of a one-room death waiting area where you just FOCUS out or whatever. It just needs to be less bad. So let's start small and work our way up.

When the ferry is about to leave, Charon needs to yell, FERRY LEAVING IN <number> MINUTES! It's truly freaking annoying when you're standing waiting for your team, assuming one person hasn't boarded the ferry, and then it turns out... they have.

Comments

• I don't mind the concept of Dis. The biggest problem is the boat.Back in the day where kids were white knighting the rock-paper-scissors diagram and all buying one dude's system, it wasn't a big deal. The only time anyone noticed it was crap was during CTFs. As the game has gotten bigger and pk has become more inclusive, team engagements have become the standard fare. Nowadays, the boat is an unnecessary bottleneck that is actually a very lame objective to control in team combat (See: Galt, Hammer, Events).

I'm down with keeping Dis as it is, but give the coins to Charon for a 1 man teleport to your city and only your city. Non-citizens go to Caanae. You could justify it with "the boss is on hiatus and Charon is branching out." 
  • To me, a huge bottleneck is the problem of getting coins. You've got a few quests that get you the coins rapidly, and when those are broken it's SO much slower, and your team is only as fast as the slowest person through Dis.

Quests need to be clearer, faster, and harder to break.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• You guys do know you can just talk to the corrupt priest and he'll let you out of Dis at the cost of some xp right? I'm not sure what the percentage is though, but I remember doing it in a pinch before Obelisks were released.

Some of the quests do need cleaned up. Notably there is a quest to the north of the city where you have to gather wood for a mob, but he only needs three - but there are four pieces scattered around. A solution here is just add more wood pieces (let's say nine), and that would allow more people to make use of it.

Fix the feather quest. If you die during a team combat, he never judges you favorably so it makes it a waste to even bother with it. Eoggor's Mask needs to appear more often. The soul and mirror quest can probably be deleted because no one ever does it. The statue could use more riddles so I can add more triggers to reply with.

But outside of fixing a few quests, or adding some more, immediately I'd vote for Ahkan's solution - more rafts.
  • I know quite a few people who do the soul/mirror quest. And it becomes particularly necessary when other quests are already taken.
  • I do the soul-mirror quest frequently. It's one of the faster ways to get a coin.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• If you do nothing else with Dis in the near future, NIX that idiot pick-pocket. Because there are times where I'm not going to use Nyrroth to get out and I'm going to try to trudge through the current system of coin quests, and I can manage when there's not twelve people down there with me, but every time that stupid pick-pocket shows up, it's just such an 'argh' moment. It's not really entertaining, or funny, or exciting, it's mostly just dumb. Kill him, or give him a cool new feature where, when he steals your hard-earned token, he replaces it with a credit. Then I'll stop moaning.