Skip to content

Netflix Recommendations

edited July 2014 in The Real Life
I've been playing a lot of FFXIV, and considering bashing in Imperian. This has required me to find a Netflix account to mooch. I thought I'd make a generic thread for people to recommend quality stuff to watch on Netflix, as a service to others who also find grinding mobs to be boring. 

Getting us started:

The Returned

Movie about life 20 years after a zombie apocalypse wherein a cure has been found but is in short supply. Solid, if you're not expecting a lot of gore. More of a social commentary movie.

(ADD YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS PLS)
‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure

• Aleutia said:
    Red Vs Blue is totally on Netflix, how could you not? Halo shenanigans!

• edited July 2014
    I watched the history channels version of Bonnie and Clyde the other day. The story was bent quite a bit to make it more entertaining, but it worked. Plus did i mention it was a stacked cast? I recommend it for a watch if you have 4 hours to waste.

• I really want to try Luther, as Selthis has talked it up a fair bit. 

If you haven't seen it yet, the newest 007 film Skyfall is on Netflix, and it's amazing. 

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I just think it has some pretty quality acting.  I absolutely love Idris Elba though, so it might be clouding my judgement.

Not Netlix but if you have Amazon prime, all the older hbo shows are available for prime subscribers for streaming.  I'm working through the Wire as we speak and it is amazing (Idris Elba once again, but even without him its been really good so far).  

A handy site to know: Instantwatcher.com. I check it  out once a week to see all the newest stuff on netflix in one spot.  It often lists them there before netflix lists it anywhere.

Netflix stuff: 

People have already mentioned them: 

House of Cards
    Orange is the New Black

Shows that I have watched and enjoyed:
    Longmire
    Copper
    Arrow
    The Fall (Gillian Anderson!)
    Luther
    Leverage (somewhat formulaic but I can't help but love it)

Things on my list to watch: 
    Breaking Bad
    Downtown Abbey
    The West Wing
    Basically there's too much netflix to watch in a lifetime.

Things I'd suggest avoid from personal experience: 
    Hemlock Grove Not all netflix original shows are good. Terrible vamp/werewolf story ala Twilight or something I dunno,  its just terrible.

• Iirc Vikings and The Bible, both History channel versions are on Netflix, Stargates, Star Treks, I've watched Battlestar Gallactica twice, the new version.  Fairly good shows.  I've diverted my attention to Amazon Prime now though, since they got all the HBO stuff (minus the bigger new things like Game of Thrones).  

• Haha. Hemlock Grove is terrible. I don't know what Netflix was thinking.

Netflix allowed me to binge watch The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, and House of Cards. You will also get Sherlock, Dexter, and Mad Men. All great television in its own way. I just can't get into Orange is the New Black.  

I have HBO, so I don't watch much Prime with the exception of Orphan Black. But if you have not been part of the HBO universe, you want to watch the Wire (best HBO show ever), Sopranos, Deadwood, and Rome.

Currently two episodes into The Leftovers on HBO, and trying to decide wtf I got myself into....
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • GabrielGabriel Fort Valley, Georgia US
    edited July 2014
    Haven't seen these mentioned:

Hell on Wheels - Series

Old Boy (original and remake) and Lawless - Movies
  • VerexaVerexa Canada
    edited July 2014
    So I watch a lot of TV, and these are some of my current favourites:

Orange is the New Black
    House of Cards
    Sherlock
    Orphan Black
    American Horror Story
    True Blood
    Scandal
    Revenge (soap opera-y but you get hooked)
    The Walking Dead
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I mean, it's Joss Whedon!!)
    Downton Abbey
    Game of Thrones
    Dexter
    Suits

Those are all shows I've been watching recently, minus a few guilty pleasures. I used to watch Bates Hotel which was alright. I've also heard good things about Dominion, True Detective and Penny Dreadful.

Note: The majority are on Netflix but I can't guarantee they all are.
  • I also recommend Orange is the New Black, although I almost passed when I saw Jason Biggs first appear on screen. All I see when I look at that guy is him violating an apple pie. I thought they could have better cast Piper as well but still it's a good show. Game of Thrones is pretty much the best show ever but I have been purchasing episodes off the ps4 store at 2.99 a pop.
  • With oitnb I basically hate the the main characters and watch for the excellent supporting cast.
  • VerexaVerexa Canada
    I found this on Reddit and thought it would be helpful to this discussion. It's for movies but still a good source.
  • EdricEdric El Salvador
    They've been mentioned here, but I figured I'd give these shows a +1: Suits, Scandal, American Horror Story. I've liked what I've seen of those three so far.
  • edited July 2014
    The Mind of a Chef, Brew Masters, Jiro: Dreams of Sushi, Sushi: The Global Catch, Ramsay's Best Restaurants, Somm,  are a few that I really enjoy, for those who like food.

Also, The Great Happiness Space is a strange, great documentary about Japanese hosts.

Attack on Titan, too, which is like the only Anime that I actually watch/like.
  • CelestineCelestine Wisconsin
    edited July 2014
    Eldreth said:
    Haha. Hemlock Grove is terrible. I don't know what Netflix was thinking.

Netflix allowed me to binge watch The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, and House of Cards. You will also get Sherlock, Dexter, and Mad Men. All great television in its own way. I just can't get into Orange is the New Black.  

...But if you have not been part of the HBO universe, you want to watch the Wire (best HBO show ever), Sopranos, Deadwood, and Rome.
    @Eldreth...with the exception of your opinion on OITNB, we are Netflix/TV soul mates.

Also, to add - American Horror Story, Once Upon A Time, Weeds, Revenge, Scandal, Modern Family and I'm about to start The Killing (as soon as I'm done with SOA for the 12th time).
  • Ugh, SoA just started trending further and further to terrible. I think I stopped midway through the  5th  season and just couldn't tough it out anymore.  Which is a shame because the early seasons were so good. :(

Basically, Kurt Sutter shouldn't be a shworunner. He's also a pretty terrible person outside of his mediocre writing talents.
  • I know I am in the minority on OITNB, but if I can watch a prison show and I can choose between that and Oz...well...

I did forget about American Horror Story though. Owed Netflix for that one.

I listened to the Kurt Sutter on Howard Stern. Didn't sound like such a bad guy. Plus he is married to Peg Bundy!
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • Not sure if it has been suggested, or if it is on Netflix (I'm a Amazon Prime kinda gal), but I highly suggest you watch Lie to Me. Tim Roth is amazing. I was hooked within the first 10 minutes of the pilot.
  • Svorai said:
    Not sure if it has been suggested, or if it is on Netflix (I'm a Amazon Prime kinda gal), but I highly suggest you watch Lie to Me. Tim Roth is amazing. I was hooked within the first 10 minutes of the pilot.
    It is on Netflix! I added it to my queue. Will watch is after SOA!
  • Celestine said:
    Svorai said:
    Not sure if it has been suggested, or if it is on Netflix (I'm a Amazon Prime kinda gal), but I highly suggest you watch Lie to Me. Tim Roth is amazing. I was hooked within the first 10 minutes of the pilot.
    It is on Netflix! I added it to my queue. Will watch is after SOA!
    I do not know how far you are into the series of SoA, but I stopped watching around 5 when my favorite character left the show :(
  • Svorai said:
    I do not know how far you are into the series of SoA, but I stopped watching around 5 when my favorite character left the show :(

Selthis said:
    Ugh, SoA just started trending further and further to terrible. I think I stopped midway through the  5th  season and just couldn't tough it out anymore.  Which is a shame because the early seasons were so good. :(

Basically, Kurt Sutter shouldn't be a shworunner. He's also a pretty terrible person outside of his mediocre writing talents.
    Related issues.  But  both have the same root problem.
  • Amazon prime is amazing since they dropped a lot of the HBO shows on there. Deadwood, Sopranos...yessir.
  • I randomly discovered Law and Order SVU while stranded in rural Maine. It's kind of amazing, but apparently I'm like a decade late on this one. Stebler confirmed for best macho cop character ever.

• Band of Brothers was an amazing mini series.  Currently watching The Pacific, probably followed by Boardwalk Empire.  Oh and Generation Kill is pretty good if you like military stuff.

• generation kill was awesome in my book. Definitely not up there with band of brothers, but still good enough for when I found out it was just a mini-series I was disappointed it wasn't coming back...

• I'm apparently the only person who has recently fallen for The Blacklist. So, that's my recommendation. Season one is now on Netflix.
  • I'm watching the second, current season on Hulu. I hate to echo a lot of viewers though - the only thing worth watching on the show is James Spader. It's otherwise sort of boring and growing stale for me. Season Four of the Walking Dead is on Netflix recently, too. I've just got one episode to go on that. 

• Walking dead starts back this weekend. Better get that episode in!

• Peaky Blinders. Everyone should watch it.