Skip to content

#What

Comments

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I dreamt I was driving a delivery truck over 100+ Indian kids and managed to take off the legs of the kid's father I was delivering to. I vividly remember the sounds of him bleeding going gloop gloop.

I almost feel like this correlates with me going demonic.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    A great article about abandoned digital worlds, thanks @Arakis:

I haven’t been here in years, but it’s as familiar to me as if I’d been away only a few weeks. There are no familiar faces, and no one recognizes me. By memory, I make my way along the winding road and soon end up in a clearing by a lake. Trees bend over the water, dragging their tendrils across its mirrored surface. Birds chirp contentedly.

This is it; I’m home. 

That’s because, in this case, “home” is actually “grove,” as in “a small wood.” It’s a term used in the text-adventure game I am currently playing, a Multi-User Dungeon (MUD) set in a vaguely Tolkien-esque world with touches of Greek mythology.

People use terms like “majestic,” “spectacularly vacant,” and “post-apocalyptic” to describe real-life ruins. There’s an entire subculture around images of once-splendid buildings, now left to rot and decay. I’m a quiet fan of these urban explorers, people who devote time to poking around abandoned buildings or “haikyo”—and, if they’re lucky, uncovering stories about the people that once resided there. And because I’ve spent so much time inhabiting digital rooms myself, I often think about how time decays digital structures.

Still in the MUD, I stand pondering, trying to recall the names of the people I used to spend so much time with. Some of my oldest real-life friendships are with people I met through this game, and I know of at least a couple of real-life marriages that first sparked here, too. It was here that I came on September 11, 2001, to discuss what had happened and to grieve with my community. Throughout the years, I’ve moved through several other online spaces, sometimes in virtual worlds, IRC channels or forums. I spent years developing a taste for ephemerality by playing ARGs and immersive fiction games. These days, my pursuits are largely offline, focusing on games and experiences that bring people together face to face, though I spend plenty of time on Twitter.

The grove’s owner enters the room, towing an animal companion behind them; it scratches at the ground, impatient. He greets me, smiling, but I can tell he would like me to leave.

I nod politely and move on, just one more traveler passing through.

Full article: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/07/what-happens-when-digital-cities-are-abandoned/373941/
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • IniarIniar Australia
    In case any of you are ever curious, the following is a distribution of the people who use my system:

No major surprises.
  • Man those Canadians in the far north are crazy.

• I suspect that it just colors the whole nation as opposed to specific national region. I don't know if we have any Alaskan players..
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Dude...#sarcasm.

• I'd love a map like that just showing the general spread of players and where they're from. I had no idea we had someone playing from Romania. And Finland, that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, Iniar!
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Here's a more fun one, but I won't do anything more granular than this, before Jeremy cans my ass. :)

• Ohio must be a really boring place :(
    Lies. Doesn't show Pennsylvania.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    You don't use my system...
  • Iniar said:

You don't use my system...

That you're aware of...
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Just so it doesn't clutter up @Wysrias' beautiful post:

• Iniar said:
    Here's a more fun one, but I won't do anything more granular than this, before Jeremy cans my ass. :)

Who else lives in Wisconsin that uses your system? I mean - I don't use it...and that shows multiple!
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I cannot say... :P
    Weird. Would've figured someone would from there. Ah well. I don't think I could handle Iniar's system. My scrubby little system is enough.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Makes me envious of people who can afford good art software.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited October 2014
  • Calling Shenanigans on your map, it doesn't show me.
    Septus says, "Not Ashani!"
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited October 2014
    24 hour-ish of data.

Hehehe.
  • IniarIniar Australia
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Ultrix

"The ants may be using their left eye to detect predators and their right to navigate. Also, their world is maze-like and consistently turning one way is a very good strategy to search and exit mazes."
  • Iniar said:
    @Ultrix

"The ants may be using their left eye to detect predators and their right to navigate. Also, their world is maze-like and consistently turning one way is a very good strategy to search and exit mazes."
    Ants are smart. They have the traveling salesman algorithm down pat.
  • IniarIniar Australia

Edyn

So you’ve got the fitness thing down. Your problem is unhealthy eating. Edyn, which was named a 2015 CES Best of Innovation Honoree, has unveiled a garden that can water itself. The smart garden has a sensor that can track anything from how much sunlight it gets and water needed to soil nutrition. The data is cross referenced with local meteorological information to offer advice on how often to water, what type of fertilizer to use, what type of vegetables will thrive in the habitat and the best time to plant them. The company this year is also releasing a water valve, which uses data from the garden to automatically manage the garden’s sprinkler system—helping even novice gardeners grow healthy food.

@Caitryn, @Ahkan
  • IniarIniar Australia

• Dicene said:
    I'm also partial to Square Enix's Please Look Forward To It!

Linslet said:
    The Duke Nukem Forever "It will be released when it's finished."
    I read this while groggy and was terrified for a moment that the people that finished Duke Nukem Forever might now be employed by Square Enix... Or anywhere.