Skip to content

Sect Rituals

Comments

• Avalanche still looks like the poor cousin in relation to the other 100% faith options.

I may be missing something, but I can't think of anything particularly enjoyable to do with it.
  • You're missing something.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Can we move Bull's Rush out of Movement, add a different 'super benefit' and then make it a domain available to everybody?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • I do feel that Movement needs something 'good' to make it worth investing one of your three slots into. Waterwalking and Bullsrush are nice, but I wouldn't take them over basically any of the other groups.
  • You know, one of the things that bothers me about these cult rituals is that they don't seem very ritualistic to me. They're just a new skillset that requires corpses instead of lessons. 

For example, using the Meteor ritual could require that you be at the cult altar and channel for ten, twenty seconds. Maybe even require multiple cultists taking part in it. This would be a good thing for the entities to customize to some degree, because everyone would also see, for example, a giant meteor flash across the sky and stop to hover. Then the cultist would have a few minutes to get to the enemy-filled location and finish calling the meteor down on their heads, which would only take a few seconds.

In this case, due to the long warning period(You could even make the name of the summoner known), I think you could make the Meteor ritual an all-room instakill again, and even expand it to deal diminishing damage based on proximity to that room (1 room away = 80% damage, 2 rooms = 70%, 3 rooms = 50%). And, just for fun, if the ritual gets interrupted the meteor could fall at the altar. Or randomly!

And you could also limit each cult to one active supah move at a time, and only one type of supah move active in the world. So if every cult picked Meteor, the first to get one going would have the advantage. It would encourage diversity to some degree.

• edited December 2012
    Juran said:
    I do feel that Movement needs something 'good' to make it worth investing one of your three slots into. Waterwalking and Bullsrush are nice, but I wouldn't take them over basically any of the other groups.

I think that they should drop bull rush entirely and just make the other four rituals general utility rituals that all sects always have access to. Aside from bull rush, it's all good solid utility stuff that I'd want.

I'm just not going to choose good solid utility stuff, because it's garbage in a fight and I've got to keep up with the demonic Joneses.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    Juran said:
    I do feel that Movement needs something 'good' to make it worth investing one of your three slots into. Waterwalking and Bullsrush are nice, but I wouldn't take them over basically any of the other groups.

I think that they should drop bull rush entirely and just make the other four rituals general utility rituals that all sects always have access to. Aside from bull rush, it's all good solid utility stuff that I'd want.

I'm just not going to choose good solid utility stuff because it's garbage in a fight, and I've got to keep up with the demonic Joneses.

They -could- though.

For example, what if they added a faith based roomwide teleport ability that worked like a prism but transferred everyone and everything in the room not loyal to a city into the destination room? It would have to be telegraphed, and might be prevented on either side by a monolith, but it would 100% be worth spending faith to get.

Another example: What if mobility could temporarily change the plane of a room off prime material? The room number wouldn't change, but it'd be impossible to teleport to or from that room with any power that doesn't cross planes. It would turn pillar of holding into a perfect wall, and also force people to walk into the room to get to you. 100% worth spending faith to get.
  • Or an ability to create a temporary exit from a room between cult members, linking them by an IN/OUT exit that lasts 5-10 minutes before collapsing.
    Or an ability that lets you jump to or from a private plane accessible only to your cult members and only while you have the power.
    Or an ability that lets you merge two areas into one temporarily allowing ranged attacks and area only teleports to function between them.

I can think of a lot of these.
  • Yeah, you could make a lot of mobility rituals that would be worth getting. I'm not denying that at all. 

I'd just rather not lock skills like altartravel and waterwalking and other useful-generally-non-combat utility skills up in a combat skillset, where they can be denied the members because I decided that I'd rather have Healing/Pillars/Moradeim or whatnot.

• Which is fine, I wouldn't mind them being general skills either.
  • Anyways, my problem with these rituals is STILL the fact that they're so powerful.

Potential game changers, almost all of them. 100% faith is short enough to bash up that I honestly expect to see at LEAST one of these rituals used in every single fight, especially the cheaper variants.

Sects are basically a tertiary skillset, it seems, with a large upkeep cost. 

• I just want to be able to kill people that are gathering faith with the probable intention of using it against me.
  • Hrm, regarding Movement, what if we made it available to everyone, but the fifth skill (Bull's Rush) would still be subject to the 5th-ritual selection? Ie, you could pick either that or one of your sect's chosen three.
  • I think that would be fine, but I would pick Bull's Rush just so I can escape Engage and etc forever. I'm more inclined to just cut Bull's Rush.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • To be honest, I'd like to suggest you take up Juran's idea of a personal cult plane. It could operate off the same costs as a house, and a miracle could access it. It could be an expensive thing to establish.. (massive faith cost), and reaching it could be only through altars at a small faith cost.
  • edited December 2012

Sarrius said:
    I think that would be fine, but I would pick Bull's Rush just so I can escape Engage and etc forever. I'm more inclined to just cut Bull's Rush.

You would take Bull's Rush because you're terrible. I'm going to choose a power that wins fights, instead of providing mediocre escape utility, because I'm not.

• Faith is extraordinary easy for any aspect to bash up. You can bet I'd be using the powerful 100% faith skills every time there's a fight going on at the altar. Anyone who isn't an aspect basher would have a tougher time of getting it, but with faith saving up if you don't die during bashing, I don't think it'd be uncommon to see altar fights devolving into everyone activating their power powerful abilities and let's see who picked the better rituals.
  • Gurn said:
    Faith is extraordinary easy for any aspect to bash up. You can bet I'd be using the powerful 100% faith skills every time there's a fight going on at the altar. Anyone who isn't an aspect basher would have a tougher time of getting it, but with faith saving up if you don't die during bashing, I don't think it'd be uncommon to see altar fights devolving into everyone activating their power powerful abilities and let's see who picked the better rituals.
    Or whoever better utilizes their rituals, which is a tactical decision - because I guarantee that I could win fights with every power group listed so far but Mobility - and the groups that I pick might not be best for magick or demonic, depending on how they plan to fight.
  • Can the waterwalking ritual please just be a non-duration defense that can be stripped on log out? I don't feel a need to set a duration on it if it has to cost a 'whopping' 40% faith.
  • Or maybe stripped on death instead of log out.
  • Or let us sanctify items on the altar.. mobility rituals could sanctify boots for neat benefits..

Like, say, waterwalking boots! Magick still has a distinct advantage in that theirs cost 0 faith, but at least every side gets theirs!

Too hopeful? :(
  • edited December 2012
    So the alertness favor has been kind of bugging me because it feels like it's kind of a waste and no one's ever going to use it. You have to endure Therian level paranoia to think that's something that you want.

What would be cool is a high cost ritual that allows a target a 30 minute race change. Something like, Shapeshifter's Blessing. The target the blessing is given to would have a 5 minute window to do a race/statpack change that would last for 30 minutes. This would be awesome for shardfalls or even just small skirmishes where say a Runeguard would like to get into strong in order to beef up, or a Templar wants to get a high int pack to machine gun flares.

This would really round out the utility blessings and make them a huge advantage to have in your faction. It would also perhaps develop a new appreciation for those people who just endlessly bash as they could dole out stat/reincarnation blessings which could turn the tide of a fight.

What do you all think?

‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I think that if you want frequent race changes, there's an easy answer for you, and it's called the Transmutation Gem.

If you want more frequent changes, there's also the change aspect and the aspect perk to upgrade your gem to 2 changes/day.

• Again, it's a 30 minute change. An Obelisk is at least an hour. Bashing for 30 minutes in another spec? It accomplishes nothing, especially when you're probably paying for it. I mean, it's a short, neat blessing that helps make it worthwhile for someone to pick up the blessing tree.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • So, anything come from our passive-aggressive sniping and input? Just wondering if you've thought out any new additions or changes.
  • Yeah, sorry, got busy with some IRE projects - I'll review these on Monday.
  • Alright, let me see. Movement will be a generic group, except the Bull's Rush will still be subject to the 'one pickable 5th ritual' rule. Waterwalking will last longer - spedific numbers to be determined, probably around an hour. Extraplanar locations most likely aren't going to be included, although maybe we'll end up doing something similar with temples.

Some of the powers will be adjusted further and some of the effects may end up requiring the presence of an altar to be activated - other than that, if there aren't any additional concerns, going with the list as posted on the last page - we'll of course be doing post-release tweaks where needed.
  • There are two obvious ways it could work, either all of the superpowers are only useful at altars or none of them are. If meteor requires an altar but blessing of life does not, people will pick the latter instead of the former.

I'd be content to just let everything  be used everywhere and see how it plays out. If it becomes obvious that 'shrine wars' are the best use for sect powers, it can always be changed later.

• edited December 2012
    Waterwalking should just be a strippable def. You are tapping in to your cult's belief pool - and a healthy chunk of it - to get that kind of benefit. The cost is more suited to my suggestion of blessing boots.

Edit: otherwise for now, I guess I'm going to say this is ok. I think if you take the other feature requests (the altar being able to do RP illusions, etc) and stack them up with this, we might have something.
  • edited December 2012

I've got tons of concerns, especially regarding an early release.

First, my cult is at 55% belief, and I haven't seen or spoken to one of the entities that interacted with the magick circle in... weeks. Implementing this rituals unevenly is going to put everybody who doesn't have the entity/belief at a massive disadvantage that can only be resolved via a massive bashing spree AND the intervention of a volunteer who wants the cult. So my shardfall success is going to be based around a thing I have absolutely zero control over.

The powers are so hugely effective that they're going to be a major factor in teamfights, and the belief/faith system ensures that Sects will run neutral on expenditures, at the least, so using the powers isn't going to be a significant drain, especially with how relatively quick it is to bash up 100% faith. So you can expect to see these powers used as fast as they can be bashed up. The most significant cost of any big power is "I can't use another power this same battle"

Frankly, I'd prefer to see the high end(T5/T4) powers reserved for altars, or maybe special ritual locations or such. You can use the lower level ones more frequently, but you can't bring the big guns to bear in every single fights. This will hopefully keep shardfalls from being "Magick swarms shardfalls under by having more faith at the point of impact."