Skip to content

The Imperian Cookbook

Aleutia mentioned this idea on ring the other day and I figured we'd go for it. I also believe Gurn attempted something like this a while back so....here we go.

In an effort to cease being toxic pooheads and build a sense of community, feel free to provide your most delectable recipes to your fellow Imperianites.

That is my contribution right now.

Comments

• Lets start this off right. Pie recipes from my family's Thanksgiving table every year:

Pecan Pie

3     eggs                           1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup sugar                    1 cup white syrup  (Karo Syrup)
    1/2 stick butter                   1 teaspoon vanilla (I use Watkins double strength real vanilla)
    1 cup pecans                     1 deep dish pie crust

Beat eggs slightly:  Add sugar, syrup, salt, melted butter and vanilla.  Mix thoroughly.  Stir in pecans.  Pour into 9 inch pastry.  Bake 300 degrees.  50 to 60 minutes.   Makes one pie.

I like to mix in the pecans, and then drop a few on top for extra pecan goodness.

I usually have to bake mine a little longer (maybe 10 minutes).  Check with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.  

Cherry-O-Cream Cheese Pie

Plain or Crumb Crust (I buy a graham cracker crust)
    Filling: 
    1 pkg 8oz cream cheese  
    1 (15oz) can Eagle Brand Milk 
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla

1 can (1lb.6oz) can prepared cherry pie filling

Soften cream cheese to room temp.  Whip with beater until fluffy.   Gradually add Eagle Brand Milk.  Continue beating til well blended.  Add lemon juice and vanilla.  Blend well.  Pour into crust.  Chill 2-3 hours before garnishing top with 1 can (1lb.6oz) prepared cherry pie filling.

This makes a tangy cheesecake. It's not super sweet, but it's what I grew up with!

• Great idea. I'm always on the look out for a new recipe!

Malaysian inspired curry (not that hot)

Don't know how genuine it is, but I read the recipe online somewhere, adapted it a bit and it's reet tasty as they say in this part of England. 

curry paste:
    2 lemongrass, 
    about 25g of fresh or frozen ginger, 
    half a teaspoon of turmeric,
    3 shallots,
    a clove or two of garlic,
    pinch of salt,
    2 red chilli. If you like it hot, generally go for small chillies or add more. If you don't like heat, largish chillies generally carry less heat.

Blend all that up well, then when it's getting a bit annoying start to slowly pour in some oil. Generic vegetable oil works well, but you can use olive or whatever you have to hand. About 2 Tablespoons, just to turn it into a paste that is easy to blend and no more.

Whizz again.

Throw the whole lot in a heavy based pan, or wok. Fry it for about 3-5 mins on a medium heat, until it smells reet!

Then add a can of coconut milk ~400ml, and about 250ml of stock. I use vegetarian, but chicken would be tasty. 

Turn up the gas to boil it for a min, then simmer for a while until it looks a nice consistency. 

Throw in whatever you want. Original recipe called for fried tofu, but cooked chicken/fake chicken are probably best. Then I add baby corn, sugar snaps, cooked oyster mushrooms (or whatever mushrooms) about 2 mins before serving.

Serve with coconut/plain rice. Throw on crushed peanuts and a good sprinkling of coriander (or cilantro if that's what you call it) and a wedge of lime to squeeze over.

Reet.

• For those of you in cold country, like myself, I will be posting my Broccoli and Cheddar soup. Really easy, and delicious. It's a thicker soup, which I prefer.
  • Double Post: 

As a note from my first post in this thread. If you guys are interested in me (attempting) to make a meal/dessert from the game, post your ideas here, and the design number. If I find the time I want to test some out!
  • Sausage Rigatoni

1 pound bulk italian sausage (can use regular, mild, hot or spicy...I always add more than this)
    12 ounce box rigatoni - cooked al dente and drained
    4 cups tomato sauce, divided
    1/2 pound provolone cheese - sliced
    3/4 cup sour cream
    2 teaspoon dried basil
    2 teaspon dried oregano
    2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 pound mozzarella cheese
    1/2 pound grated parmesan cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 13x9x2" baking pan.

In a large skillet, brown sausage, drain and discard drippings. Place rigatoni in prepared pan.

Mix two cups tomato sauce, sour cream together and half of the sausage. Pour over noodles. Top with provolone cheese.

Sprinkle basil, oregano, garlic powder and black pepper over provolone.

Mix the rest of the tomato sauce and sausage together. Pour the mixture over the provolone.

Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

(You can make this the day before and refrigerate overnight - just bake it a little longer.)  
  • Old family recipe:

Peanut butter cookies:
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup peanut butter
    1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
    1 egg

-preheat oven to 375
    -mix ingredients thoroughly
    -roll dough into small balls thrice the size of your thumb. (these will flatten into cookie shapes as they bake)
    - lightly dust sheet with flour
    -make light criss-crosses on the top of each cookie.
    -LIGHTLY coat top of cookies in confectioners sugar
    -bake 10-15 minutes

I've been told it's more like baked peanut butter than cookies, but it's delicious.

My grandparents like crunchy cookies, so you can probably mess around with the bake time.
  • Crunchy cookies are blasphemous.

• In the cookie world, nothing beats a warm, soft peanut butter cookie. Chocolate chips optional.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Celestine Wisconsin Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    Celestine said:
    3/4 cup sour cream
    Wisconsonites and their cheese/dairy. <3
  • Cassius said:
    Celestine Wisconsin Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    Celestine said:
    3/4 cup sour cream
    Wisconsonites and their cheese/dairy. <3
    Don't forget the alcohol...I will be posting some jello-shot recipes and other alcoholic deliciousness in the near future.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I often mix orange hi c with captain Morgan reserve. Sounds off, but tastes like an orange alcoholic creamcicle.
  • Omg, as a certified fat kid, Aleutia's pulled pork recipe is amazing. You can also  get a bigger pork butt (8lbs+) and feed about 12-15 ravenous grad students. GOLD STAR. I'll post a picture later.

• Oh God I love my torch.  I definitely recommend the Rosle chef's torch and if you look around you can get it for a pretty good price.  Burn all of the things.  Made my first Crème brûlée.  Nothing fancy - in fact was out of a box, but I just wanted to practice caramelizing - and frankly, it was pretty good (because things made with fresh cream generally are).  I just wish I could buy table cream out west.  
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Someone make this and mail them to me.

wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Iniar said:

Stuff

I have the plates and the ramekins. That's about it. And possibly the pizza sauce. The rest - you're on your own.
  • edited February 2015
    Food fit for Gods and Entities alike: Foie gras!

http://i.imgur.com/FgMsXVj.jpg

Foie gras, Huckleberry gastrique, pickled huckleberry, butter glazed green apple, shaved celery, almond crumble, cayenne apple crisps, batard toast.

Oh no! That sounds very difficult and complicated and who can make that at home? Well, in all reality, those are just fancy words to sell to customers. Everything's relatively simple to prepare, so long as you can get your hands on some foie gras.

This is the one I made at home:

Pickled Huckleberry/Huckleberry gastrique:

Huckleberries
    3 parts Rice wine vinegar or any sweet vinegar
    2 parts Sugar
    1 part water
    Pinch of salt
    Combine vinegar, sugar, and water, bring to boil. Pour over huckleberries, enough to cover, chill for at least 2 hours.

Strain huckleberries, reserve liquid.
    To make the gastrique, boil down until half the liquid remains, add some sugar until it's somewhat sweet(amount varies depending on how sour your huckleberries were), boil by half again, or until the sauce is syrupy. Cool to room temperature.

Butter glazed green apple

Ingredients:
    Granny Smith apples
    1 Tablespoon of Butter for every apple slice
    Pinch of salt

Peel and cut apple. If you're feeling particularly fancy, tourne the apples, but otherwise just cut slices.
    Hot pan, butter in. When the butter is all melted, throw the apples in, toss to coat. Let apples sit until they achieve a nice browning, flip, brown again, take out of the pan.

Shaved celery

Ingredients:
    Celery

Take a mandolin to your celery, core side down, so that you get little strips. Put the strips in ice water so that they curl up.

Almond crumble

Ingredients:
    Almonds
    Salt

Toast almonds with salt in an oven. Throw it in a food processor or chop until it's crumbly.

Cayenne Apple Crisps

Ingredients:
    Granny Smith apples
    Cayenne
    Sugar
    Water

Prepare simple syrup(1:1 ratio of water/sugar, simmer until sugar is dissolved).
    Slice green apples on mandolin, popping out any seeds.
    Simmer green apples in syrup for 5 minutes, or until softened(but not falling apart).
    Put on silicon pad, sprinkle on cayenne pepper, dehydrate in oven at 140F or dehydrator until crispy.

Batard toast

Ingredients:
    Batard(or whatever bread you want)

Toast it somehow.

Foie Gras

Super hot cast iron pan. Throw in foie gras, keep on one side until it has a nice brown sear. Flip. Sear again. Depending on thickness, put in oven until warm in the center(you can check this with a cake tester, or a thermometer).

Assemble prettily on plate. Done!
  • CelestineCelestine Wisconsin
    edited February 2015
    I promised @Ahkan I would post the recipe for the Banana Bars I made a couple weeks ago. They are super easy!

Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter (softened)
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt (I omit this)
    2 medium ripe bananas (mashed)

Frosting
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese (softened)
    1/2 cup butter (softened)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 15x10x1 pan. (A cookie sheet with edges works perfectly.)

-In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in bananas.

-Spread mixture into the greased pan.

-Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

-Cool.

-For the frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve desired consistence.

-Frost bars and store in refrigerator.

(This recipe makes 3-4 dozen bars.)

Edit: The picture isn't working for some reason, so here is the link: http://imgur.com/43Mpq1z