Skip to content

Relics Part Two

This is an addendum to the previous relic thread here: http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/390/relics/p1

Code work has begun on the items listed here: http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/292/cult-and-sect-expansion/p1

Relics

• Relics will be drops from bosses and major mobs. (Why would normal mobs have powerful relics?)
  • Relic drops will be rare.
  • Relics can be sold in shops and traded for gold.
  • Shrines can hold up to 3 relics.
  • Each relic power has 3 item variants. Such as a scepter, crown, and robe of teleportation.
  • A shrine can only hold 1 variant. So it could have the scepter and the crown, but not a crown and a crown.
  • The more variants in the same shrine with the same power, the more powerful the effects.
  • A shrine can have 1 very powerful power, 3 different powers, or a level 2 and level 1 power.
  • Multiples of each relic can exist.

Relic Powers

• Powers will not be simple stat bonuses as players are bored with that.
  • Cooldown and effects are based on the level of the power. (level 1, 2, or 3)

Working Power List

• Teleport to the altar or other shrines in the web.
  • Altar shielding 
  • Shrine shielding 
  • Command to knock people from room
  • Command to catch people on fire
  • Command to refresh the health and mana of everyone in the room
  • Command to cure all the afflictions of the people in the room.
  • Fullsense ability that bypasses phase
  • Straight damage to people in the room
  • No one in the room can die for X minutes (constant starbust)
  • No teleportation/escape skills the room radius
  • Only a 2 people can be in the room at a time. (different circles)
  • Can do a ritual on the shrine
  • Spawns hostile monsters.

Note:

• We will be adding more powers, but we need a place to start.
  • Code work has not started on this, but we will soon, so feedback is good.

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    Regardless that numbers will be small, will you cap the max number of multiples (Please say yes)

Powers:
    1. The Null Ring idea - 30 second nullification of all artifacts in-room
    2. Equilibrium - For 30 seconds, everyone in the room has the same HP and MP
    3. Unburst - This power strips the starburst and redemption effect, and places it in an internal cool down for 5 minutes
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • I may do some capping, or at least make the drops more rare the more of them that are floating around.

Remember that killing a shrine will destroy it's relics too.

I'll add those powers to the 'thinking about it' list.

• IniarIniar Australia
    4. Feedback - For 10 seconds, all damage done to wielder is reflected back in full to their attacker
    5. Trequartista - as a channeled ability, the wielder decreases equilibrium costs of circle member by 20%
    6. Ovation - relapsing abilities trigger 20% faster
    7. Resistance is Futile - Strip a single person's resistance in entirety for 4 seconds
  • 1. Balance - only an equal number of players from each circle may be inside any one room in this shrine's influence.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited August 2014
    8. Until the Fat Lady Sings - (an iteration on the starburst idea you posted Jeremy) until all players of any given circle are killed, each member is revived with 1 HP.
    9. Winter is Coming - The cold and magick resistance of Ithaquans (fine, whoever) is raised by 10% for 30 seconds
    10. Nothing but the Rain - For every non-circle member past the total of your circle numbers in the room, circle members have their damage increased by 5%
    11. Might makes Right - Damage from blunt weapons are relapsed at t=2s in the same room as the wielder, for 30% of the amount, and for 2 minutes.

12. Hell hath No Fury - Herb balances are reduced by 0.5 seconds in room for 30 seconds.
    13. Tit for Tat - Each affliction cured by wielder is reflected in full on the aggressor
  • IniarIniar Australia
    These look like great combat imbalancers, which to be honest, can be quite fun (plenty of 'uhm wth' moments are great). The potential concern is that these imbalancers generally work better when they sway in favour of the underdog - is there a way you could bias this?

For example, things like Track Pets/Lyres are amazing at creating 'surprise' for new-ish combatants, and can, in the right circumstances, swing favorably towards the underdog team.
  • Questions about shrines and relics can be posted here and I will try to answer what I can.  

To begin with, I've been asked about where you can place shrines. You may place a shrine anywhere within 3 rooms of your alter or another level 3 shrine. 

I've also been asked why you want shrines. The obvious answer is so you can put your awesome relics in them, whose effects are described in HELP RELICS.  But you also gain various PVE benefits to having more shrines (and of higher level). Some of these benefits depend only on the number and level of the shrines, while others depend on the number and level of the shrines in your current area.  
  • As it stands right now, a non-Aspect helping with this system is going to cripple their experience gain and "I can help my sect with this system but only if I'm willing to give up personal progression to Aspect" is sort of a shitty feeling and making non-Aspects feel conflicted between personal progression and sect progression is pretty crappy, imo. 

The people with the most reason to hunt are the people who can't afford to help the sect hunt? Meh, I say. Meh.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Could the "You gain 0 experience. You need 43,457,712 more for level 110." message go to something more like..."You put #### experience towards a drop of blood (24% of the way to a new drop)" or the like?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Can we also have it logged somewhere when someone puts in a drop of <whatever> into the shrine? Either in the belieflog or the regular log?

Also, if someone defiles a shrine, is that logged anywhere for the affected cult/sect?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited February 2015
    Name     : Trequartista
    Cooldown : 30 min, 20 min, 10 min
    Effect   : Channeled ability, the wielder decreases equilibrium costs of circle member by 20%. Lasts up to 5 minutes.
    Command  : RELIC ACTIVATE 
    @Jeremy is the best.

E: need to find a level 5 player to come cast 'Equity' in a 'Feedback/Rebirth' room with a Holding pillar active. :3 #inboundComedy
  • Khizan said:

Could the "You gain 0 experience. You need 43,457,712 more for level 110." message go to something more like..."You put #### experience towards a drop of blood (24% of the way to a new drop)" or the like?

This has been implemented.
  • Ultrix said:

Can we also have it logged somewhere when someone puts in a drop of <whatever> into the shrine? Either in the belieflog or the regular log?

Also, if someone defiles a shrine, is that logged anywhere for the affected cult/sect?
    Defiling is now logged to the sect log (it wasn't logged anywhere before).  

Putting drops into the log seems spammy. If there's a demand for it, fine, but it seems like  you can just view the shrine to see the number.
  • Khizan said:

As it stands right now, a non-Aspect helping with this system is going to cripple their experience gain and "I can help my sect with this system but only if I'm willing to give up personal progression to Aspect" is sort of a shitty feeling and making non-Aspects feel conflicted between personal progression and sect progression is pretty crappy, imo. 

The people with the most reason to hunt are the people who can't afford to help the sect hunt? Meh, I say. Meh.

It's true this draws experience from individuals to gain comms, but they still benefit the sect by bashing for belief even if they keep the XP.  And even if they generate comms, they also still get the total XP applied to their bash/pk/quest level, just not their overall level.  

Also, if someone can generate significant comms (given their cost), they shouldn't have too much trouble getting to around aspect.  
  • Also, the reason why it looked like shrine scores were not increasing after adding some comms was because we were rounding to the nearest 10.  This has now been fixed and will round to the nearest number.
  • edited February 2015
    Putting drops into the log seems spammy. If there's a demand for it, fine, but it seems like you can just view the shrine to see the number.
    The point of this request would be to track *who* was putting in the drops, so that sects/cults could award those members for their contribution.

(And if you think drop logs would be spammy, you clearly have not seen a belief log where someone offers -each individual corpse- one at a time.... :( )
  • Fine, fine. I added it to the belief log.
  • Can you talk on channels while erecting a shrine (like most other channeled skills)?
  • Two questions:
    Is it possible to remove relics from shrines in case you want to change them around later on?
    Can the building of shrines be made an investable power, so random newcomers to the sect can't use up 75% of your belief?
  • Is it intentional that the contribution of experience is affected by the experience gain reduction post-100?

As in, the 20k experience I contribute from killing, say, an ebonmarrow, is actually 200k experience for someone below 100. It appears that the conversion happens before it's applied towards drops, making sub-aspects by far the most efficient way of generating these things.

• I'm concerned about the effectiveness of the diminishing returns with the numbers they're at currently. Once you get 4 of all of them, you're still 40 points short of even the first level improvement. 244-4-4 is equivalent to 84-84-84 for a level 4 shrine. Not much motivation to do anything you weren't already going to do.

Also, something that makes it harder to attack shrines deeper in the web would be nice. This would make it so shrine conflicts tended to be on the fringes, but you could still try to hit key shrines at a higher investment.

Do relic powers extend through the web at all?

Commodity generation total doesn't scale between <100 and Aspects, meaning they generate way more commodities. This is Bad.

• Working on some of these issues today. Will post as we do them. 

Thanks!

• Ahkan said:

Can you talk on channels while erecting a shrine (like most other channeled skills)?

Yes
  • Seraphyne said:

Two questions:

Is it possible to remove relics from shrines in case you want to change them around later on?
    Can the building of shrines be made an investable power, so random newcomers to the sect can't use up 75% of your belief?
    It is now, but only by limited sect/cult members.  Removing a relic destroys it, but frees the spot it was taking.
    It is now. 
  • Kabaal said:

Also, something that makes it harder to attack shrines deeper in the web would be nice. This would make it so shrine conflicts tended to be on the fringes, but you could still try to hit key shrines at a higher investment.

Do relic powers extend through the web at all?

Something like this has been added.  Basically, there is now a formula based on the distance and level of other shrines that makes certain shrines immune to regular attack. The basic mark is if a shrine has 3 level 4 shrines 2 rooms away, that shrine cannot be defiled.  

Most relic powers are room-only.  There are certain relics that do touch on the entire web, but these are few and far between.  There are of course the PVE benefits that I mentioned before for having a number of (and high levels of) shrines (some in area, some game-wide).  
  • Any chance we could get a warning on secttell or some such when someone initiates a defilement? As far as I've been told, people don't seem to be seeing them (maybe this is just poor timing), but if not it'd be nice to know. At the moment you're pretty much stuck spamming readlog on a timer hoping to be able to catch someone in the act otherwise, which isn't ideal.
  • There is now a notification part of the way through the defile process. It isn't immediate, but it is before the full defile ends.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • NOTE: Names of defilers are deliberately not logged. We're considering ways to better notify defenders and allow for fair retribution.

(Not realizing this, I "fixed" logs for a couple of minutes, so some log notes might have had names when they weren't supposed to. My bad)
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • If a boss drops a relic, could it have a cooldown so it won't drop that relic when it repops .1s later?