Skip to content

Raksha Band Re: Within Enemy Cities

First off, this band is amazing and people pay a LOT for them. I don't want to see the investments diminished. That being said, a certain someone is abusing the heck out of them raid the back parts of a certain city. I don't mind using it offensively, I think that's a perfectly viable thing. The problem comes in that he can be soundly beaten, and die, but we can't track down exactly where his band is because he can enter the city, go streaking along back avenues and reset the band anywhere, while continuing to a new back corner to try and annoy people from. It basically makes it completely impossible to stop a person who has entered once with a band, from entering and doing whatever they please.

My votes:
-Cooldown for setting a room as a band location, if that room is within a city/council you're enemied to.
-Some sort of room mark within the council/city that your band is set to, IF you're enemied.
-Some silly long balance cost to set it to that room, if you're enemied.

Or some other option. Anything really, so that defenders have any way to stop(have a chance to locate the invasion room) someone determined to be a pain and attack citizens for no apparent reason other than boredom.

Comments

• CelestineCelestine Wisconsin
    I find this amusing, coming from someone who uses the Raksha band to escape any and all situations involving combat (even when you start it).  Your complaint, of using it offensively, has been the subject of many complaints before. It's really lame for someone to be able to hop in and out of a room and attack/run. The fact of the matter is, everyone 'abuses' things in this game, whether it be this or something else. I'd also like to point out others who have the band, do the same thing to Antioch/Ithaqua and Stavenn/Khandava. If you're going to point the finger at 'a certain someone', please be aware that there is more than just the 'certain someone' you are speaking of. 
  • And changes would stop all of those people from doing. I've got no belief that only one person abuses it this way. Nor do I care who in particular is doing it right now. Nor do I care at all, that the bands are used as defensive measures to escape combat.  Nor, do I really mind that they're used offensively. I just believe that there should be -something- defenders can do against it other than sigh and log out.
  • CelestineCelestine Wisconsin
    Aakrin said:
    ...Nor do I care who in particular is doing it right now. Nor do I care at all, that the bands are used as defensive measures to escape combat.  Nor, do I really mind that they're used offensively...
    Then what was the point of your post, if you don't care? That it's not fair that people can use the band to their advantage and your disadvantage? I'm not trying to be a total 'b' here, but it sounds like you're just whining and moaning.
  • My point is, that the band should have some form of counter against the amount of power it offers when it comes to invading a city. I firmly believe, a city should be the safest place for a person to rest, while enjoying their game. There are -tons- of ways to invade, and an equal amount of ways to counter invasions. But there is no counter to once a band owner successfully manages to get to a safe corner of the city, being allowed access to the city without any way of the defenders being able to stop it.

And yes, I have a band. And as an owner of a band, I don't believe I should have the power to do that in enemy cities/councils. The defenders of those places should have a chance at countering my returns. Be it knowing where I'll return, and stationing guards. Or being fast enough to see me enter the city, and run to punish me. I don't believe city incursion tools should have zero counter-balance.
  • edited July 2014
    The point of a Raksha Band is, literally, everything you just described. That is the product description when it was first auctioned off. It is meant to allow access to any room unfettered and there is nothing you can do to stop it short of wearing Septus or whomever out. I do not agree with the power the Raksha Band provides, but as a 2000+ credit artifact, chances are it is not getting changed any time soon. We spilled that milk, and it does not surprise me that Magick of all people are the ones rushing to try and skim it back in to the carton.

Let's be frank here - what can Septus really do inside Kinsarmar after twisting in besides getting a lucky prism, brazier, or deliver? He can't solo guards (though, knowing Kinsarmar, they will find a way to prove me wrong here..), he can barely navigate the city, there is no property for him to destroy, etc. All he can do is engage you if you LET HIM. Just turn on telepaths and archers, then stop sending me messages about it.

Edit: Also, @Aakrin, claiming you don't want to see the band's investment diminished is disingenuous. You want to see one of it's main purposes severely punished. Much like the Veil, chances are that will never ever happen.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I'm all for creating another artifact that's super damn expensive that helps hinder people who like running.
  • Mathiaus said:

I'm all for creating another artifact that's super damn expensive that helps hinder people who like running.

So we can charge 2000+ credits for it and only let one person buy it every two years? No thanks. That's how we got in this mess in the first place.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Personally I'd be fine with the raksha clearing from hostile teritories if you die. Its a legitimate use for the ring (a terribly infuriating one, but that sums up rakshas in general).
  • Septus said:

Personally I'd be fine with the raksha clearing from hostile teritories if you die. Its a legitimate use for the ring (a terribly infuriating one, but that sums up rakshas in general).

I'd also think that this would make sense for waymarks, raido, shard mark, windscribe, heirloom, etc. type abilities.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    One would think that the cost-price for an artifact to be relatively immune to change would be at least 2-3 times the cost-price of the most expensive and freely available artifact, i.e. 4,000 to 6,000 credits. I know sure as hell that 2000 credits is a pretty low price for an artifact to be rendered 'immune to change bcoz expensive'
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Yet precedent would dictate otherwise. @Jeremy seemed hesitant, if not outright disinterested, in changing the Veil. The Raksha has cost way more in the past. I just accept it as a thing we cannot change and move on with my life.

What I would like to see for small changes to it is forcing profession changes and removal of the ring from your person clearing the room it is set to, preventing it from being shared or being used by players who pick up stealth profs so they can set their band and play a totally different class while raiding.
  • edited July 2014
    Aakrin said:
     I just believe that there should be -something- defenders can do against it other than sigh and log out.

AB PIONEERING PURSUE.

Also AB TERRATHERIA EARTHSENSE (Though I'm unfamiliar with the nature of the feedback given by this one and does have the unimaginably tedious requirement of a single citizen willing to stand around doing nothing.)

• Ozreas said:

Aakrin said:
     I just believe that there should be -something- defenders can do against it other than sigh and log out.

AB PIONEERING PURSUE.

Also AB TERRATHERIA EARTHSENSE (Though I'm unfamiliar with the nature of the feedback given by this one and does have the unimaginably tedious requirement of a single citizen willing to stand around doing nothing.)

Veils are immune to both.
  • True, though that does not discount the fact that there are skills within your city's kit able to detect the movement of someone travelling in using the ring. If there is a different artifact invalidating use of those skills... that sounds like a problem with that artifact, or the performance of the skill, rather than a case of no counter existing.

• The Veil just shouldn't provide absolute detection immunity when inside an enemy city.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• As was mentioned before, the peasants revolted and their cries of "veils r dum" fell beneath the pleasant ring of coins merrily rubbing against one another. 

People even mentioned that veils do MORE than advertised and no one cared. Maybe the 8th time is a charm.
  • edited July 2014
    The band clearing from hostile territory on death is a fine idea. Allows its offensive power to stay, while giving some way to defend against it.