Skip to content

Achievements

I made this topic title pretty general, as I think there might be a lot of achievements-related ideas that people want to discuss. I know some people think that achievements are dumb and pointless etc, etc, (looking at you @Khizan), but some people enjoy collecting points, collecting the little rewards, etc. So here is a good place to discuss adding more achievements and rewards or tweaking existing ones.

For my own part, though, I want to talk about the three 10k mob kills achievements: Orc Smasher, Exorcist, and Vampire Hunter. As much as I appreciate collectibles, at least the ones for Chur, Rafe, and Balan have nifty catch phrases and that. I know for certain that the doll for Orc Smasher doesn't do much and isn't very interesting to look at, and I can't imagine the demonic statuette or the bone... thingy are any better for the 10k kills it takes to earn them. 

So, instead of some crappy little collectible, I propose something that people might actually want for killing 10,000 orcs or demons or undead: some kind of bashing bonus against each type. It could be something like increased damage, or increased frequency of criticals, or increased damage resistance toward a particular mob type. I don't know. What do you guys think? 

Comments

• Maybe we could make the dolls prevent aggression. I kill ten thousand undead, I wave a scary doll in their face, they tend to let me wander around as I like without bothering me.
  • I'm not a big fan of making the 10k kills achivements turn into "It's even easier to grind these things than before!". I'm also not a huge fan of making them make things non-aggressive, if just because that also trivializes bashing many areas.

What I want to see is the removal of some of the achievements. I'm thinking of things like "Res 1000 players", specifically. Achievements where the only feasible way to get them is to pay somebody farm them with things like "Kill and res somebody 1000 times." I mean, as long as I've been playing, and ressing from teamfights, and getting people who died while bashing... "Resurrections : 116". If you want that in a reasonable amount of time, you basically HAVE to farm them. So the achievement becomes less "I ressed a lot of people!" and more "I paid somebody to set triggers to renounce grace and farmed it!"

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited November 2012
    I'm on my way legitimately to 1000 kills but it makes me sour when someone like Dias games it.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited November 2012
    Resurrections     : 929       

I have never set up a trigger to resurrect people. Myth. Busted.

You're also forgetting that the system was probably designed for long term players. It makes sense for some achievements to take months or years to complete.
  • It isn't a very fun system.. it just encourages grinding. The closest to 'fun' I have for anything similar to achievements is qhonors. I love those.

All I view these achievements as is a stack of exp bonuses for me when I need to crush the harder reaches of Aspect (L99, benefits or perks)
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>