Skip to content

A hypothetical "lesson market"

So we already have a credit market, thats horribly over-inflated for anyone that doesn't live and breath Imperian, or hasn't been playing for years and amassed a huge amount of gold. We obviously have a need for a gold sink (and lesson sink). That I believe is where the mercenary system was headed. This kinda goes along the same train of thought, but would be a much simpler(probably) implementation, and a much quicker transaction for the party(ies) involved.

Why not a lesson market? Don't get me wrong-The new lesson packages are a great start. Quite honestly, if you could buy them up to 5 times, I would probably spend the money. But even still, it's far from enough for people trying to learn general/mini skills or crafting skills. I'm not sure if you would rather have it a player-driven market like the credit market(we've all seen how that goes, as it doesn't really take gold OUT of the economy, but just generates more incentive to create it) that would allow players to sell off their excess lessons(probably not that beneficial honestly), or creating a game-run market that would sell lessons for gold, obstensibly from a trainer. This would in fact permanently REMOVE gold from the game while selling newer players lessons. Older players could perhaps buy enough lessons, taking enough gold out of the game to effectively deflate the economy, while getting a chance to perhaps play a new class they wouldn't have played before. This would benefit new and older players, stimulate activity(more people around), and that I believe would still lead in turn to people buying credits for things like artifacts. Quite honestly, having to choose between lessons and artifacts as a player isn't the greatest decision in the world.

The lesson deals and promotions have been happening for a while off and on now, before finally ending up with the no-brainer package(which is a great package). Why not expand on that?

Comments

• The lesson market as player-driven would be no better than a credit market because the conversion rate is 6 lessons = 1 credit and that has been established. Thus, the price of lessons would never go below 1/6th of a credit per 1 lesson.

An NPC-ran market would be a poor gold sink and would invalidate IRE's business model.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited June 2014
    See I dont agree with that. Credits are used for other things besides being converted to lessons. A credit that your going to convert into a lesson isn't worth the same (to me) as one your going to use to buy an artifact. The fact that the system inherently ties the price of essentially, for lack of a better word, "leveling" your character, with something that if you gain enough of them provides you a boost of power above the norm(artifacts), seems baseless and flawed.

Perhaps the NPC ran market would screw things up. It was just a thought. Maybe if you put a cap on it? I dunno.

Anyway, I believe IRE is already treading the waters with regards to seperating lessons and credits. I dont know the exact amount of credits converted to lessons or what not, but I do believe they would sell more lessons than credits if they priced them properly. Greater volume of a lesser priced good can sometimes be more beneficial than a smaller volume of a greater priced good.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_exchange-rate_system - Sarrius is correct. Credits are simply a medium of exchange, their price reflects the availability of gold (damn you Riksha, also haha Imperuan style QE), their only "problem" being 'indivisibility'. I'm not opposed to your idea, I just feel that (a) historically, currencies with a FE rate always stay within the band of their peg ala Malaysia etc and (b) Imperian services a small population which means your derived value of a lesson market will burn through rapidly (see mercenary system)
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Finally, I completely agree with your last statement of lesser priced > big prices. It seems that Jeremy et. Al. finally figured out the crazy world of 'micro'-transactions when they trout-slapped us with shiny belts/cloaks etc. for three months haha. There are some benefits to being a premium-price model though, not the least being recession-resilient-ish.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Lessons are essentially bound credits, which cannot be traded.