Skip to content

Yet Another Sect Thread

edited May 2014 in General Discussion

About six months ago, I started a thread about the sect system and how it, quite frankly, sucks. And so, six months later, I'm happy to report that basically nothing has changed with sects, they still have almost all of the problems of Orders, and the system still sucks. Hooray!!

Wait no, that's not good. Crap. 

The biggest problem with this system is that you're tossing the dice when you pick an entity to bind to your sect. Primal rolled high and got Svorai, and so they have petting zoos and an entity that changes alongside the Temple they built her and all sorts of crap. Jackals, on the other hand, threw snake eyes and that's why we have 13 temple rooms and no entity to run the event to release it. Nyrohi's awesome and a ton of fun and she's great... when she's around. Sadly, though... she ain't around and there's nothing we can do about that. 

We can show up and we can emote things, but... that generates nothing lasting but the logs. It produces nothing that people can interact with or use and it is really sort of empty. It takes huge amounts of dedication and effort from the playerbase to breed interest in something like that because the benefits are so ephemeral; nothing from them lasts. Sure, we can RP feeding you to the jackals in an empty room, but it's so much more satisfying to actually have a jackal pit to interact with. It feels more like you're actually interacting with something and less like you're just faking it. In all my years of IRE games, I've rarely seen a God remain active and engaged in the game for more than, say, a month or so. In all my years of Imperian, I've seen... Svorai and Janus do it. The vast majority come and go, with an emphasis on the "go", and when they go their Order/Sect falls apart.

Your volunteer system sucks and does not work. We have over a decade of this system completely failing to work as evidence of the fact that it does not work. Any attempts you make to 'fix' sects without addressing this core problem will fail utterly because the volunteer system is an utter failure.  Now, don't get me wrong. The volunteers themselves are awesome and a great deal of fun and I've loved my interactions with most of them. I have no complaints against any of them. It is the system which is flawed.

The major flaw here seems to be that your volunteers get bored and quit, and that's a perfectly reasonable reaction. What do they really get to do? Interaction with the sect is dependent on the sect being online at the same time AND wanting to interact with them instead of bashing or PvPing or whatever else. So they get sect interaction and what else? Chatting with the Garden? Working on behind the scenes crap? Getting to run ToA events for free? It's not surprising that this system is a failure.  

These are some changes that I think might be beneficial:

• Neutral Entity Shells: With Conquest and some other sects/orders, one of the most common complaints is that there's nobody to fight and no real antagonist. Unaligned entity shells could provide these things. I think they'd make it easier because it wouldn't involve necessarily involve PvP and it wouldn't make one Sect lose to another.
  • Let volunteers play more than one role: This increases the options the volunteers have in RP and increases the chances that they'll get to do all that RP stuff they join to do. If you log on and your sect isn't around, you have other options.
  • Let Sects have multiple Entities: This goes somewhat along with the former. If entities are allowed multiple shells(or even if they are not), I'd rather see Sects gain additional entities, instead of creating a brand new one and dividing sects up even more. If Svorai or Xuli or Vyir wants to take up another role, let them attach to an existing sect somehow. Right now, Jackals have Nyrohi the Undying, a creepy awesome skeleton girl. So let us attach Xulohi the Dead, a creepy awesome ghost, as well, so that we'd have two complementary entities.  The volunteers would get a wider pool to interact with, the sects get made more stable, and the players would have more chances at interactions with the gods at the heart of their sects.

The problem with that, in the case of the Jackals, though, is that the entities who are doing their work get rewarded by being allowed to do more work while the no-call-no-show entities are rewarded by being given somebody to do their work for them, somebody who will inevitably be seen as something of a junior partner. There's, sadly, no way around this. I guess you could throw the no-shows out of the Garden, but that's a thing that wouldn't really help anybody, aside from the second entity becoming the only entity and thusly not being stuck in the role of junior partner.

I hesitate to even bring that up, because I don't want to get Nyrohi kicked out of the Garden; asking for that seems like a crappy way to repay somebody who was awesome to us, and I hope that whatever's come up that keeps Nyrohi away will someday be resolved and she'll be back... but asking Svorai or Vyir or Xuli to come in and play second fiddle because Nyrohi's inactive is a pretty crappy way to treat them, too, and they've done less to deserve it.
  • Give Sect Leaders more abilties: Let Sect Leaders burn belief on regular favours and the like. Let them build things for their temples that go through an approval process. Don't wall everything except emotes away behind the entities.

Fix this, please. This should definitely have a higher priority than what kind of vanity crap you're going to sell us next month.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

Comments

• IniarIniar Australia
    Hire a dungeon master. Pay them.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • It'll never happen, because Iron Realms doesn't pay anyone that doesn't code, basically.

And, realistically, while it'd be a stroke of brilliance to hire and underpay someone to be in charge of the narratives across Iron Realms, it would not solve the fact that the sect system is, predictably, just as much of a failure as the original Order system became. The saving grace is that, should you be willing to grind a lot (which is fine, MUDs should have some grindier aspects) you can at least get some neat abilities that admittedly serve a wide variety of purposes.

I earnestly agree with Khizan in that Entities need to be touch and go, and individuals should be able to pilot multiple shells. That's not a perfect solution, but given what we have to work with, I think it's the ideal one. It's also not a new concept, as, in times past, people in the garden have occupied multiple personas. It allows more people to get a bit of RP face time, and in reality, no one's asking for a lot. People just want to see that their grinding awards them some cut scenes from time to time.

‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I wouldn't want to pay somebody to run the narrative, honestly.

I mean, yes, it's a great idea if you find the perfect candidate who runs events that the playerbase enjoys and who is willing to do the job for what they'd be willing to pay them, but honestly? It sounds like a miserable position full of nothing but internet nerds shitting all over you every time you run an event that doesn't work out just the way they want it to turn out.

You know, that thing that happens with 90%+ of the events run in this game. "You ran this event and we were forced to participate!" "You ran this event and we didn't try to participate and we're mad that you didn't explicitly ask us to participate!" "You ran this event and it impacted my city and I didn't want it to be impacted!" "You ran this event and it didn't impact my city and I wanted it to be impacted!" "Things changed!" "Things didn't change!" "Ugh, a big event like this and no PvP, I'm not playing in a bashing event" "Ugh, a big event like this and it's too much PvP, I'm not even going to bother logging in."

There's an event! Magick loses! Things change, they suffer consquences! The magickers quit. "I was happy with my RP and then you had to ruin things and I don't want to deal with this crap now". There's an event! Magick loses! Status quo remains the same! The Iniars and such quit. "Ugh, why even bother when it doesn't change anything!"

There's no way to win. There's no happy ending for a meaningful event. That's why we don't have any.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    RP isn't just based around events.

The little interactions and mannerisms are what lend life to this simulated environment.

Have a member of staff manage a portfolio of NPCs spread across three circles, consistently playing them for brief stints daily over a period of time (say 20 mins per day for a month). Allow these characters to mature and perish, and allow them to have mini story arcs with interactions limited to small groups of players.

I don't want to interact with a scripted bunch of responses. I'd like to interact with someone with a small degree of influence over the environment.
  • It took us like, what, eight or nine to finally come to realize why the game had "Sundered Heavens" in the name?

Yeah, RP will cause controversy. Everything does. But in the end, RP is why we come to this game over other MMOs, and RP is when the world is the most active. During the days when the Gods were dying and the Demon Gods were around, it was the most active and fun Imperian has ever been, and while it caused a lot of emotional trauma and crying and whatever, it ended up being an extraordinary experience for everyone involved.

In the end, I think, everyone loves to feel like they're part of something, and helped do something awesome. As players with limited power, we can only do so much-- Wars tend to be the 'biggest' thing that can happen. Sects help, but as Khizan has mentioned before, can only do so much if you don't pick up a @Svorai on the way. A PvE/RP experience that the world can get behind is something that makes people feel awesome, and cause much less drama and issues along the way, I think.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited May 2014
    @Khizan

To be honest, you raise a lot of good points. You should thank Aleutia for stealing her material. I've got to ask you though. Are you really shocked? How long have you played this game? Like many of our promos, the sect system was just window dressing to be upfront and pretty much say "we treat our volunteers NOT WELL and we have a hideous turnover rate. To resolve this we're just going to quit pretending and let you know when your god has flaked out and/or quit, by the way you need to go bash." In essence, you killed the only story lines, regardless of how incoherent, to replace it with the exact same system sans story line. It could have been awesome. It should have been awesome. But it wasn't. Like everything else in Imperian in the last four years there has been absolutely zero follow through. 

That being said. You're kind of the head of "We will make you feel like crap until you quit." There's a little bit of self-fulfilling prophecy going on here. You also can't avoid the fact that Imperian does nothing to support or motivate their volunteers to be awesome. 

@Bathan
    Yes. We need paid writers. I'm not sure if it's Ivory Tower syndrome or what, but your story lines aren't interesting, daring, or even fun. To make it worse, they're all short term. Without some sort of ongoing storyline, Imperian is just a pk-sandbox with some furries piddling in the corner and trying to cover it up. Do something, please. Even if you have to pay them in fake internet money to play other games.

Imperian gets the shaft coding wise. We have 3 paid coders. There's Jeremy, who is not a 'coder' so much as a dude who tries. Then there's Garryn, but he seems to be cross-platform and tasked with doing all sorts of not-imperian voodoo to fuel the IRE business machine. Then there's that Jesse character. I hear he likes x-box. I don't know what happened to Eusto, Vashir or Bayron but they were the bomb, volunteer or not. I'm sure that there are 10 people in this game who are willing to be the plot guru and get paid a pittance. It doesn't have to be 30k/y. It doesn't even have to be 5k/y. You just have to pay them for the effort because it's clearly something that Imperian has sucked at since forever.

^^To soften the blow. Hey, you coded guards! *brofist* Yay! The game is more balanced than it has been ever.^^

If  paying for some sort of story line into a role playing game is too 'business plan like' for us, there's three times as many people willing to work for free. Let them. You know who knows Khandava better than you? The Khandavans. They wrote the story for the city and the guild why you were doing...something important. Let them re-describe the forest so that the 'atmosphere' is more fitting. You know their grammar is impeccable. If they're not Khandava, years of describing the same pair of panties and how the cup they butt cheeks has made them fiends of grammar and hopefully syntax. If they can make a pair of granny panties seem hot, then by god, they can give an orc more depth than "HA! HA! HA!"

The biggest example of what I like to call the 'poop show' (I can't swear and it's a play on peep show) is the nature of horde, undead, demonic.

Demons are bad, but they're also dead. Wait, crap. There's an entire organization that still is in touch with the demonic hotline and there's actually more of a demonic presence than ever. They even figured out some new demonic hotness. Undead are bad too. We all hate them. Wait, scratch that, some undead are ok, but most of them are not. They killed all the demons that aren't dead. That same organization that's not talking to the dead demons who don't exist is totes turning into undead as masters of necromancy. Never mind the fact all undead hate them and they hate all undead. Why? And then there's the horde. They're totally the "Worf" of Imperian. Whenever we need to establish a threat as 'scary', we have them kick the nuggets out of the orcs. Guess what. The horde is sort of a limper noodle than Sarrius and AM right now.

Quick list of things with no storyline follow through
    -Obelisks
    -Post-god-death fall out
    -Every sect ever
    -Christoff

Cherufe  : Volcano rock-like men. 
      Yeti     : Massive apish men.
      Minotaur : Large, powerful bullmen
      Dryad    : Petite, tree-nymphs
      Arel     : Radiant Seraph-like men.
      Wolkin   : Powerful ravenmen.
      Asuwan   : Vicious bat-like men.
      Selkie   : A seductive fae creature.
      Schelkin : Armoured crab-like men.
      Sangfel  : Sleek and stealthy feline-men.
      Fallen   : Corrupted Arel.
      Vyurdrag : Fire-breathing salamander-like men.

yeah, I totally just cp'd that :effort: Yeah, my laundry is done.

• edited May 2014
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ NARRATIVE OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited May 2014
    @Svorai

I wasn't dogging on the ents. I think they do a great job with what they're given and are allowde to do. :D
  • I certainly didn't mean to insinuate that we should have unrealistic expectations of our entities/volunteer support. I recognize that the volunteers have lives of their own to contend with, and no one should be blamed for having to put their personal life ahead of a text-based roleplaying game. However, I also take into account that if I take on work as a volunteer with any company, there are standards that I am expected to adhere to.

While three months of waiting game on a guildhall that was entirely written by myself and Aleutia before the fact is fairly absurd, I mentioned @Svorai's involvement in resolving this issue, as she was a positive facet of dealing with the administration for the duration of this.

We should see more coming out of the game as a whole, instead of the current quantity vs. quality approach dictated seemingly at random. We should see ideas being finished and stories implemented, rather than leaping from one thing to the next with little rhyme or reason. This is not wholly placed upon entities, as I realize that they are only working within the framework that they have been provided, although I do think (as stated earlier) that there is a certain standard that should be upheld.

The main problem with the sect system is that it in no way addressed the problems of the order system effectively. The only difference was slapping a new coat of paint on it and removing shrines as the proverbial middle-man. When an entity that was tenuously active at best decides not to log in anymore, the cult/sect's roleplay is effectively halted. We still have access to rituals, but we have no means through which to enact a storyline but player emotes. These have no backing.

Since the system was introduced, we have seen 2+ entities outright destroyed. This reduces their cult/sect to an empty structure, with no real power behind the sect leader, and also sets the roleplay of the sect to square one. In contrast to the old orders, this framework is not admin-defined, but player-defined, which serves only to salt the wound.

The responsibility of cult creation should not have been placed in the hands of the player-base without a more firm standard of both entity expectations and general standards. For every Leechwood, there are five remakes of an old order ideal. For every remake that is pushed through and created, you end up with five more cults based on mudsex and baking.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • I think the fact is that it's hard to find and retain good volunteers.  Most of what makes the game fun for players is unavailable to entities/gods/what not.  There's no equivalent of bashing, questing, or pk'ing for an immortal, or even just hanging out and talking with your friends to plan the next greatest raid of whatever poor town is on the radar this month.  In fact, what immortals spend most their time doing is coding (if you're a coder), building areas, resolving issues, and trying to come up with new ideas that people won't completely hate on all the time. Taking a look at it, it starts to sound like work. Unpaid work, at that.  It's not as if immortals get paid in "credits" because they cannot play their moral characters when in the Garden.

How many people play this game to get away from work or to unwind?  It becomes hard to stay interested as an immortal when you can't just sit down and spend time unwinding by talking to your friends.  Immortals have to give up their entire mortal cadre of friends when they sign up.  I think the real problem that we should be focusing on is how do we make the role more interesting/fun for the immortals?  If we had more things for them to enjoy, they would (hopefully) be able to stick around longer.  And let's face it, paying someone is not the solution.  We do pay producers for each game, but they can't be everywhere or come up with all the ideas.  In fact, that just makes being an immortal worse as you no longer have freedom to see your own ideas come to fruition.  

tl;dr: If you want more immortals then make it more fun to be an immortal.  Telling someone to "do it for the good of the game" isn't an incentive, it's (unpaid) work.
  • edited May 2014
    I can think of no better way to stress that the volunteer matters so much in this system than to explain that I am having far more fun with Storms than I ever did with Hunt.

Why?

Because my entity is actually around at least for a little bit every night. @Xuli is communicative, she prods me once or twice a week to get a feel for the kind of plans or ideas I have for the Sect of Storms, and I cannot recall a time where she wasn't willing to engage a new person in the organization. In contrast, my last experience was almost the complete opposite. There was little communication, no 'out to lunch sign' when she vanished, and the end of the line definitely was not pleasant. I don't want to turn this post in to another essay about why said volunteer was not the right choice for my sect, but I will take the opportunity to illustrate that a present entity makes all the difference. The tools to make a sect seem like an organization instead of a superclan are in THEIR toolbox, not the one that leaders possess. I honestly have no clue why these tools are exclusively in their hands, but it can't be allowed to remain that way if the entity has to go on vacation or quit or just stops logging in.

The things @Khizan, @Aleutia, and @Ahkan are suggesting/claiming are things that would help us move forward to having even an iota of that feeling all the time. The tools Khizan is asking for would at least allow for sects to have the illusion of activity while they don't have an entity present for whatever reason. I especially like the idea of neutral/NPC-antagonist cult shells, entities being allowed to take on multiple cults, and cults being allowed to take on multiple entities - mostly because they have their own possibilities in RP structure, but also because I feel like a lot of the people who sign up volunteer work for Imperian are doing so because they fancy the idea of being behind the scenes in the roleplay sector.

The constructive criticism provided in this thread is something you should review and seriously think about, @Jeremy, because I honestly believe that a sect floundering is heartbreaking not just for the founders and members, but also for people who want to take part in this system they are now stuck with. How do you think some players feel when they see solid concepts with good people behind them grind to a halt? It does not inspire confidence in a possible success in the Sects/Cults system, for sure.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited May 2014
    That's a nice, idealistic, and bleeding heart post. Unfortunately it is completely wrong and based on some sort of utopian concept of IRE? Dude, have you even played these games?

-You don't get paid. You don't even get fake internet money to spend on their other franchises.
    -You're subject to stupid rules of "YOU SHALL NOT TALK TO PEOPLE."
    -You get stupid workload.
    -You get zero guidance
    -You know all of this when you sign up.

Furthermore, no one, except maybe Khizan, is faulting the volunteers. Who I'm faulting is the people who run this game like a five year old turning their homework in late every 3 months. The reason why sects suck is that we were promised, by the administration (not the volunteers) that they would succeed where orders failed. The buy in for this system was "We are going to kill our entire mythology." We're knee deep in the sect system now and it's the EXACT SAME THING. Well, it's really not, because there is 0 mythology.

You know, it's definitely not the volunteers at all. It's not even the sect system. It's the empty promises of 'story line'. We're working on it. We're working on it. Never mind every new content dump we smoke bomb out has 0 story tied to it. The promised story line of Demonic, Undead, Horde is never manifesting. It's pretty clear that there is 0 impetus to even make a half attempt at a coherent story line. Time is better spent brewing up last minute promos with bad mechanics to gouge you out of an extra $40/month. It's not like an consistent story line would increase player recruitment, retention and get people involved at all. 
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited May 2014
    @Ahkan, yes we all fell for the 'ooh-exit-messages'. Then they did the same deal with 'ooh-flapping-wing-races'. I did not fall for that again. Something about fooling me once, but not fooling me twice. I don't care to have cool things in an empty world.
  • edited May 2014

I'd much rather have current Sects than old Orders; in both cases, players do what they would while their inactive god derps around, but at least the players get to pick the concept now.

The one big problem I see with Sects is that people are picking things like Flame, Jackals, Leechwood. Those aren't bad choices for a sect at all, but they're pretty entity dependent and RP/character driven. Things like War, Wrath, and Justice are much broader concepts and they're easier to carry without a god's help. As awesome as something like Jackals is, it's hard to describe to a new player what you actually do when you don't have a volunteer around to do anything, because it's built on the idea of looting old tombs and scavenging the power of the undead and such. Without a god, you're left going on emoting field trips(Note to self: Make Kanthari plan an emote field trip.).

Justice, on the other hand, is simple and easy and straightforward in comparison; you do not need an entity to move forward with the Justice concept. It helps, yes, but the concept of Justice is inherently one of action. Identify the unjust, hunt them, kill them. When raiders attack your townes, your revenge on them is ~justice!~. When Stavennites summon demons and endanger the world, your raids against them are ~justice!~. Wrath is similar; at its most fundamental, you can boil Wrath down to "get pissed, hurt people".  Death can be boiled down to 'kill people'. The 'SevenSix Suns' basically boiled down to "anti-magick zealotry" and thusly down to "burn the heretics".

These Orders were, arguably, the most successful Orders even without the presence of their God, and that is because their beliefs all boil down to some concept of action, some thing that you can do. And because of that, they are much easier to feel involved in. When I raid Anhir, I'm sending souls on to Thanatos, even if he is not active. When I kill the people who raided Anhir, I'm standing up for Justice. It doesn't matter if Vahin hasn't been active for a year, I'm still dispensing Justice. I'm still involved. The Sects are mostly lacking in this concept of action. They're more cerebral, more RP focused, and so they're much harder to feel involved in when you don't have a constant Godly presence. 

Amusingly, this is the exact same thing I complained about when new Gods picked crap like Consciousness and Waters, and it's the exact same thing I did when I went ahead with the idea for the Flame cult. So, mea culpa, I guess. My bad.

One thing I'd like to do to address this is slant some of the existing Sects more towards this idea of action. Make the Jackals more about power through sacrifice, 'feeding the jackals'. Some of my first memories of Achaea are of the old Sartanite sacrifices. Makta Ra! Makta Re! Makta Ru! I want to get stuff like that going. Things that are something that the players can do in and of themselves, things that are more than just sitting around emoting, things that make people feel like they're involved. 

• I'm a bit confused @Ahkan--your points about volunteers are what I was trying to say.  I've been involved with IRE games since before Imperian existed.  I've volunteered, and I'm not blaming the volunteers.  If you want the level of RP people seem to expect, however, you need more volunteers because it is a lot of work to spread around.  You simply need a lot of people coming up with (and more importantly--implementing) ideas to have a real narrative.  And if you want volunteers to stick around they need a reason to stick around.  Some do enjoy things the way they are, but you can tell from turnover that it burns most people out.  The empty promises that you criticize come because the person who came up with the idea burned out.  And that's weeks (if not more) of effort wasted.  And when someone new comes in, they have their own ideas and want to implement them, not someone else's.  It's very hard to maintain a coherent "story line" when the writing staff keeps turning over. 

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited May 2014
    You know what keeps people/writers coming back, even when people like us keeps shovelling excrement-smelling comments in their faces? Money. Because, face it, we're a massive bunch of whiners regardless of what happens. Might as well get paid to put up with our BS.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    It's weird like that. When my 6 year old whines, it's annoying and we tell him grown ups don't do that. When we whine, it's constructive criticism.
  • If you can't distinguish the difference between your 6 old whining and the points and suggestions made here then you should probably consider not having any more children.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Man I got issued recently and my opinion of Imperian players has ... plummeted.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Only difference with our whining is that we use more wordsto do so.
  • Hello everyone,

One thing I am starting to do (Just started today so don't go crazy on me) is looking through some of our 'hidden' history. For instance there are books, hidden lore, off-shot areas that were released with no real background/events post/announce post, etc. So I'm going to start delving into what I've noticed from this thread that has been brought up, or what I have noticed myself.

The following are ones I'm starting on now:
      - Feinhorn
      - Ryadai/Xiur war
      - Obelisks
      - Shards

I did see a note here about mob possessions and the Docent, so I'll touch on that real quick. 

The instance that was brought up with Kit. The background to this, and I believe we did our best to make this as clear as we can, Kit was -possessed- by the spirit of Capsica. We did what we could to make you know this isn't actually Kit talking or how she truly feels, but Capsica using her as a vessel. Each city/council had a mob possessed to help further the story along through another mob. When Kit was released she went back to her normal self, while also being exhausted from fighting the spirit within her. If you still have problems with it let me know, as we were not trying to ruin your council's rp, but get more information out to people of what was happening, since Capsica did not care who she hurt.

The Docent program fell through. A lot of people had a hard time getting into rp, for a few reasons. A lot of mortals try to be on the 'mob' side, but realize they would rather be the mortal interacting with the mob, so it's touch and go on how well things worked out. There might be possibilities down the road for it to reopen, but currently we are putting it on hold.

You can PM me here or in game, or e-mail me at Svorai@Imperian.com with any questions you may have, or comments on what I have stated. If you wish to use the forums, we can create a new thread, as this one is a bit defunct, and my post does not quite follow what the actual thread was intended to be.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    @svorai

The docent didn't make that clear. Kit showed up insulting people. There was no 'hint' that Kit was not Kit. It was an error on both sides.

The docent program fell through because I do not want to role play with squirrels all day. The kronk arghpee can only go so far. It's a good idea but it would take work to get off of the ground. You would need -good- role players who could remain neutral to coordinate to get any sort of noticeable roleplay going. An example would be if the docent rping was Khandavan but interacting with Ithaquans. She should be able to ask "Doo doo, what is the Ithaquan view of this rp item." This would allow her to give a reasonable ic response instead of making crap up us they go. Khandava, SURE! THEY LOVE BURNING TREES AND SLAVERY. *dubious*. I guess it could also help if angry docents couldn't kick out other docents in a fit of anger. What is this, a mortal guild?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited May 2014
    If you let me be batshit insane I will roleplay good, bad, evil, funny, charming, arrogant, wise, spiteful, stupid, blur, serious, flirtatious, naive or any flavour of NPC you want.