Skip to content

Mudlet map - download from Imperian server

Back on Aetolia, I use the build in mudlet mapper, with the map downloaded from the server. It works pretty well.

I tried the same here, and it tries to path to Antioch by going through a stockroom in Caanae.

What's going on here? Is it my mapper script buggering up or are the game maps out of date/inaccurate?

Comments

• The server map (http://www.imperian.com/maps/map.xml) is updated daily, and should be accurate. If you find any error on it, please file a bug report with specifics.
  • I'm gonna mini-necro this mini-thread here, as the question I have, I think, has something to do with the mudlet map that's downloaded from the Imperian server.

I've been noticing, when using the mudlet mapper room find functions, and walk-to functions, if you are in Caanae and going somewhere(pretty much anywhere), using GOTO <where ever>, it will instead send you to a shop in the southern part of Caanae thinking that there's a way through it. Is there a way to fix this?
  • This is the exact fault I have been getting.

Path find/path go though, gets it right, so it isn't a game map fault, unless the one downloaded is not an up-to-date map (which is the only logical explanation).

I really don't see how the mudlet script is getting it wrong.

If you want to try and debug it, inspect the room exits in the mapped room of that shop. I'm guessing the problem is there somewhere.

• Fyraine said:

This is the exact fault I have been getting.

Path find/path go though, gets it right, so it isn't a game map fault, unless the one downloaded is not an up-to-date map (which is the only logical explanation).

I really don't see how the mudlet script is getting it wrong.

If you want to try and debug it, inspect the room exits in the mapped room of that shop. I'm guessing the problem is there somewhere.

I don't think path find/path go uses the mudlet-mapper.xml to get there, it uses in game methods. Where I think the problem sits, is in the xml somewhere, it's telling us that the path through Caanae is through that shop(for some reason.). We're not the only two with this problem, I'm pretty sure everyone that uses the mudlet mapper functions is going to have this problem whenever they update their map via the server.
  • edited April 2014

It does. But in theory, the map data that mudlet downloads from the Imperian server, is the same map data that the in-game path-er uses.

Edit: to clarify, the xml is just the lua scripting that determines the path, manages the autowalking, manual creation of new rooms etc. This is distinct from the map data file downloaded from the Imperian server.

If the mistake was in the map data, you'd expect path find/path go to experience the same fault.

However, I can't find a fault in the mapper xml functions that would account for this. It is basically the same function that Aetolia uses and I've never seen an error like this over there. The obvious step in debugging this is to examine the map data and make sure that the assumption that it is correct, is not false.

• The map.xml hosted on the Imperian website is updated once every 24-hours, and should be up to date at that time. With very few exceptions, all mapped areas should appear in the generated xml file, and it should match the in-game map. If that is not the case, please file a bug report with as much detail as you can.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • You can always close the exit to that room manually with the mapper.
  • I'm having a fairly simple issue with my map, but it's really bothering me. When I move, the map stays in one place, and just the little red indicator moves, as opposed to the red dot being centered and stationary while the map moves around it. Help, please.
  • Anyone know how to add a special exit that can be done from any room? Wanting to add in powercall, but not quite sure what to do.

Also, is there a slow walking mode?
  • You can set CustomWalkDelay and also some options in mconfig.
    On your own for a universal powercall exit though.
  • I'm surprised other people only seem to have very minor issues.  I must be doing something wrong.  Llus and Byley, for example, just look like a trainwreck.  I'm also constantly asked to download the games map... Not sure if that's my mapper or what.  Many areas (even old ones) aren't mapped at all.  
  • Jules said:
    I'm surprised other people only seem to have very minor issues.  I must be doing something wrong.  Llus and Byley, for example, just look like a trainwreck.  I'm also constantly asked to download the games map... Not sure if that's my mapper or what.  Many areas (even old ones) aren't mapped at all.  
    I have some other issues as well. For example, cities can start to look insane in the map display, I have no idea if there's a special wormhole thing or if it's just a special exit (mapping mode didn't seem to help), a lot of areas have slightly wrong names or things like both levels of the Caanae sewers stuck under the same area in the map (which is awful when you're a squishy mcsquishsquish). I also had to fix how it decides when you can dash.

It's still pretty nice, and not having to deal with the nonsensical path find delay alone is worth it.
  • For anyone who has access to dash and uses the Mudlet mapper -

Go into the speedwalking script (or use the search functionality) and look for mmp.fixPath. Hunt for the snippet that says

if repCount > 1

Swap the 1 to a 0, and try dashing again! Enjoy Sonic mode.

Note - There's probably a prettier fix, but this one is easy :3
  • I'd do this all day if Stone Rings weren't so incredibly expensive or if we had a way to relax density. In Aetolia on my noncom with no reason to keep up density, a way to relax it at will, and the waterwalking enchantment that I miss so much, I can just dash wherever and put it back up. I think I've hit over 10 moves a second with just the change you mention to the IRE mapper, although I'm sure an hour of effort could speed it up even more.
  • edited January 2015
    Dicene said:
    I'd do this all day if Stone Rings weren't so incredibly expensive or if we had a way to relax density. In Aetolia on my noncom with no reason to keep up density, a way to relax it at will, and the waterwalking enchantment that I miss so much, I can just dash wherever and put it back up. I think I've hit over 10 moves a second with just the change you mention to the IRE mapper, although I'm sure an hour of effort could speed it up even more.
    For Assassin and Renegade, you can FLAY ME MASS if you have selfharm on.

Edit: Not that I'd mind a way to relax it more efficiently :(
  • There are a few other classes that can do it as well, but it's kind of a pain. Mage can Scorch, I think. Druid can EVOKE EMPOWER DRAG\QUARTERSTAFF STAB ME.
  • edited January 2015
    Regarding my earlier request to add temporary exits: the code has a basic format for it in the speedwalking script. You can plop this in to whatever sort of command you want, as long as you have the mudlet mapper.

[code]
    local room = --room number the special travel method takes you to
    local command = --the command it uses
    local goto = --the room number of the place you want to goto. Can be the same as the room.

--Add the special exit
    addSpecialExit(mmp.currentroom,room,command)

--Reset the pathing
    mmp.clearpathcache()

--Path
    expandAlias("goto "..goto)

--Remove the special from the room you're in currently
    mmp.clearspecials(room)
    [/code]

You will have to use a trigger on the movement message with the code as

mmp.customwalkdelay(--time in seconds--)

for any of the steps require a pause for channeling or travel time (powercall, atlas travel, .

Note - If you try to go to an area, you need to have a matching special exit or link on both ends, or it won't recognize the border. The above works fine for any goto vnum command.

This code is given without warranty, guarantee, or manatee.