Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Actually, could we just get an "Arena" channel so we don't have to listen to the true favour dick waving brigade?

It'd be awesome to lock them in a channel all their own so they can solicit for the arena without spamming the market with that nonsense.

Also, can that channel be turned off? Would be amazing.
  • So it takes even less people to vote for freezetag, deathball, and king of the hill? :(
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Sarrius said:
    So it takes even less people to vote for freezetag, deathball, and king of the hill? :(
    Truth be told, it would probably be an even more solid method to get what you want.  You wouldn't be on market having every random idiot (i.e. me) queueing for freezetag because they are super bitter.  You could probably pull enough folks by just asking in Bellatores or King of the Spring now that Iriaen is back.  

• SLASH (DUDE) (TOXIN)

Instead of

ENVENOM SABRE WITH (TOXIN)
    SLASH (DUDE)

Please? Pretty please? I know it's very niche, but it saves time.

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    for throwing things too
  • It seems like some abilities, like quench skin and focus cadmus, aren't in garrynbot, I think that should change.
    Drill baby drill because luck is a skill.
  • Quench skin and heat blood are used by autocuring if and only if the primary cure cannot be used for any reason.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Iriaen said:
    It seems like some abilities, like quench skin and focus cadmus, aren't in garrynbot, I think that should change.
    I have no problem with all generic heals being used automatically, but class based healing is often situational and discretionary. 
  • That's an awful way to run it, though.

It's especially awful because your choices are that you can use your abilities in an awful terrible no good very bad way, or you can write an all up healing system to avoid burning salve balance on a dot that does practically no damage whatsoever. In the case of heat blood, you also can't let autocuring track defenses because caloric is a defense.

It's awful because the Garryn-bot is not just a Newb's First Healer that players are expected to graduate from; it is a full-up all-in healing system that the vast majority of your playerbase will use for the entirety of their time in Imperian, and it shouldn't reduce the effectiveness of skills for arbitrary reasons.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I noticed that the reasons for favour/disfavour were added to messages and I was hoping we could get the same for trade skill approvals and rejections. It would make things more convenient so I don't have to log in to check the status of my design.
  • You know, along that same topic. Could entities customize the look of their favours?

Ahkan is covered in glitter and reeking of delicious handmade confections, a sign that he has been favoured by Demonic David Bowie (<-- Kanthari).

-something about fire and Samaos
    -something something overdone thunder
    -something ready to pick a fight conquest
  • Verexa said:
    I noticed that the reasons for favour/disfavour were added to messages and I was hoping we could get the same for trade skill approvals and rejections. It would make things more convenient so I don't have to log in to check the status of my design.
    The average rejection reasons is quite a bit longer than the average favour reason, and often has no context without checking the design, so I don't think we'll be adding the full reason to these messages. I will, however, change the reporting to include the TYPE of change when a change is logged. Is that suitable?
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2014
    ********************************[ Top Guilds ]*********************************
    Guild Name     Total    XP       Combat   Explore  Member   Novice   Health   
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avengers       188      76       28       21       63       0        1000
    Idras          222      82       38       29       69       4        1000
    Wardancers     254      86       53       34       81       0        1000
    Dunestriders   182      84       31       35       32       0        679
    Crusaders      211      82       34       31       64       0        826
    Wardens        214      86       53       38       37       0        975
    Sentinels      153      77       23       29       24       0        989

Animists       190      82       36       35       37       0        997
    Hunters        167      77       36       35       19       0        960
    Silvari        154      75       23       25       31       0        801
    Bards          208      73       21       24       86       4        1000
    Spectres       204      83       45       31       45       0        1000
    Vindicators    204      78       34       26       66       0        1000
    Stormweavers   186      84       42       36       24       0        999

Saboteurs      166      79       42       28       16       1        588
    Revenants      176      78       42       29       27       0        1000
    Tzolkin        173      79       39       29       25       1        1000
    Noctusari      190      79       46       29       36       0        995
    *******************************************************************************

Member scores:-
    Antimagick: 370
    Magick: 308
    Demonic: 104
    :(
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited March 2014
    After years of driving out mudsexers, the population and  birthrate of Demonic has gone stagnant.
  • Alright, guys. I've pushed out the change to design notification messages, as well as given you cityfolks a couple of new toys to play with.

I'll be pretty busy with my day job for the next week, so I won't be releasing any changes for at least that long, but you should all keep making suggestions!
  • Not that it's an epidemic or anything, but Cerise really should not be able to facilitate cross-circle inductions - e.g. a Celidonian joining the Dunestriders.
  • Are you upset they joined the guild or got the prof? Either way, it's not really a huge deal. Just kick them out and tell them "bad <x> don't join our circle."
  • It's happening with newbies, not people who know better.
  • I've idea'd it before. But for novices, Cerise should induct into both Guild and aligned city/council. If experienced players want to be in Guild/Cities that don't match, they can take the time to get inducted themselves.
  • edited March 2014
    As a newb who recently poked around with the character creation, I think that issue is a bit deeper than just a fix to the induction mob. The starting guildsystem here is a bit confusing and it took me rerolling several times until I ended up with the right guild/class combo - my pal said I should try out Tzolkin but it looks like your class determines where you go (despite each guild having several classes), so I kept making newbies until I ended up there. I'm a defiler, now, and am not really liking the profession but I'll play with it a bit more before giving up. Apparently my buddy just used Cerise after reading help files about the different guilds and joined as a Druid (which he dropped in favor of the rogue class). 

Anyways, the intro felt kinda convoluted to me, since class identity doesn't seem as tied to guilds as other games like Lusternia or Aetolia have it, so (in my opinion) being able to use the induction mob as a stop-gap to cover that wonkiness is better than just flat out denying new players a chance to go where they want. That said, I think the entire process is not very intuitive and could benefit from a clearer illustration of what classes go where (you can't even read the entire overview of each class in the creation screen, it hits pagelength and won't let you scroll) or if you could pick your guild first and then select a class from the ones associated with it. At the least, more info about the classes would be helpful as the HELPs for each of them focus on the skills which doesn't mean much if you're new to the game - which is cool, don't get me wrong, but a blurb at the start saying something like "Yo, defilers are warped druids with shadowmagic who lead around tormented treants" or whatever, that'd be pretty helpful. The lack of conceptual info about the classes means that the guild write-ups become what some of us read when determining what to "be" but then we can't actually control that when we go through the intro.

I think I rambled a bit, sorry. >_<
  • I understand that the intro has some problems. I haven't gone through it since the changes but have seen situations where people are getting dumped into one of two (or three) guilds that have that profession seemingly at random. However, Cerise still shouldn't facilitate cross-circle inductions. If someone would rather join the Wardancers than the Wardens that's one thing, but the induction mob shouldn't be circumventing other mechanics (guild restrict/allow) that prevent newbies from cross-circling.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited March 2014
    Leikara said:
    All the things
    Defiler is a really awkward profession to start out playing Imperian with. I don't think the bashing is all that stellar. Sure, you're tanky, but you're slower than is necessary. You end up taking far more hits than you can really tank, which lets other classes have better clear times. Once you wade into pk it's sort of a shitstorm of "how many mechanics do I have to learn." Defiler is a clustermash of half completed, equally bad mechanics. Do you want a root or a splintered seed? Do I want to push for a whole seed? What attacks cause entropy and how much entropy do I need to be awesome? How do I keep track of entropy? (magic, only way). All of these desecration skills, what should I use, when? It's pretty crazy, but it's also why I like it, from my old player perspective.

So quick advice.
    -PK get the fastest flail you can. More ravages, more entropy, more shenanigans.
    -You really cannot go wrong with ravage/shred as a fail-safe.
    -Always roll with recuperation, regrowth, antibodies, confutation, waterwalk, fleetness, toughness, grip, blooddrinker
    -Highlight anything to do with thornroots/seed/splinters (1st person give, 3rd person give, them fading, etc. Get used to tracking this in your dome
    -Highlight someone in demonic calling hp/mana over ring. This helps determine what attacks you want to use.
    -Make a shadowbind project %1 alias. This is awesome for those times when you need to run away from the zerg
    -Join a sect. Learn to benevolence favour. This will give you +1 to all stats and hulk you up a little while you aspect
    -Strong/Athletic/Dextereous are all good bashing statpacks for defiler. If you want +1 balance, Athletic > Dexterous with 0 evasion. If you're trans evasion dexterous > athletic.
    -For bashing, I go with higher damage flails :(

If you have any questions, bug me in-game and I'll try and help you muddle through the ???? that is defiler.

Edit: Oh, you're in powerful statpack. Yeah, in Imperian our game isn't really designed to be at all sympathetic to 'tanks'. Imperian does not cater to 'tank builds' in any real way, shape, or form. Our skills aren't balanced that way and we have a cadre of nnnggghhh that will have a seizure if someone mentions the 'overkill' ability from Aetolia (which is what lets you tank-nuke things). 
  • For the newbie zones powerful was great! I was one-shotting everything which was faster than 2 quicker-speed balance hits. There was logic behind the choice!...but then I forgot to try out other stuff and hit level 30 and was like oops. :/

Thank you for the advice. I'm happy to stay with the class and feel things out a bit more. It's got a cool sort of aesthetic to it.
  • edited March 2014
    Impose a hard limit on the amount of time an Aspect can hold a monolith at one time, regardless of activity. Something reasonable would be a real-life week, though I'm totally okay with half that. There are people who very rarely venture out into the world who are holding monoliths for what seems like an eternity, and I don't think this proposed limit is an awful thing even if these people are a relative minority. Monoliths should be a thing that are almost constantly in flux, across the board. If you want to hold one or more forever, buy permanent ones.

• IniarIniar Australia
    We're hunting Therian, Caelya. Don't spoilt it. Khizan wants that trophy :D
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Can being Graced also mean NPCs can not strike me, since I can't strike them? :/
    (Only if we keep voting!)
  • WTB artifact halberd, help a brother out. :(
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Drinking poisons should afflict you with whatever the poison is
  • Tahirah said:
    Drinking poisons should afflict you with whatever the poison is
    It used to, or at least I recall it doing so.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Sarrius said:
    Tahirah said:
    Drinking poisons should afflict you with whatever the poison is
    It used to, or at least I recall it doing so.
    H:99% M:100% < pp eb> XP:7.91 Time: Early morning drink iodine
    You gulp down the toxin iodine, wetting your palate.
    H:99% M:100% < pp eb> XP:7.91 Time: Early morning