Skip to content

I HEART

Comments

• I'd like to heart @Svorai for all the fun this weekend!
  • edited February 2014
    Yeah, it turned into Magick being outmanned and outgunned in a hurry. (Not that that isn't to be expected these days.)
  • Cassius said:
    Yeah, it turned into Magick being outmanned and outgunned in a hurry. (Not that that isn't to be expected these days.)

I don't think it's really an issue of being outnumbered or outartifact'd or anything. Magick just kind of really sucks at fighting because most of the active combat leaders are all busy with real life, and the new ones just don't have the experience that the others did. Thus, poor leadership = poor strategies and target calling = losing even if you have superior numbers.

Magick profession have a lot of really cool synergy and OPness if used right, but they're just not being used well right now.
  • Cassius said:
    That doesn't account for the first 3 rounds where you outnumbered us and we won.
  • Actually we won the first round if I recall. And even at that time we were quite out-artifacted. Other than Mathias and Kyar (who is not really prepared for PK), none of us really have a significant amount, if any, artifacts and some not even aspect. We still put up a good fight for awhile and managed to recapture the nodes and a purple of occasions which I was happy with given our group and semi-combatants. We had to pull the plug as more artifact people kept pouring in and we were outnumbered.

Magick also really has a disadvantage in terms of ranged attack capability in comparison to either other circle. This makes me sad.

I was just happy to be able to pull some people together and Magick do something for a change.

And @gurn, show up and do something or keep your mouth shut. At least there are people willing to put forth effort where you won't. No need to discourage them.
  • Blame it on the batphone.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Or the bat signal! Light up the bat signal!
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Cassius said:
    Actually we won the first round if I recall. And even at that time we were quite out-artifacted. Other than Mathias and Kyar (who is not really prepared for PK), none of us really have a significant amount, if any, artifacts and some not even aspect. We still put up a good fight for awhile and managed to recapture the nodes and a purple of occasions which I was happy with given our group and semi-combatants. We had to pull the plug as more artifact people kept pouring in and we were outnumbered. Magick also really has a disadvantage in terms of ranged attack capability in comparison to either other circle. This makes me sad. I was just happy to be able to pull some people together and Magick do something for a change. And @gurn, show up and do something or keep your mouth shut. At least there are people willing to put forth effort where you won't. No need to discourage them.

Someone's mad! Oh dear, I'd better log in immediately and rally magick to glory and victory!

Wait.

Waaaaait.

I still don't care, and magick still sucks.

I'm not saying that me or Risca or Ziat or whoever can hop in and win right away, but come on, anything's got to be better than this mess I constantly watch on deathsight and listen in on Coalition.

If you truly believe that magick has a disadvantage in any way by way of skills, you are seriously deluding yourself.
  • edited February 2014
    Hey, I didn't mean to knock anyone's effort. It was fun for us, I hope it was fun for you guys.

We definitely started outmanned (Iluv, me, I think Aglaeca made it in? We had another two stuck off-island) against six. We managed to pick off two to thin the ranks, but you're right - we lost the first engagement in that only Iluv made it out alive. After that our coordination stepped up a bit - though I spent an awful lot of time empressing people into my room, without soulchains or allies.

"Guys I got one! Wait had. Nevermind. Also not in the area anymore... actually, where is everyone?"

I don't think the disrepency in numbers or artifacts was THAT stark, though. Ahkan showed up eventually (while at the airport, without his system) because he's scary no matter what, and Iroth towards the end as well. I think if you guys had a bit more coordination and synergy in your planned attacks/routes, versus so many people trying to pull off instantkills, the fights could have gone a lot differently. At it stands, Danaeus/Eerion basically mean you're not going to pull off in-room channeled kills so long as one summoner notices and is on unleash balance.

• Maybe magick needs to sit around talking about pvp for hours on end and learning their opponents abilities and read the Art of War, or whatever it is good pvp'rs do these days.

• edited February 2014
    The big thing is that magick doesn't have any 'Named Men', so to speak. They have people who are willing to fight, but they don't have anybody capable of directing them in combat.

Almost everybody in magick is an unskilled chucklehead when it comes to combat, and everybody knows this. So nobody really has the kind of authority that makes the zerglings coordinate. Without coordination, they lose fights. Without winning fights, nobody develops the authority to really lead them in combat. Without leaders in combat, nobody coordinates. And when you give a mouse a cookie, it will want a glass of milk.

Magick does need to sit down, talk seriously about combat for a bit, and develop a set of priorities and tactics. But nobody has the authority to make anybody else listen. Because of this they basically they suck until a cerebrate decides to go Magick, do well until they drive the cerebrate away, and then go back to sucking. Such is life.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• And this specifically pertains to the magick circle?  Or is it currently prominent because the Pvp migration has moved away from it?  

• Magick is the circle I would go to for the strongest group pvp mechanics currently available, because their classes have the strongest team synergy.

That said, they'll figure it out at some point. This game is cyclic and no one keeps an advantage forever.
  • I'm not a great combatant and never will be. I don't have the time/interest to really push it to the next level. That being said we did have a good time. We were there for some action and got it. And like I said, I was happy just being able to get Magick moving in some direction together, whether we won or not.

I don't really have time for armchair quarterbacks taking shots from the bleachers. If you don't want to be part of the solution, that's fine, just don't be part of the problem. We all know we aren't superstars and are fine with that, we're here to play a game same as everyone else, and we'll play it to the best of our ability.

While no one may agree with me, I do think Magick has a disadvantage when it comes to ranged attack abilities as well as not having a banish-like ability which is prominent in both other circles.

And I know this has been talked about but multiple summoners really hurt!
  • edited February 2014
    You have a 'banishment'. You have something almost as good as Danaeus. Look in Evocation. Edit: assuming you coordinate and strip mass..
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Evocation throw? I've only seen that remove someone for 2-3s unless they are doing it wrong.
  • Get more Druids. Teach your druids how to use their skills. Ferriter is the secretary of a Druid guild and I have seen him use a wisp/empower/stab/root combo precisely zero times ever. I have seen him use roots precisely zero times ever.

Look over fights where you lose. Determine what made you lose. Work on those areas. 

Juran and I can spend hours on this shit, but it doesn't take hours. If you take 10 minutes after each fight to just talk over it with people and address problems and rethink your priorities and work on basic skills with your people, you will see an improvement.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited February 2014
    Hands down, I think magick is a powerhouse of ruin. The bar is higher than am skill, but the class synergy is down right stupid. The skills are there. For me, the environment is crap. Look at Gurn's holier than thou rant. Then remember thug life ressnik and shayleis melt downs. Stack on magick can't agree what research path to follow (Celidon v. Kins) and ask the pissy drama, it's intolerable.

It's one thing to lose. It's another to lose an hating your side while losing . See:reign of menoch. Or for cass, reign of gurn .

I also helps that how magic handled the war and demonic rallying led to 60%pk population in demonic. That'll change with time and classleads
  • Uh, Ahkan? Might want to look at a couple things before you start throwing shit around. Reign of Gurn? I haven't been an active shardfall leader since, well, shardfalls began.

The synergy I refer to is when I led for raid repels, which worked pretty well. Dunno what you've got against me, Ahkan, but believe it or not, I'm not responsible for everything.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I just stopped leading groups cause:

1. Few people don't code for ONE target caller, or don't have a toggle to be silent and not call targets while the leader does.

2. I've always been a good soldier, not a leader. Cassius and I are probably the only two in magick -at the moment- who call out instants, barriers, etc. on a regular basis. We're good battle aids. Neither of us excel, we're just proficient.

3.I'm naive when it comes to most class strategies. I only comprehend how a handful of classes actually achieve kills, and just know stop instants (and timewarp since I got the line for it finally) and a few other skills.

I'm very funneled in this cause I only have ever played one class thoroughly. I'm only aware that hunter/bard would dominate with brainmelt, or rg/bard would set up a lock nicely. I know my damage burst is pretty solid so damage low health when I can.

I always think of combat, but only for my own system. More than once I've wanted to have a person sit there and heal while me and another person would practice on them, but the biggest thing I always here from about half of our fighters is, "I can't code that well" or "Don't have the time."

It's just how it goes. Still have fun either way, just cause I love impy combat.
  • ---- PROPOSED CHANGES ---------------------------------------------------------
    Proposed appearance: a mildewed kiwi treant
    Proposed dropped   : A mildewed kiwi treant reaches agonizingly towards nothing with the jagged branches of its fingers.
    Proposed examined  : Once a verdant kiwi tree, this treant has been warped by demonic powers into an avatar of a
    suffering nature. The sickly sweet juices of its fruit drip down the bark of its face, its countenance one of perpetual
    torment. Many green leaves arc back like long hair and the branches of its fingers are jagged, extending in a cruel
    grasp towards anything living that gets too close. A halo of fruit flies buzzes around the head of this twisted tree.
    Proposed enter      : An unbelievable stench drifts in from the $dir, heralding the arrival of a rotting kiwi treant.
    Proposed leave      : Abandoning its harvest in its wake, a mildewed treant leaves to the $dir.
    Proposed death      : The broken and rotted remains of a mildewed kiwi treant lie in a heap upon the ground.
  • edited February 2014
    Cassius said:
    I'm not a great combatant and never will be. I don't have the time/interest to really push it to the next level. That being said we did have a good time. We were there for some action and got it. And like I said, I was happy just being able to get Magick moving in some direction together, whether we won or not.
    Having fun is what it's all about.

For what it's worth, have your group leader rap a disruptor (or be liberal with monos). And if enough members of the group have hood tats (they aren't even -that- important anymore, since pinch changes), you've effectively negated demonic's ranged advantage. And per demonic "banishment", all you need is someone with situational awareness and a tentacle tattoo to drag the target back down to earth, or better yet the target can often leave the room, land and come back in with very little lost time. We aren't talking about coding prowess or carving out time for lengthy discussions on combat thesis here. Just about a little pre-game plan and some encouragement for those with less experience. For every seasoned veteran on our side we have two or three "named men" of the Ladyboy and Speedbump variety, who are awfully successful following some pretty basic tenets (and remembering to have fun).
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."

There will be blood fruit juice.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Eldreth's version of encouragement is wow'ing you with his one-handed warps followed by that awesome bleeding-ears truename, taking down evil anti-magickers one by one. I miss that. :D
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    I will destroy that treant
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited February 2014
    Also, @Mathiaus:

^The visage snaps its fingers and (\w+), .*, is suddenly flung high into the air, surrounded by an icy storm blocking (his|her) descent\. or
    ^The visage snaps its fingers and (\w+) is suddenly flung high into the air, surrounded by an icy storm blocking (?:his|her) descent\.

send("rt Tentacle "..matches[2].." now!")
    send("rt Tentacle "..matches[2].." now!")

Also, fight indoors/get Cassius to lagul. AM's worked that one out, we rarely fight them outdoors if they have a choice.

One last thing from an opinionated bad :D I don't like automatically calling my target as I assign it and I don't think anyone should -ever-, the only times I call target is manually, repeatedly and in short form ( i.e Azefel-style of "rt math", hit enter x 50, or i.e. "rt bri" x 50 ) ie. get all your chumps to delete their send("rt Target: "..target) alias/trigger, because that stuff is silly.
  • Iniar said:
    Also, fight indoors/get Cassius to lagul. AM's worked that one out, we rarely fight them outdoors if they have a choice.

I guess I never thought about it further than 'oh, look another banish skill' and figured the same rules applied.