Skip to content

Quotes

Comments

• That's weird. When you were winning 90% of them by virtue of having more zombie zerg than anyone else you thought they were awesome. Enter "War", "Loss", "Aryana nerf" and a redistribution of powa'. /cryface

Shard falls are still one of the stronger points Imperian has going for it. Far more interesting than the war system or city raiding.
  • No, I have always thought they were shit. Large scale team combat is boring spam.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Sarrius said:
    It was pretty neat, but it killed my incentive to want to do shardfalls anymore. From what I heard, some others feel the same way.
    Shardfalls are broken and boring, but easily interrupted channel actions are the least on the list of why, of they even made the list
    What is broken and boring about Shardfalls? It is the best conflict mechanism this game has had forever.
  • Sarrius said:
    No, I have always thought they were shit. Large scale team combat is boring spam.
    Smaller team shardfalls are more fun than very large, but that has very little to do with the mechanics of Shardfalls. In fact, with Shardfalls you are more likely to find small scale fights than large unlike Obelisks/Monolith.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    That's really weird,  team combat (large and small) is the only place I've ever seen you @Sarrius. Behavior and words don't agree. Suspicious.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    It's boring to you because numerical superiority and damage kills are boring as shit, not because shardfall as a mechanic is shit.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    @Iluv - Pointless bringing up past events/skills that no longer exist.

@Khizan - You know as well as I do people with the ability of powerful range attacks in magick are not combat capable to stop the channeled attack.
  • edited January 2014
    I'll admit it was a cheap shop but the idea of bumping against something new and immediately choosing to not participate instead of easily figuring out how to counter it was so ridiculous that I took it.

As for your response to Khizan.. all of those people who died from the Meteor were in the same room (quite obviously as you can see by the log). What does powerful range attacks have to do with anything?
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited February 2014
    Mathiaus, you're discussing the wrong thing so it ends up being you crying because you lost. You lost because you have 0 awareness.

Honestly, I don't like meteor. The game didn't/doesn't need it. That's never stopped the design process or the classlead system (burn). But hey, we're stuck with it. Meteor was sparsely used back in the day because it used 100% of your faith. Luckily, because of the death changes, meteor is the gift that keeps on giving. We're all guilty of bringing too many midbies/lowbies to pk, especially AM. Meteor refreshes it's own belief used. It's also indiscriminate, because I'll end up killing my team and your team. This, to me, makes it seem sort of imbalanced and it needs to be addressed.

Otherwise, the only thing I'd add is an in room message in red. HOLY GOD, A METEOR IS HEADED STRAIGHT FOR THIS LOCATION, which should have been addressed when the skill was created so it's not a surprise 400 damage nuke.

Shard falls are awesome. Poor losers need to stop blaming the system and look in the mirror. Sure it sucks to lose. Sure you're allowed to bitch within the 5-15m loss window. qq soulspears. qq aryana. Blaming the system and saying "the best thing to happen to this game" sucks? Christ, stop posting. You're wrong.

Thanks to Valdus in Aetolia for coming up with the whole idea. He rocks.
  • edited February 2014
    Mathiaus said:
    @Khizan - You know as well as I do people with the ability of powerful range attacks in magick are not combat capable to stop the channeled attack.

"My team is too bad to stop it" is not a valid balance argument. If it were, Magick would have the rest of us down to rocks and clubs by now.

That aside, meteor needs a message sort of like Deliverance has. "Iluv is here summoning a giant freaking meteor, you should totally try and stop this crap."

That wouldn't solve your problem, of course. Judging by your Kai Deliverance behaviors you'd all ignore the message and die horribly anyways. It would solve the actual balance problem, though.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

@Khizan a group of 4 of us actually heeded a deliverance warning and didn't attack, which surprised the hell outta me as well. Again, people taking single events and assuming they coincide with every tactical preference mentioned.

@Iluv its a neat trick, like I said. I whined, sure, most of us do. Got over it quickly enough.

@Ahkan rebuilding my system from scratch has been fun. Must be nice when other people hand you theirs.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited February 2014
    That was pretty weak, dude. You should stick to crying about meteor.

I've built a stupid amount of systems for this silly game across multiple classes. It's a huge time investment to go from 0 to fully stocked. Coding isn't my thing and I really don't enjoy it all that much. After a certain point in time, I grow to despise it. The #1 reason I grabbed Azefel's system was how it handled aff tracking using BOTH affliction names and toxin names in 1 function and 1 database. I had to do it in 2 databases that I'd have to manually adjust because I'm dumb. Multi-classing is hard to code for. When you learn to pk as anything but bard, you'll realize this too. Everything after the affliction tracking system is icing on the cake (combat subs, mapping, separator walking, auto-harvest). All the important stuff, offenses, toxin queues, combos, and even a lot of healing priority are mineOh, oh...good story. Every time I killed you 1v1 and teams before late 2013 was with my self coded system, as shitty as it was. Remember that time you looped maidenhair and crashed yourself and I disemboweled you? I do. 

While we're on this topic, despite what you may think, Azefel's system doesn't carry you in combat. I've seen the clan list for that ownership clan and there really isn't anyone breaking into higher tier that doesn't deserve it. It's not a magic cure all, much like your system hasn't resolved any of your issues in combat (See: Combat awareness). Same with Iluv's system. Same with anyone else's system. Gotta make a lot of non-f2 decisions like "is derpface x spamming instas (like kantae)" switch, disable, switch back.

Most of being good or influential in combat are intangible things like making good calls in 2s, predicting what the other dude will do. Most of you 'system nazis'  are just spam bots pushing the same set of afflictions until it finally works or you die trying.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Yes my favorite part of making a system is that any class/circle can load it up and interface with one database and interact with other players appropriately ie. reporting by circle affiliation etc. etc.
    edited February 2014
    I'm sure many of you have had a crazy glitch in your system loop insanely once or twice. We've laughed about most of them.

So what if I stick to one class. It's like someone learning multiple languages. Sure, you may have a wide variety of ways to speak, but you spend less time mastering one or two fully. Pros and cons both ways. Are either wrong? Course not. It's just a preference.

As Baasche has mentioned long ago, the cost to change statpacks blows. It is why I've decided to stay bard and not utilize runeguard anymore.

I can easily think of a few reasons why I personally choose to instant kill in team at the moment:

1. Certain people in our groups spam wrong targets, and some will switch to the new target when they shouldn't, making damage upkeep difficult on all of us

2. Only a few people in magick code well anymore and have reflexes set to stop instant kills or upkeep on combat awareness.

3. I'm still missing a larger portion of my old system, especially things like smart parrying, instant kills, and watching walls/escapes/defending/etc. Slowly collecting it all again.

Ultimately, I can't really fault a handful of our fighters for not coding well, since they're still learning or struggling, but it's just a fact that the majority of better fighters reside in demonic or AM now.

As frustrated as I get sometimes about it, still love the combat of this game, and thoroughly enjoy coding extensively day after day.

And I suppose I have to admit too that I enjoy reading everyone's positive/negative feedback on my posts and everyone elses posts on the forums. It's like a daily drama app without the download. Makes the day less monotonous.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I multiclassed solely to code for other people in Demonic earlier last year when D had two 'combatants' ( Lionas, Ahkan, Iluv, myself (-1) ) (ugh I hate that term) because someone dsl'ing strychnine/strychnine is so much less effective than someone dsl'ing useful toxins, especially for Demonic. I gave out my system to maybe 6 people with some interest in combat but no coding skills.

After I started coding a multiclass system, there was no going back. If you truly enjoy coding, you should code multi-class. It's so much more interesting. Where should I best place this check, how can I make reusable code, how can I consolidate all this information into one structure, how can I access this structure elsewhere and most efficiently, how can I make a system that is at once intuitive and customizable, and yet complex enough to handle multiple variables from multiple enemies simultaneously and use them in relation to the current profession? (I'm so far from that but it's a fun goal to aspire to)

In the end, 'coding for Imperian' became the game more so than 'Imperian the game'.

I designed my system to be inclusive and basic so that it doesn't roll with a one-hit button to win; it's setup so you can be useful in teams, more useful than a simple alias spammed repeatedly and yet have the power, flexibility and scope to go all out on an offensive macro. That is why I love team combat much more than 1v1. You can take someone and make them useful. 1v1 is inexplicably boring. Having a team and teaching them to use their abilities, to learn the differences between good and bad decisions, teaching them to respond appropriately and in timely fashion - all this is way more fun than smashing my button and knowing that 'if you don't kill me fast enough, I'll eventually attrition down your cures and lock you'. Only recently with Demonic's numbers growing do I get an increasing sense of dissatisfaction because there is no superior alternative to spamming damage, output wise. 

In the end, if you're genuinely concerned about the state of combat in your ranks, mastering your art in 1v1 does squat all for your team - rather, dedicate your precious time to bringing more ability and more accessibility to all your players. That was my line of reasoning, however, each to his own.

tldr 
    - buy a Gem of Transmutation
    - coding for yourself is good, coding for others (multi-class) is great
  • Your soul is not yet prepared for the journey. Wait -12 seconds until Charon's work is complete.

I think he feels sorry for my constant dying >_<
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Vox tells you, "((really? six people for just me?))"
    Vox tells you, "((Like? over compensating or what?))"
    You tell Vox, The Wild Glaive, "Don't be so hurt."
    You tell Vox, The Wild Glaive, "It happens."
    Vox tells you, "6v1 - Only your circle ever does that, no one else."
    I couldn't stop laughing.
  • Mathiaus said:
    So what if I stick to one class. It's like someone learning multiple languages. Sure, you may have a wide variety of ways to speak, but you spend less time mastering one or two fully. Pros and cons both ways. Are either wrong? Course not. It's just a preference.
    Haha. Full Master of two professions! I'm sorry, spamming aconite/luminal DSLs as RG and being unable to kill anyone over 400 health as Bard makes you a Master of 0 professions.
  • The forum can be such a negative place.

@Mathiaus is someone who continually makes an effort, is fun to fight and is a just a nice person. Most of the weary old fighters in this game have gotten and given their share of both deserved and undeserved vitriol, but come on.

edited February 2014
    @Iniar when I had my old system, runeguard had quite a bit coded for it, including a moderate toxin system I hardly used.

You're right though, the most fun I had coding was that general system I had made for Nexus long ago. I know a couple people who actually still use it oddly enough.

I've coded for three different systems so far, slowly learning cmud stuff to help Aislygn, and I'm still happy to have a mostly functional combat system on my phone.

If I had access to tri transed classes from all circles, I'd probably try my hand in coding phone systems for all of you.
  • Kryss said:
    The forum can be such a negative place.

@Mathiaus is someone who continually makes an effort, is fun to fight and is a just a nice person. Most of the weary old fighters in this game have gotten and given their share of both deserved and undeserved vitriol, but come on.
    None of this is untrue, but I'm still not going to stand-by and let Mathiaus claim he has mastered his professions when he hasn't. I've been telling Mathiaus for a while that he should really learn how to use Runeguard to give him a better understanding Imperian's combat.
    Bard I have good grasp on. Runeguard not as much. That comment about the language s scenario was more metaphorical than literal. I agree, I haven't mastered new bard.

The best case scenario for a bard currently is stacking at least 3 or more afflictions. That gives them 1+ minute(s) for Cruel Lament. Once placed, the bard attempts to attack at least once with We primordial note for the affliction damage bonus, and then hope they can stack enough damage for CL to apply its damage boost to shaite and rubait. I'm grateful Iluv had suggested the change and that Garryn had implemented it.

With the ridiculously low resonance ceiling bards have, it's hard to utilize We effectively with Ta in damage. Iluv says it's possible to lock someone with bard supposedly. I'd like to see it happen.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited February 2014
    @Iluv the 1v1 battleaxe aconite/luminal + flare sleizak is a tactic none of us peasants could ever hope to be able to pull off like revered masters :(
  • Azefel said:
    @Iluv the 1v1 battleaxe aconite/luminal + flare sleizak is a tactic none of us peasants could ever hope to be able to pull off like revered masters :(
    Group 'repeatedly spam kantae and hope they don't stop it' is pretty superb as well.
  • Seems to work pretty well for priest's judge.
  • Bard has access to toxins and the ability to deliver them consecutively one second apart from each other three times. It also has access to impatience and anorexia and more importantly anorexia can be given at the same time as slickness.
  • Goddamnit @Mathiaus. Don't you know to be in the cool super duper awesome fighters club, you have to master at least three professions out of two different circles? 

Don't you know you can't just have fun with one? 

Come on now. I thought this was common knowledge.
  • That didn't take long for the victim mentality to set in.

-Mathiaus cried about meteor (or phylactery meteor)
    -We told him he was wrong and it was his fault
    -Mathiaus responded with a weak jab 'at least I code my own system'
    -I responded with jabs as well (not vitriol. Context is important, fox lady)
    -Iluv responded

The sad thing, is that whatever group of people you are, the new-up-and-comers, the fringe-hippy-pkers love to hurl insults up, down, and laterally and then act shocked when an established player who has been galvanized by years of tooling around on the IRE insults you back with facts and trash talk. People think that there is the truest system, where you use the most refined and battle tested method to kill someone. That's cool. Then there's people who have decided the quickest way from 400 to dead is the way I want to roll. Neither side is wrong. Neither side is right. It's a game. You can play it how you want. 

Personally, I like that Iluv has uber set ups on all of his classes. That's not really my cup of tea. I'm a fan of the 4 step pk program. A few years ago, this wasn't the case, but I've gotten lazier over the years and this is just more efficient. I -could- do it the 'elite' way, but :effort:. The cool thing is it doesn't change the outcome.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited February 2014
    Gurn said:
    Don't you know you can't just have fun with one? 
    Not anymore :( multiclass has ruined me :( Why throw fireballs when I can sprinkle you with dust, then set you alight while my treant humps your leg and then I'll get my ouroboros to rip out your heart from your desiccated corpse :(
    Ahkan said:
    That's not really my cup of tea. I'm a fan of the 4 step pk program. A few years ago, this wasn't the case, but I've gotten lazier over the years and this is just more efficient. I -could- do it the 'elite' way, but :effort:. The cool thing is it doesn't change the outcome.
    Gettin' old there Ahkan.
  • It's one of those things. I can sit here mashing my ideal setup against someone else's ideal setup until randomized curing gives one of us an edge. Chances are someone is going to spam shield and call it 'skill'.  I honestly get more enjoyment out of team engagements both large, small, and lopsided. Personally, I also think there's more 'skill' involved in those tiny skirmishes than there are in button mashing toxin queue fests. Even the after action reports are fun when you're explaining why what happened happened and how people can better avoid what happened in the future. You don't really see that in 1v1 because the ideal setup is just that, ideal, and easily rinse-repeatable. 

As an aside, it also lets me tag into pk as any class I own and still be 100% combat effective in any class/role that I'm forced into. I like having a lot of options to avoid getting bored.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.