Skip to content

Cults

Comments

• I assume @Jeremy got busy and did not check cults out yet?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • For cult altars, is there, or can we, do RP to erect our altars? Or do they just kind of appear eventually? Will they not be here till the "Ritual" stuff is in. And with that, if it's not till rituals are in, do we come up with certain rituals for our cult, or are there going to be basic rituals, and the option to make your own? 
  • Kari said:
    For cult altars, is there, or can we, do RP to erect our altars? Or do they just kind of appear eventually? Will they not be here till the "Ritual" stuff is in. And with that, if it's not till rituals are in, do we come up with certain rituals for our cult, or are there going to be basic rituals, and the option to make your own? 
    Our cult altar appeared automatically when the cult was approved, or shortly thereafter.
  • Hrm, Khizan's hasn't appeared yet. Unless CULT ALTAR is broken.

• Kari said:
    Hrm, Khizan's hasn't appeared yet. Unless CULT ALTAR is broken.

It was definitely bugged last night. Either it's been fixed or you have to pathfind it and then CULT ALTAR works, maybe? I pathfound, got to it, and then happened to check CULT ALTAR later and it told me the room name instead of the "You have no altar" message.
  • CULT ALTAR should indeed be fixed - please file a bug if it still doesn't work for yours.
  • I got mine.

IT'S AWESOME.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I like the Rashirmir altar, but I am biased.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Is there a way to see a list of the approved cults?
  • CULT LIST but only shows the ones in your circle
  • edited October 2012
    Dias said:
    Is there a way to see a list of the approved cults?
    Only for your circle. CULT LIST
    EDIT: Sniped  by Kari :(
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Thank you!
  • CULT LIST <magick/demonic/ anti-magick> will show you approved cults in respective circles
  • Wow, all of those look terrible.
  • u mad???? :3

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • With more features still coming, I'm hoping we get something unique and never seen before - because with the current portion of Cult Rituals, we literally just got back a bunch of old functions:

Order strength
    Commune
    The 'sacrifice' command
    God favours
    God Truefavours

Desecration could be seen as a much more aggressive/dangerous defile.

I hate to sound like I am tapping my foot, but when are the details that make this cult system a massive improvement?
  • edited November 2012
    If you remember from the news in game, one of our main coders is without power. So as much as it sucks that this isn't moving faster, you have to remember the game is down a coder. Not just any coder, but one of our power-house coders. So you need to just be patient. It's not like he asked Sandy to come knocking on his door.

And with that, I'm assuming you'll get more bigger things if/when you get an Ent.
  • Sarrius Sarriusin' up this Cult thread as per the norm.

• Hey, at least no shrines means no worldburn, right?

Right?
  • Is the resource bottleneck (available bashing areas/corpses needed per cult) intentional? If it's not, are there any plans to remedy this?

Why do cult deaths cost belief? I could see the mechanic with essence/gods, but we don't even have spirits. We have a corpse pie that is held in an altar 450 miles away from where Lionas kicked the bucket. What's the justification in one death costing 20 minutes of bashing? If we're going to 'break away" from the old system, why don't we...break away...from the old system?

Can we have the ability to customize the "look" of the rituals? Example..Khizan's fire Cult will have some visual emote that looks like the Human Torch when they go into defender mode. The Cult of Ravagers?(made this up) would look like really scary demons (small children fed cake) when activating the ritual. It wouldn't be anything major, just a neat visual. This would apply for all four of the rituals, just for neat little flavor. (Good stories need good visuals SEE: BALROG).
  • @Ahkan Cult deaths from bashing do seem to cost a lot in belief; one cult member cost Rashirmir 33,333 from one death, while being killed at the altar seems to cost a flat 20k, if the cost for sacrificing someone to turn them into an apprentice champion is any indication.

• It appears to vary based on the faith of the person dying. 33,333 appears to be the loss for a cult member at full faith.
  • It's any level of faith, I think. I don't believe I was at full when I died.
  • edited November 2012
    It's any level of faith, I think. I don't believe I was at full when I died.
    When I'm not full, the amount is lower.
    EDIT:
    In fact:
    2012/11/04 02:40:28 - We've lost 33333 belief due to death of Sarciossis.
    2012/11/04 03:40:47 - We've lost 7564 belief due to death of Sarciossis.

Could be unrelated to faith level, though. That's just the thing that jumped out at me.
  • Sent By: Garryn On 11/05/2012/9:02 Dying to mobs reduces belief, yes. Dying to players does not, unless it's at the altar.
  • 2012/11/05 03:23:28 - We've lost 33333 belief due to death of Pellerin.
    2012/11/05 03:28:26 - We've lost 8114 belief due to death of Pellerin.

Today I did see this significant difference in our logs, but yesterday the same person's deaths spaced within a similar time interval both cost 33,333. Although there might have been a silent fix.
  • edited November 2012
    To clarify - when you generate some faith by sacrificing corpses, both your personal faith and your cult belief increases. When you die to some mob, your personal faith decreases by a percentage of its current value, and your cult belief decreases by the same number - this essentially means that the cult only ever loses a portion of what the killed member generated. It is not possible to cost your cult more than what you contributed even if you die a hundred times.

(edit) - this applies to bashing deaths. You -can- cause a loss bigger than your contribution if you die to other players at the altar.
  • edited November 2012
    Is it safe to say then, that 0% Personal Faith = 0% loss for Cult Belief on mob death?

What stops me from making others offer for me and bashing guiltlessly/without worry?

EDIT: Excepting having no faith for the admittedly mediocre rituals.
  • Sarrius said:
    Is it safe to say then, that 0% Personal Faith = 0% loss for Cult Belief on mob death?

What stops me from making others offer for me and bashing guiltlessly/without worry?

EDIT: Excepting having no faith for the admittedly mediocre rituals.
    That is correct.
  • edited November 2012
    I have a small handful of criticisms regarding this 'stage' of the cult system - here's a concise list:

1. I don't see much in this system that isn't just orders, once again, repackaged - with the caveat that we must have an unnecessary level of grind associated with it to basically get back what we had a few months ago. I think it is sort of tasteless that this system is touted as 'really good for Imperian' or any other fantastical line of praise, when what you have done up to this point is repackage most of the order system and serve it back up to us in bits and pieces. The only new possibility is the ability to defile altars, which I assume will be used to wage holy wars and kill other cults off (which is A+ in my book, cool idea). A lot of people like to call this system a giant step forward - I think the beginning of this system made us stumble back a step, then you repackaged each inch of that step and gave it back to us. Where's the rest of the new stuff? Can we at least get some information on your intent with the system or what comes in the next two 'phases'?

2. I don't see why Anti-Magick Entities become angels. The connotation is incredibly 'holy' - I'm sure it sounds cool in some places, like 'Angel of Conquest', but in others likely will not appreciate it. It is unnecessary Devotion-flavored typecasting. I think it just grates on certain more 'natural' or 'wild' concepts - I think 'Incarnation' would have been a better word; 'the Incarnation of War', 'the Incarnation of Fate', etc. It is much more neutral in connotation for worship or sects.

3. Similar point, but this one grates on me less - Demon Lord/Lady for Demonic entities. I find it hard to believe that entities morph in to the same thing that players end up becoming with a transcendent Summoner skill. I know this is sort of a nitpick and can be handwaved by willing suspension of disbelief - i.e simply believing that entity demon lords are more powerful or differently flavored than Summoners who ritualistically change their aura to become demon lords. I believe something could be said in an IC fashion that differentiates the two brands in some way, or a new name could be found for players who are transmogrified. This is probably the most insubstantial of my complaints.

In general, I appreciate the ability to create my own ideology - but I feel like this system is just a massive series of hoodwinking the players. There's very little new within it.