Skip to content

IronCon 2014

edited August 2013 in The Real Life
We were so happy with last year, we have already booked the same mansion for 2014.

Here is a Facebook page where we will be keeping you up to date: https://www.facebook.com/ironcon 

We are already planning several more activities for the mansion and we will have better food. We will probably put tickets up for sale in November. You have a whole year to start saving your monies!

Comments

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    If only  I could buy a plane ticket with credits.
  • Honestly, I wouldn't be against you guys raising the price JUST a bit. If a hundred people show up and it's 125 or 150 per then it'll just push out the cost compensation. I know you guys lost money on this one just from the rental. let alone the alcohol and snacks.

Maybe 125-150 gets you 300 credits and a ticket? I dunno, I personally would be willing to pay the up charge.
  • We will be changing up tickets a little this year.

• Does the venue prevent you from having people like Gurn and Alesud whip up food and drinks? Is there a no B.Y.O.B policy? Kick it like college students.
  • You can BYOB, but we pretty much never ran out beer. We will probably do the same thing as we did this year. Endless corona and then an assortment of other things.

I am not against whipping up some food if you want. This year we were kinda against it, as we did not know how things would work out. As long as someone is not trying to monopolize the kitchen for hours, it should be fine.

• In other words, bake off between me and @Genviere!
  • Calling it now, old CG reunion at Ironcon 2014.

‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Dias
  • Svorai said:
    In other words, bake off between me and @Genviere!
    If Sarrius and I decide to go I want in on this bake-off.
  • Oh, on IronCon 2013, I am still working on the special item/area for it. Sorry it is taking so long. I am slow. It is getting closer though.

• Jeremy said:
    Oh, on IronCon 2013, I am still working on the special item/area for it. Sorry it is taking so long. I am slow. It is getting closer though.
    Jeremy still hasn't paid up for the DC meet. Don't hold your breath.

(:P)
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Hrm. You will get that today or tomorrow. I thought it was out!

• Jeremy said:
    Hrm. You will get that today or tomorrow. I thought it was out!
    It showed up right after I posted. Suspicious.
  • It actually showed up much earlier today, well before you posted. You just didn't notice it, and I forgot to tell you about it.
  • Jesse said:
    It actually showed up much earlier today, well before you posted. You just didn't notice it, and I forgot to tell you about it.
    A likely story.
  • The truth is, none of the attendees even wanted to make it, since they all knew you would hate it and berate them for all of the mistakes in it.

We had to outsource and get someone who wasn't even there to make it for us.
  • Jesse said:
    The truth is, none of the attendees even wanted to make it, since they all knew you would hate it and berate them for all of the mistakes in it.

We had to outsource and get someone who wasn't even there to make it for us.
    Come on, it was because so many of us had lined up to make it. We didn't want to play favourites and so we threw it to an objective observer. I for one would have lost complete control of my grammar Nazi fangirl faculties had I been given responsibility of creating a special item for last year's attendees.

Lost. Complete. Control.

It would have been my greatest creation.

Jeremy sings, "Sugar how you get so fly?"
  • So, uh, who's going to 2014? Trying to figure out if I should buy a ticket.
  • This girl right here is! I'm pretty excited. :( 
  • Unless something majorly catastrophic happens, I intend to go.
  • I will be there. Furthermore, Gurn, I demand that you must be present as well. I formally challenge you to a ping pong rematch.
  • I would need to see if the price of plane tickets drops, because right now it's $500 round-trip for one person unless I want ridiculous layovers.
  • Lalitana said:
    I would need to see if the price of plane tickets drops, because right now it's $500 round-trip for one person unless I want ridiculous layovers.
    Too bad you hate driving. That's what I'm going to do, if I go!
  • edited November 2013

If you can fly Southwest Airlines, it's almost certainly cheaper than any other option. Even if you can't, though... driving that far might cost you less than $500, but probably not by enough to make it worth the extra hassle and time. 

At ~$3.00 a gallon(current gas price in San Antonio, which is usually cheap compared to the rest of the country), I'd be looking at a solid $250 in gas for a round trip with ~30 miles to the gallon. Add on another ~2500 miles on my vehicle and 18 hours of driving each way and the extra time you have to take off work/school to account for basically spending 2 extra days on travel?

Driving can suddenly seem much less attractive.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited November 2013

@Celestine I love to drive, I'm just not willing to rack up 36 hours, 2500 miles of drive-time, and $300 of gas each way to get to IronCon. Because that's insane.
  • edited November 2013
    Jesse said:
    I will be there. Furthermore, Gurn, I demand that you must be present as well. I formally challenge you to a ping pong rematch.
    200 dollar ping pong match? Seems legit.

Well, shit, I guess I have to go now.

EDIT: Aaaaand purchased. Better see more of you Imperianites signing up.
  • I look forward to troubleshooting quests on-site in a hotel lobby, @Gurn.

• Better get to finding more bugs. I promise not to report them until we get the IronCon.
  • To go or not to go. I wish I knew if I will be in Switzerland or not... I may just be getting back, at which point, I may also be terribly, terribly broke.