Skip to content

Veil of the Obtenebrate

13»

Comments

• Proposed solution likely already in this thread: shut off a Veil for a short duration after engaging in offensive action versus players and specific city mobiles (guards).

Why can't we just do this? Has anybody asked @Jeremy if he's even seen this thread?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Shouldn't even get 60 seconds. Being in enemy territory should just disable it.

• I have no problem with a non-champion, non-pker wearing a veil to bash (I don't think this exists, but hey, unicorn)

I do have a problem with a city-raider, monolith holder, champion bearing "fighter" wearing an immunity to pk card. I shouldn't have to pay 2000cr to get the opportunity to fight/curb stomp the "fighter". It's hard enough keeping them in the room. I should at least have the chance to spam tentacle, because that goes places.
  • edited October 2013
    I should at least have the chance to spam tentacle, because that goes places.

I never said they'd be places you wanted to go.

• Sarrius said:
    Proposed solution likely already in this thread: shut off a Veil for a short duration after engaging in offensive action versus players and specific city mobiles (guards).

Why can't we just do this? Has anybody asked @Jeremy if he's even seen this thread?
    I don't read the forums, they make my eyes bleed. :)

• Jeremy said:
    Sarrius said:
    Proposed solution likely already in this thread: shut off a Veil for a short duration after engaging in offensive action versus players and specific city mobiles (guards).

If I offered some goggles and gauze, would you be willing to weigh in on this thread?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • I am thinking about the situation. Basically, the same thing I have always thought. 2000 credits for a pretty powerful tool. Not sure I really want to make any changes. Especially as only 4 or 5 active people use it. The only thing I would even consider would be turning it off for a few seconds if someone attacks in an enemy city.

• Jeremy said:
    Sarrius said:

That's a reassuring thing for the producer of the game to be posting...
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Lionas said:
    Jeremy said:
    Sarrius said:

That's a reassuring thing for the producer of the game to be posting...
    I'm joking! I am semi addicting to reading them... dang it.

• Jeremy said:
    I am thinking about the situation. Basically, the same thing I have always thought. 2000 credits for a pretty powerful tool. Not sure I really want to make any changes. Especially as only 4 or 5 active people use it. The only thing I would even consider would be turning it off for a few seconds if someone attacks in an enemy city.
    2000 credits is a lot of credits, but the message sent on artifacts is that they enhance your strength - not make you exempt from balance on the level of 'common sense'. A Veil minimizes the risk of raiding a city and bringing trouble on oneself. I would rather just see the Veil not work in a city you aren't in the circle of. Is that too much?
  • Yeah, that is probably further than I would go.

• edited October 2013
    The only thing I would even consider would be turning it off for a few seconds if someone attacks in an enemy city.

And how likely are you to do this? And how long would 'a few seconds' constitute? And what would it turn on for - guards? Mobs? Players? All of the above (please)?

The only real problem with Veil is how it takes away a large portion of the risk of raiding.. which also gives the defenders their advantage to protect a place that they should reasonably expect to be safe in. Defenders gain the advantage of having the largest amount of space to move in and the ability to bring guards down to the location the offender is in. The Veil removes this advantage, creating an environment where a very small portion of players can relocate before they are found and continue causing trouble in a zone where they should be just as penalized any other player doing the attacking - because that is the risk you should be forced to accept when infiltrating and attacking players in cities.

EDIT: There are actually other problems with Veil, but I know you will never consider these issues as actual problems because the Veil is a rare but tremendous moneymaker and we all have accepted that you are trying to run a business here. For example: Veil is an anti-conflict artifact in a conflict-driven game. It doesn't reasonably protect anybody bashing, it just serves as a 2000 credit barrier between you and the repercussions for the trouble you make. All we are asking you to do is force Veil users to accept the same risk while within the same situation - they still gain a huge advantage by being unable to be found when they subsequently get bountied for raiding anyways.
  • As a veil owner, I am pretty okay with them not blocking active locating  while in non circle cities and townes. They should still  not show my room on the who list, but if I'm standing in Kinsarmar i should be able to be farseen.  And of course, you should always be locatable by other veil owners. 

Or just make veil stop functioning after attacking another player, player loyal, or org loyal  for 5 minutes.  

It is a pretty fair compromise between 2000 credits and fairness.

• 20% of the population has spoken up.
  • Selthis said:
    As a veil owner, I am pretty okay with them not blocking active locating  while in non circle cities and townes. They should still  not show my room on the who list, but if I'm standing in Kinsarmar i should be able to be farseen.  And of course, you should always be locatable by other veil owners. 

Or just make veil stop functioning after attacking another player, player loyal, or org loyal  for 5 minutes.  

It is a pretty fair compromise between 2000 credits and fairness.

I would prefer an activated ability with an expendable resource to let you bypass veil only within loyal orgs, but something needs to be done. For simplicity and balance, though, the better solution is to have it disabled in enemy orgs. I don't think that disabling it outside of orgs is necessary.

tl;dr, make that 40%
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Selthis said:

0-2m after attack: No effect
    2-3m after attack: 25% soulmask effect
    3-4m after attack: 50% soulmask effect
    4-5m after attack: 75% soulmask effect
    5m+: full functionality.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited October 2013
    Basically, the same thing I have always thought. 2000 credits for a pretty powerful tool.

Isn't this the kind of mentality that introduced dragons to Imperian?

There's a difference between pay-to-play perk and game-breaking. The veil as is is rather game altering/breaking.
  • Okay, I will think this one over some more.

• Jeremy said:
    Okay, I will think this one over some more.
    So it's been like two weeks - anything worth sharing, yet?