Skip to content

Experience loss and a couple other things

Comments

• So I've been going over the significant PK experience part and their has been a HUGE increase in PK from players. I recently got 6% PK from killing Ageranu at my level, and Brishi has gotten 10% with Ruga getting a whooping 95% (He killed two people) at some point. While I'm all for increasing PK experience to encourage combat, that seems like a huge unnecessary increase and makes being a high pk'er just like an Aspect (Everyone has it). Aspect was important because it was almost necessary for PK. I don't see why we need to give away huge amounts of PK to people. If the increase was from 2 to 4%, I would still find that reasonable but 2-6%?? or in some cases, 10-20%? That's just too much

I personally prided on being high on PK because I had to dedicate a lot of time to reach that level. Now everyone is going to be at least 90 with ease. This bothers me because it will be the same thing as Aspect is now.

Those are my opinions though. 

tl;dr - The PK experience gained from people is too damn high now and I hate it! 
  • edited August 2013
    Turn on, boot up, jack in.
  • @Ziat - PK level is inconsequential, who gives a damn?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited August 2013
    Ziat said:

I personally prided on being high on PK because I had to dedicate a lot of time to reach that level. Now everyone is going to be at least 90 with ease. This bothers me because it will be the same thing as Aspect is now.

Those are my opinions though. 

tl;dr - The PK experience gained from people is too damn high now and I hate it! 
    As people reach parity in PK levels and stuff settle to where a good number of people are similar, the gain will be much slower.  Ruga has a really low pk level because he dies a lot.  He killed menoch, who has a high PK level.  It happens. 

You're shooting for parity with people actively out and pk'ing and getting some benefit for it. The good PKers will actively maintain a higher level than the horde becuase they take the time to  PK and learn about it. 

Edit: Basically what I'm saying is it will take time, just like bashing.  Sure everyone gains levels fast at low levels, but it will slow down for them eventually. 
  • I will have Jesse take a look at it today and make sure it is not too high.

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Anyone else notice the abusive bug where you gain experience from your own death if you're in the same ring as your friend who killed you?
  • Yes, @Mathiaus, and thank you for pointing that out to me. I'm still working on fixing that one.
  • The new announce post says that duels will now give PK XP. I think this is generally a bad idea, since duels are mainly used for testing, rather than actual combat, and I don't think people should be getting PK XP for testing their new kill methods.

Other than that, I do like PK XP in the arena, though. That also being said, with PK XP and Quest XP being a lot easier to get now, are there plans for endgame beyond-aspect rewards or such?
  • edited August 2013
    I'd like to cut the PK experience in the arena in half. Arena fights, after all, aren't real fights that require expenditure of resources.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited August 2013
    I'd go so far as to say 75-80%. It will be gamed to 100 by people who would otherwise never earn it. Looking at you Dias.
  • We will probably be making some adjustments there.

• I'd prefer to cut the exp gain from spars completely. Leave it on at a reduced rate for global arena events sure but it doesn't matter how low you put it otherwise: someone will always take advantage. And anyway, experience gain from testing spars and the like is just silly.

• For real. I'd get an entire level from being Fazlee's testing dummy, because he 'accidentally' kills people he doesn't like in Antioch when he 'tests' on them.
  • So, new problem that stems from an old problem.

Original problem: The obelisk system is bad.

New problem: Reduced xp value make prolonged obelisk fights awesome and bad at the same time. Take today. Magicker team loads up and rolls out to attack an obelisk. We come up with an awful strategy to defend it that doesn't work, at all. We die to a pack of rabid druids. Against all odds we manage to win two team encounters at the cost of 3 deaths. 

At this point: Demonic is worth 25% xp.

Enter skype, text messages and smoke signals. Reinforcements, hooooooo.

More people show up who instantly go to the obelisk fight to shut down the timer which is ticking away at a glacial pace.

We all die some more. Demonic is now worth 0% xp. Magick is now worth 25% of original totals. At this point, Magick has no mechanic gain.

They're not going to quit because they just logged on for this crap. We don't want to quit because we want the outpost so we can deny prime time skype doom. We honestly had nothing to lose, except sanity, and we could have kept that fighting going for ages and ages and ages. The problem there is for 6hrs we'd all be worth 0% xp and we'd really just troll-grief Magick into quitting. This is a bad scenario. No one wins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -So, we should brew up ideas for XP gains/loss in prolonged Obelisk fights.

-We should also come up with ideas to make the obelisk system less about "I can text 18 people, druid voltron assemble!" Three months ago it was "I can text 19 people, AM voltron assemble!" AM voltron was actually slightly cooler, they had more class diversity.

My name is Ahkan and I never thought the obelisk system was fun. <-- added for posterity.

• Any chance the decay rate could be (significantly) reduced if both players were in an obelisk battle? Can't really see that becoming a farming problem given the requirements.

Also I love that both times I've had time to log in this week there's been fighting going on, this is cool.

• I would rather make that the diminish returns from kills is reversed when you kill some number of people in between. Or some other condition. Diminishing returns in long fights (which are now MORE usual than even old raiding) is annoying.
  • edited August 2013
    How about if your circle is attacking or defending during an obelisk attack  the decay rate on XP disappears? Its already locks the island  so only those two circles can enter the island.  It already takes forever to build up the energy to attack, if someone abuses their power to farm up xp it, they're quite possibly gonna get booted from their city because they're screwing the entire circle. 

It seems like that would solve itself with that change. Or am I missing something?

Edit: I also thought the 25% reduction per kill was per person.  So if I killed Ahkan, he'd be worth 75% if I killed him again right afterward.  But if Aleutia killed ahkan right after I did he'd be worth 100%?

• edited August 2013
    Selthis said:

Edit: I also thought the 25% reduction per kill was per person.  So if I killed Ahkan, he'd be worth 75% if I killed him again right afterward.  But if Aleutia killed ahkan right after I did he'd be worth 100%?

This is correct. Only the person who killed it will get 75% less xp (Eventually giving it 75% less to the whole group). You will have to die a LOT of times to reach 0% for everyone
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Iniar said:
    I didn't lose exp when dying to guards in Kinsarmar. Is this intentional/should it be?
    This.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Remove the EXP loss/gain from arena duels. I personally wouldn't game this particular achievement, but others will.
  • Dias said:
    Remove the EXP loss/gain from arena duels. I personally wouldn't game this particular achievement, but others will.
    Particular being the key word in this sentence.
  • I like doing achievements. I operate within the bounds that Jeremy set for them. Deal with it.
  • Having gamed everything I needed out of the system and attracting the attention of the 'law', I chose to behave.
  • So, question

Brishi has died in the magical blast of a mushroom sigil.

I this Brishi being a huge sack of dongs to avoid pk experience/showing up on someone's kills list? If so, can we have this not be a thing? 
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    Ahkan said:
    So, question

Brishi has died in the magical blast of a mushroom sigil.

I this Brishi being a huge sack of dongs to avoid pk experience/showing up on someone's kills list? If so, can we have this not be a thing? 
    It's also to avoid losing champion.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    people gotta steal my moves 
  • Feedback on this so far please. Too much XP? Arena XP good or no good? No XP loss sucks?

• This is way too much PK. It used to take me 2-3 months just to get a single PK level and I'm up by 1.5 levels in the past 5 days. Granted that a lot of battles have taken place, but I think it is really high.

However, I've noticed a huge increase in people joining in. Some people in magick, that never ever thought of doing anything besides shardfall just told me to take them raiding, monoliths and all that conflict. Its shocking to see and its because of the PK sharing part, where they gain heavily for participating. 

I don't like the Arena XP. This needs to go. I don't have any solid reason for this but I've seen extraordinary gain. This has no doubt encouraged more conflicts (mostly teamffa) but then people don't want to join the weak or losing team, and they wait to time it to join the stronger team, or not join at all.

No XP loss is still good to me.