Skip to content

Cults

Comments

• Khizan said:

One thing I'd really like is, say, a cult based around something like fire worship, for the Magick circle, where there was no actual "God of Fire" or "Entity of Fire" or the like, but where there was still interaction with it. Say, an NPC priest at the altar to converse with and call attention to things when needed, but where the main 'communication' comes from seeing visions in the flames, seeing patterns in the smoke, etc, etc.

Which actually is the basis for my cult, Elementis. Cult of the Elements. The description says it all. We're tired of being under the thumb of one All Powerful Being (aka a God) so we're taking control. The concept is around the four elements of air, water, fire, and earth in rituals. I have images of summoning Guardian freakin' Elements of Fire or Water at rituals, praying to the Earth Guardian to open up the earth and swallow enemies. Total awesomeness.

But then Jeremy said it was too vague and now I'm sad. :(

With a steady hand, Aosoth batters you with an orb sigil.
    You say, "Ow."
    You say to Aosoth, "Bitch."
    Aosoth blinks.
    You exclaim, "That hurt!"
    Lord Aosoth, of the Thirst says to Caelya, "I bring out the best in people."
  • I would say that elements is not vague, because the moment you break it, you create another Lianthe. The RP opportunities that exist are tremendous in a unified cult dedicated to elements with potential breakaway factions who claim supremacy of one element over others. (keijima).
  • edited October 2012
    Seems like sort of a catch 22 there.

I was never involved with Lianthe in any way, I just assumed it was @Justus' personal gold sink.

• Lianthe had a lot of fun potential to her, but it was a pretty quiet order for most of the time I was in it. Which, to be fair, was not very recently. It's one of those gods that really depended on how she was played.
  • Usually most Orders were quiet because of the lack of members. Though I did like Eloweth's and thought Cassiopeia's was fairly active as well
  • I actually took the Seasons and thought how can I break it down even more than just Winter, Fall, Summer, etc.? Something really kicka$$ that wasn't a lawlLianthecopy. Kinda tired of playing with safe and smiling, understanding Gods. I wanna play with some entities that are rough around the edges. Raw, powerful, dangerous as demons in the Pit kinda thing for magick without turning into demoners. Who says Stavenn and Khandava can have all the fun?
    You say, "Ow."
    Aosoth blinks.
  • Alright..this is gettin my goat. This started out as a really cool, PLAYER DRIVEN idea, and now this is going from a good idea to an over-regulated beauracracy.

Look. If you want the game to be player driven, you have to let the players drive it. If the players fail at something they do, SO BE IT. Trying to regulate cults because their "old ideas" or "old concepts"-these concepts dont just magickally GO AWAY from an RP standpoint. The ideas that the gods represented SURVIVE, they dont just DIE because the God did. So, WHY can't we just create "Peace 2.0" or "Life 2.0"? If people sign and join the cult, then so be it, thats obviously what they wanted. 

People will still come up with new ideas. People will come up with new cults. If enough people like the idea, it will take off, perhaps taking members from another cult into it. The old cult will die off, the new idea will permeate. The new cult with thrive, or it will not, depending on the idea. Does anyone disagree this is the wrong way to propagate new ideas? Nevermind, don't answer that question.

On the same topic, did you guys ever think about the Priest class when you did this? How come all our abilities still say "You say a prayer to the Gods and..." Um, I'm sorry, the Gods are dead. Where am I getting my power from? Why am I a Priest? Can we RP this ourselves as a guild, or are we going to get an answer forced upon us. Can maybe we get some "divine" or something to help us out a bit here?

If you want this deal to be player driven, then let the players drive it, and don't try to regulate every single idea they have. If it sucks, let them spend their money. When another idea comes along that is better, their bad cult will be replaced with a new one. But if your going to force us to do everything a certain way, then just make the cults for us and spoon feed it to us. Cause thats what its feeling like.

/rant
  • edited October 2012

I can see it now

Bathan walks in, calls for his Piety rite... "Damnit. They have me on hold. Would you mind holding off for a few minutes? My prayers are very important to them, it should be here any time now."

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• "Look Vahin, if you're not going to answer my prayers, I'll walk down the hall and talk to Janus. He's been trying to get me to pray to him for weeks!"
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Veratyr said:
    Look. If you want the game to be player driven, you have to let the players drive it. If the players fail at something they do, SO BE IT. Trying to regulate cults because their "old ideas" or "old concepts"-these concepts dont just magickally GO AWAY from an RP standpoint. The ideas that the gods represented SURVIVE, they dont just DIE because the God did. So, WHY can't we just create "Peace 2.0" or "Life 2.0"? If people sign and join the cult, then so be it, thats obviously what they wanted. 

People will still come up with new ideas. People will come up with new cults. If enough people like the idea, it will take off, perhaps taking members from another cult into it. The old cult will die off, the new idea will permeate. The new cult with thrive, or it will not, depending on the idea. Does anyone disagree this is the wrong way to propagate new ideas? Nevermind, don't answer that question.

If you want this deal to be player driven, then let the players drive it, and don't try to regulate every single idea they have. If it sucks, let them spend their money. When another idea comes along that is better, their bad cult will be replaced with a new one. But if your going to force us to do everything a certain way, then just make the cults for us and spoon feed it to us. Cause thats what its feeling like.

/rant
    Because I already saw a couple cults that were "in the memory of God X'. A cult is trying to attract an entity, not the memory of an old god. I am 100% certain players can some up with something more interesting then Life, Death, or some other general sweeping term. Start with that and then massage it into something more amazing. 

Clans are for unregulated RP (and non rp) ideas. Cults will have a permanent effect on the game, so we are not going to let poorly thought out ideas through.

• The guidelines really help put this in to focus. Restrictions breed creativity.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • I know I wouldn't be upset if Bathan stopped flaring me. :(

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited October 2012
    Not gonna lie, brewing up cult ideas is f*ckin fun. Even talking to the Rugrat Furbies has been a good time. Given, there's a lot of situations where I just face-desk when interacting with a glow ball. Some of the child-like moments have been hilarious. All in all, I've really had a great time interacting with them.

Also, thanks for removing the 3m gold increase. I didn't want to be competing with the Bronies cult.
  • Yeah, the most recent post which lays it out a bit more has helped a ton, I just fear that my personal cult ideas are too well, personal.  Not a whole lot of people going to be rolling around in a human skin fashion cult.

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited October 2012
    With a little bit of salesmanship, you could get Kanna to join. Boy in girl skin!
  • Yeah, I even want to make a cult... but that would be weird.

• Honestly classlead 67 would open up a whole new world of epidermis outfits for me.  She'd fit right in

• Jeremy said:
    Yeah, I even want to make a cult... but that would be weird.
    In this cult you all give me your tangible money and in return I give you intangible enjoyment.

The Cult of Iron Realms.

• Actually, I'll give it to Ahkan - interacting with Zhiash, Zarah, Omyedhi, and Opis has been a blast. Each of them seem so smart sometimes - until you bring up something new, and then we are back to square one regarding their obliviousness. Also, brewing up cult ideas is fun because that's the creative side - the mechanical side still bothers me in some ways, but I've decided to just use the system instead of hating it and excluding myself. I've had some small success putting together a charter, so I'll submit when Jeremy says we can. Until then, I'm trying to get more steam - more signatures, more people interested, etc.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • The interaction with Zarah was fun, using juggling and mimic were good times
  • @sarrius As far as mechanics go, I am sure those will evolve as the process moves along. Poor @garryn is already suffering under the coders whip with our ideas for cults and so on.

• @Jeremy Is it cool to submit cults now, then? I figured your post yesterday meant hold off so you could speak to people like Miichelle or I guess myself beforehand.
  • Jeremy said:
    @sarrius As far as mechanics go, I am sure those will evolve as the process moves along. Poor @garryn is already suffering under the coders whip with our ideas for cults and so on.
    Ideas? What ideas? I had to design half of it myself!

Anyway - yes, what you guys see is only the beginning, there is a lot more coming.
  • edited October 2012
    Ahkan said:
    With a little bit of salesmanship, you could get Kanna to join. Boy in girl skin!
    Apoloc said:
    Honestly classlead 67 would open up a whole new world of epidermis outfits for me.  She'd fit right in

So this is the "let's make fun of transgendered people' thread now?
  • Sarrius said:
    @Jeremy Is it cool to submit cults now, then? I figured your post yesterday meant hold off so you could speak to people like Miichelle or I guess myself beforehand.
    You can submit. I will probably not look at them again until tomorrow though.

• Jeremy said:
    Sarrius said:
    @Jeremy Is it cool to submit cults now, then? I figured your post yesterday meant hold off so you could speak to people like Miichelle or I guess myself beforehand.
    You can submit. I will probably not look at them again until tomorrow though.
    I felt misled, then reread the message you sent me and realized you never gave anything resembling a timeline.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Sarrius said:
    Actually, I'll give it to Ahkan - interacting with Zhiash, Zarah, Omyedhi, and Opis has been a blast. Each of them seem so smart sometimes - until you bring up something new, and then we are back to square one regarding their obliviousness. Also, brewing up cult ideas is fun because that's the creative side - the mechanical side still bothers me in some ways, but I've decided to just use the system instead of hating it and excluding myself. I've had some small success putting together a charter, so I'll submit when Jeremy says we can. Until then, I'm trying to get more steam - more signatures, more people interested, etc.
    Yeah....until someone happened to bring up procreation talking to Paeses? Paesus? <spelling>. Oi! Try explaining that one to a child-like Being without blushing.
    You say, "Ow."
    Aosoth blinks.