Skip to content

Smithing & Knights

AmbroseAmbrose Texas
edited August 2013 in New Ideas
At the risk of becoming that person that posts a new topic every other day, I saw a post tossing smithing out there as something that should become a universal trade skill. I don't particularly have an argument against this, and it strikes me trailblazing would fit fairly well (or some variant thereof, there are a few overlapping skills and Deathknights would need some more circle appropriate skills)... is there a reason smithing continues to live on as a mostly useless class skill? What are some thoughts floating around there on what to do about it?

Comments

• The last time we replaced a tradeskill with Trailblazing, Hunter was super stupid tanky and we ended up remaking the class again anyways down the road. Eventually, @Garryn will get around to figuring out what to do for Smithing. I largely champion removing it from their kit and giving them a third skill to cement their uniqueness per circle.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • You need to basically code between 4-6 skillsets by removing Smithing, because very likely, you will need to revamp Chivalry/Brutality, along with the 3 new third skillsets.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited August 2013
    Smithing is a terrible, awful, abysmal skillset. You don't want it. I do understand that you want it. I want you guys to create badass weapons, but it's terrible.

-Problem 1: It's a despicable gold sink because of...

-Problem 2: Roulette is a terrible mechanic to build a skillset around.
    I've smithed with dwarf bonus, crystehl bonus and a forging hammer bonus. I would still smith what Ozreas adoringly called a broaditar. It was a scimitar that was so terrible that it was a broadsword. This happens all the time. Each forging is about 5-6 tries per goal. I understand that craft is hard. Let's be reasonable here. After 200 years of taking 5-6 attempts at making swords, you'd think we'd garner some insight into SUCK LESS.

-Problem 3: Repair is a kick in the nuts. I know that it's realistic. You know what, reality can suck it. I don't want to be punished for using the sword that Katalina spent 30 minutes afk to make. I enjoyed that sword so much it broke. Kat, come be afk some more. (I'm not sure if this is a commodity sink or a shameless plug to buy artifact swords).

Back in the day, smithing was WORSE. I know it's hard to believe. Each ingot had a specific stat that it favored. You had to cross circle to get good weapons. If you got caught with a decent sword (it had bone, oric, veritum) you could get ousted by some knob who was jealous/petty/roleplaying. If that's not bad enough? You couldn't get a full set of armor. Somehow, despite the fact that smithing with stehl is universal, smiths 'forgot' how to make greaves, helms and vambraces, depending on where they were on the circle map. Derp.

Also, if they replace smithing knights pick up a tertiary skill. Knights are all middle of the road/balanced/awesome. I can't think anything that knights need, let alone an entire skillset of stuff to replace smithing.
  • edited August 2013
    I am not against this idea, but it will not happen for a while. 

One, we have too many other things I want done first. 
    Two, I would want separate, new skills for each knight class rather then just giving them an existing skillset. (No small amount of work)
    Three, we wold have to change up the existing skillsets they keep, in order to balance them.
    Four, I am lazy.

So maybe in the future, but not anytime soon.

• Hey, I told Garryn I'd write the Templar class. I mean, how many sword lasers do you want?
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Just one. When it comes to lightsabers, I'm a traditionalist.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."