Skip to content

The Voices of Imperian

edited February 2013 in General Discussion
In a world without sound, how do you imagine your character speaks? What do you think other characters would sound like?

I imagine Abigail speaking with a South Wales accent for example.

Comments

• I have been playing this game since 2003, and never once tried to imagine how my character sounds.
  • edited February 2013
    I like to think that all Kohdons sound like Wrex (or Grunt) and orcs like the Warhammer ones.

• Bathan was designed to basically just be like Ba'gamnan from FFXII. He rasps when he speaks, but there was no convenient way to convey that for the longest time. He has the ToA staff which allows for custom emotes, so he has a unique rasping laugh.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • edited February 2013
    Bathan said:
    youtube
    Off-topic: this is actually the first time I've ever seen any Final Fantasy game past 8. Is it really all 'cutscene' or 'watch characters flail around on an abstract background'?
  • edited February 2013
    Abigail said:
    I like to think that all Kohdons sound like Wrex (or Grunt) and orcs like the Warhammer ones.
    Ragnar does not sound like either of them. He sounds like Todd from Stargate Atlantis.

• Abigail said:
    Bathan said:
    youtube
    Off-topic: this is actually the first time I've ever seen any Final Fantasy game past 8. Is it really all 'cutscene' or 'watch characters flail around on an abstract background'?
    Further off-topic: 9, 10, and 12 are all pretty cool IMO, with 12 being my favorite. The game is an attempt to make a single-player MMO experience. I feel like they did that pretty well. You have to really waste a bunch of time doing the same stuff over and over to get certain things. Drops and chests are often random. To get the single best item in the game, you have to either not open these 4 random chest scattered throughout the game, or you have to go open a chest in the middle of a lot of tough enemies until you get lucky. I think the chest has a 1:1000 chance of dropping it if you messed up and got one of the other chests. Also, from my understanding, the hardest optional boss takes over an hour to kill, sometimes much more. Great story, interesting(if hard to take serious sometimes) voice acting. The battle isn't usually like that, but some people prefer to use ridiculously long quickenings to kill every single enemy so that's what you see there. Would love to see it remade for PS3. Try it.

Bathan, I'm gonna try and picture that next time I see you in a shardfall.

Personally, I don't tend to hear a certain voice when I read anything, unless I've learned a voice from somewhere. If I'm reading a book that's been turned into a movie and I've heard the characters in the movie, I hear them when I read. Or even playing a game like Morrowind where you heard the character's voice, but most conversation doesn't have voice acting, I could usually read what they said in their voice. So I might hear Ba'gamnan if/when I see Bathan speak, but I've not mentally associated anybody else's character with a voice so I don't hear one when I see them say something. Cept for maybe Lionas and Selthis. These voices come to mind a little.

• I think everyone who's met Darin, knows how he sounds, I mean he growls when he talks(literally). Props to my fellow Lycaeans!

• My fiancee has informed me that my character is voiced by the Johnny Depp version of Barnabas Collins.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what to think of this.
  • Being a mutated scorpion-thing, I've always imagined Kaveri speaking with undertones of clicks and chitters, usually pretty level in pitch but varying based on mood.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I wasn't that creative. Merely thought of Argonians for Kohdons.
  • Mathiaus said:
    I wasn't that creative. Merely thought of Argonians for Kohdons.
    <argonian voice>Why do Khajiit lick their butts? To get the taste of Khajiit cooking out of their mouth.</argonian>
  • edited March 2013
    Dicene said:
    <argonian voice>Why do Khajiit lick their butts? To get the taste of Khajiit cooking out of their mouth.</argonian>

• I always imagined Volpe's voice as Sam from Cheers.  Minus the terrible fro of course.

Basically a fusion of friendliness, a bit of mockery and occasional slurring.
  • For me, I've always thought that Lindsay is a combination between Marla from Fight Club and Catherine Zeta Jones. With a sharp, cold, perhaps subtly sarcastic delivery. :P

• Lindsay said:
    For me, I've always thought that Lindsay is a combination between Marla from Fight Club and Catherine Zeta Jones. With a sharp, cold, perhaps subtly sarcastic delivery. :P
    If you know who/what I'm referring to, I've always imagined Lindsay sounding almost exactly like Jaheira from the Baldur's Gate RPG series.
  • I always figured I sounded a bit like the goddamn Batman, as much as I hate linking College Humor.
    Jeremy sings, "Sugar how you get so fly?"
  • Kaveri said:
    Lindsay said:
    For me, I've always thought that Lindsay is a combination between Marla from Fight Club and Catherine Zeta Jones. With a sharp, cold, perhaps subtly sarcastic delivery. :P
    If you know who/what I'm referring to, I've always imagined Lindsay sounding almost exactly like Jaheira from the Baldur's Gate RPG series.
    You got it! That's definitely her, though, the weird 'r' rolling is a bit much. It sounds like some sort of bird.