Skip to content

Lesson cost research

edited February 2013 in General Discussion
Let's assume it takes 1750 lessons to trans a skill and 700 for miniskills.

Generally, to be able to become a fighter worth a damn, you will want to trans all three of your guildskills, plus Survival. If you want to stretch it a little further, you'll want Antidotes, and maybe some investment in Tattoos, Weaponry and Perception (let's say Expert and assume 433 lessons to reach Expert) for their nifty benefits.

Some professions (knights, mages, rangers/amazons) may get away with just transing two guildskills, and you don't REALLY need every single thing stated above, so your mileage may vary on exactly what is needed/desired. This is just an estimate of the high-end costs.

Three guildskills: 5250
Survival: 1750
Antidotes: 700
Tertiary skills: 1300
Total: 9000

So, using very loose estimates, it takes about 9000 lessons to become an entry-level combatant (i.e. you are not flailing about and dying horribly due to lack of skills learned.)

A fresh noob at level 1 has 150 lessons. You get 5 lessons per level gained after that, and 100 bound credits from 10 to 70.

At level 80, you will have 1145 lessons to spend. This means that you'll need to obtain 7855 lessons through credits.

One credit can be converted into 8.5 lessons (assuming no prior conversion) and bound credits into 6 lessons. This means you will need 1310 bound credits or 924 whole credits.

Current credit prices on the market are 8,000-10,000 per, and it seems like you'd reasonably be able to get them in bulk for that much (or potentially less.) You will spend 7.4 million gold at the least, and 9.3 at the most. Or, you can shell out $300 for 1000 credits via the website.

For $25 a month, you can get Iron Elite, and obtain 1260+(30m) bound credits worth of lessons per month (5 lessons a day, 100 bound credits a month, 5 bound credits extra for each month after that, 60 credits for selling two tokens). Using this method it'd take you 6 months to get the lessons you need at a total cost of $150, plus you'll have a pretty nifty XP bonus to go along with it.

So, if you're looking to be a badass, grab an Iron Elite membership and play half a year. It is statistically worth it!

Comments

• You'll need 5250 lessons, or 875 bound or 618 whole credits, to tri-trans a single profession.

To omni-trans you'll need (15750)+(5250x)+(4900) lessons where x is the amount of professions you'll want to learn. This isn't counting shared skills (i.e. templar and runeguard, renegade and assassin, deathknight and diabolist.)

AM has 7 professions (ranger+amazon have identical skillsets), magick and demonic have 6. So that's 52150 for M/D and 57400 for AM.

You will need 3900 credits ( (25900-8500)/6)+1000 ) to omnitrans with one profession and 8275 credits to omnitrans with 6.
  • I'm not sure if you know it exists, but this sort of information wouldn't be amiss on a page on the (player updated (and thus never updated)) Imperian wiki. Login credentials are the same as game and forum.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    edited February 2013
    Most guilds (like the Revenants) have lesson charts, and if you have the skill, AB SKILLNAME RANKS means you now have a very small amount of work to do to figure this out. If memory serves it's ~900cr to trans a skill.
  • Menoch said:
    If memory serves it's ~900cr to trans a skill.
    I hope that was a typo or a mistake. All the major skills I have transed took ~290 credits, and that's assuming you don't have the 2.5 bonus lessons per credit.
  • The ~900cr figure is the approximation of how many credits you'd need to tri-trans your guild skills.
  • There is also this thing.
    Typo, I hadn't had my coffee yet. What Lalitana said. 900cr for a prof, w/o bonus lessons.
  • Menoch said:
    Typo, I hadn't had my coffee yet. What Lalitana said. 900cr for a prof, w/o bonus lessons.

Abigail said:
    You'll need 5250 lessons, or 875 bound or 618 whole credits, to tri-trans a single profession.

• I'll post in this thread just say what I've always said. Bashing from 1-100 should net you enough lessons/credits to tri-trans your guild skills. Anything more can still be the money train. It's my belief that more people would be hooked into playing longer if they could tri-trans thus be more tempted to buy credits to become more viable in combat.

• Delrayne said:
    I'll post in this thread just say what I've always said. Bashing from 1-100 should net you enough lessons/credits to tri-trans your guild skills. Anything more can still be the money train. It's my belief that more people would be hooked into playing longer if they could tri-trans thus be more tempted to buy credits to become more viable in combat.
    I think tri-trans is a little much. I think having two of your guild skills transed would make sense though. Shouldn't be impossible to bash out enough gold for another trans if you're aspect and have some spare time on your hands.
  • edited February 2013
    As it stands, it's perfectly possible to get to the endgame without spending a single credit. If you want to do things like PVP or crafting, though, you need to pay, or grind endlessly.

I've never reached Aspect, though, so I have no idea how long it'd take to grind up 10 million gold as an Aspect (and I would enjoy knowing.)

However, I agree that you should be able to transcend at least one skill through leveling/achievements.
  • During the last week of the bashing event I got ~600k gold.  That was of course bashing for probably 5-6 hours a day at least and not always in the most lucrative areas. (Hunter squishiness ftl) And no corpse turn-ins (Endless black hole that is Flame belief) But I had fortune favour up constantly. Not sure if anyone can give more accurate numbers.
    I don't keep close track because I'm fairly sure it would make me sad, I just enjoy it when I have gold.

I think it would be very beneficial to be able to trans two skills by level 100. Especially with the way Guild skills seem to be being set up. Main bashing/pvp skill (Shapeshifting), utility skill(Pioneering), pure pvp skill(Supremacy).

People would feel more useful and want to participate in more things, and bashing up 100 credits to pick up a tradeskill/artifact/random other skill is more exciting then the grind to hit trans with your main bashing skill with your attack not being fully effective because of it.
  • To be perfectly honest, giving away free credits and lessons like this wouldn't cause any loss in total revenue, I'd think. More players means more potential people who are willing to pay for credits or elite. If you're not already invested in the game, then it's hard to want to put money into it, but if the games gets you two trans skills(enough to participate in combat, especially shardfalls), then you're participating and wanting more, after being given a taste of what can be.

You'll still need that third trans skill, antidotes, survival, and the like to participate at any competitive level in PvP. You'll still want some artifacts, maybe a statpack change. There's plenty of things that even veteran players of the game still want, which can be bashed towards like an endgame in other MMOs, or bought with cash. I know I still have five thousand artifacts I'm working towards, and I'm excited every time it approaches 20th of the month-- I get to open a phylactery, get two tokens, and more credits!

(seriously make phylacteries perma-purchasable a lot of us want to throw money at you guys)

I would even argue to have two tiers of Elite, one that's the current one, and another that's 5-10 dollars a month, with fewer bonuses. 25 bucks is a lot for some people, especially if Imperian is touted as F2P to begin with. 5 dollars? Pretty much anyone can afford that. I mean, just look at Runescape and how many people can afford membership there.

Micro-transactions are the new thing, and while Imperian doesn't have the population to necessarily make millions on smaller transactions, it will provide people incentive to buy more often if something's cheaper, I think, and once you spend any amount in a game you're likely to stay. Just a couple thoughts.
  • In my opinion, the first one is always free incentive (what up selthis :P) in IRE doesn't quite make it there in terms of enticing them to come back. To put it in a little more graphic terms, it's like offering to hotbox your friend rather than hook em up with a little baggy of their own. There needs to be that one more little thing to push them over the edge.

Like @Gurn said anyone who's spent ANY amount of money on this game is more willing to come back and keep playing. Most people just don't want to shell out a 50-100 bucks or even more than that when they don't fully understand all the mechanics of the game and what all they NEED to be competitive. So give them some smaller, less daunting(read hard to screw up) investments like lessons instead of credits so they can feel safer about what they are buying in terms of their character.

• I think they should seriously consider moving the lessons gained per level from 5 to 10.

Mainly because I think if you change from 5 to the 22 or so lessons per level Selthis suggested, alot of players are going to cry foul, realizing that IRE just in essence gave newer players something for almost nothing when they payed good money or spent alot of time to get to where they are and what they have.

Going from 5  to 10 lessons, I think, isn't crippling or too much of a hand out to bring much angst to the older players. I mean, minus the bound credits, from 1-100 you get 500 lessons now, you get 1000 if you bump it up. 500 lessons is less than 100 credits, or approximately 20 dollars if you bought em from the website. Not a huge thing.
  • I've spent a grip on this game and I'd be completely fine with new characters getting dual-trans from just bashing up to aspect. It'll get people coming back, new players staying more often and people developing different avenues for role-playing with alts. Overall would make for a better, more populated game which makes my investment in my character more worth while.
    edited February 2013
    Or make the lessons retroactive too. For people with omni trans what does it matter, except we get one more guy that apprentices wytch and gets runes/totems, or one more defiler to make/affix hazeward, etc, etc?
  • Menoch said:
    Or make the lessons retroactive too. For people with omni trans what does it matter, except we get one more guy that apprentices wytch and gets runes/totems, or one more defiler to make/affix hazeward, etc, etc?
    Yeah, but what about the huge whores who already have all the professions and are only missing one tradeskill and oh my god what am I doing with my life.
    You can use your retroactive lesson gain to complete that tradeskill, and when you have leftovers, use them for proficiencies. When you have all those, you... classlead new weapons and tradeskills?
  • Or I can switch circles and use the lessons to patch up my NEW professions.

(Dun dun dunnnnnn)
    Don't scare me like that tree-man.