Skip to content

Downtime Q&A with Eoghan

Comments

• I always thought that was because undeath in Imperian is a very specific thing. It was covered in a livestream. Something to do with how there's a spiritual plane, and every living thing has a spirit attached to it, and undead are things lacking that, or things where that connection has been messed with.

Which makes me wonder again, since I can't remember the answer from the livestream:

What are the 'types' of undead? How do they differ?
  • Eoghan said:
    Galt said:
    Knowing that our mortal characters have only seen 1/4 or less of the continent is kind of awesome and crazy all at once.

Will the game continue to expand geographically? Seeing more of the world has always interested me as a player, and one of my favourite happenings in Imperian was when we got Ik'taru expanse, Winde scrublands and the other west-of-Aerish areas added! 
    Not saying no, but not in the short term. Right now, we're largely focusing on making sure the content in the game is up to a good level (with things like quest revamps). There are also existing areas that could use more fleshing out and better lore ties. There are areas on the map that still need to be released, though (and more islands that were in planning stages but never used), as well as other areas of the continent... maybe some day!
    Just to have it said, I support getting everything up to a good standard of quality rather than just tacking on new stuff as many other games do, as much as it's not the "cool" option I guess.
  • Well, players with Necromancy can become undead, right? But they've still got their spirit/soul. Or is that "living spirit" a different thing entirely?
  • Sarrius said:
    I kinda feel like the Horde is old hat. As well, I also feel that the outer world stuff alluded to by Eloweth/Legion memories, the Rashirmir, and the Spirit Realm's possible inhabitants are the real future for Imperian's narrative. That's probably a minority opinion, but it prefaces my question with a bit of context for you.

If enough players made a genuine effort IC (say, on the unification level of when the gods were dying) to gather and strike out for an expedition to strike the Horde where it truly, truly hurts would you take this as a prompt to do something with?

Will you be pursuing the above mentioned non-Horde topics more? It feels like that is the way the game is turning, tbh. Also, what stops these extraplanar/pseudo divine antagonists from doing stuff on the other 75% of Aetherius?

Is the reason we'll never expand to that eastern area, etc that the game world is fairly big as is?

Will we ever get anymore lore on the Plagues? Maybe after a champion system review, I'd assume?

Have you guys ever considered hiring on or asking for a volunteer 'gamemaster'? The game is feeling especially stagnant lately and even mini arcs or someone that facilitates little RP or a 'louder' world would be nice. 

The same, as above, but for writing narrative in general? Fleshing out lore, etc? I suspect neither of these would be fruitful searches for the same reason it is sometimes difficult to find volunteers for normal​ entity positions.

Ok, wow, lots to unpack here.

If there is a large push by players in a particular lore direction, yes, we'll absolutely do something there. It may not be what you're wanting, and I don't personally have a huge draw to kill off the Horde, but SOMETHING in that direction would be possible.

The topics in the Eloweth/Legion memories are near and dear to my heart, and have a lot to do with themes I want to hit really hard. They tie back into the planar mechanics we've talked about in recent livestreams, and into SO MANY cool lore concepts that I can't get into because they're still secret. So that's where my heart is too.

I sort of answered the horde expansion question already, but the answer is multifaceted. The biggest mechanical/OOC reason is that there isn't a need for that type of new content. There are several in-role answers, most of which are still Sekrit Squirrel.

RE: gamemaster/writing - sort of. I can't get into personnel here much. A big part of my role right now is in the codification of lore that either hasn't been fleshed out or is only in Jeremy's head, but that's a full time job on top of my non-Imperian job on top of my coding stuff. More bodies would help, but there are issues there too. That's about as far as I can get into it.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • I sort of answered the horde expansion question already, but the answer is multifaceted. The biggest mechanical/OOC reason is that there isn't a need for that type of new content. There are several in-role answers, most of which are still Sekrit Squirrel.
    I feel like the Horde is simultaneously overdone and unfinished.  It feels like they have a huge number of threads that never were completed satisfactorialy.  I for one would appreciate at least the loose threads here (and elsewhere) being tied up in at least some sort of formal "to be continued" format in the same sort of vein as the quest revamp.
  • Galt said:
    I always thought that was because undeath in Imperian is a very specific thing. It was covered in a livestream. Something to do with how there's a spiritual plane, and every living thing has a spirit attached to it, and undead are things lacking that, or things where that connection has been messed with.

Which makes me wonder again, since I can't remember the answer from the livestream:

Athene said:
    Well, players with Necromancy can become undead, right? But they've still got their spirit/soul. Or is that "living spirit" a different thing entirely?

So... Necromancy is really two different but intimately related arts that both have to do with the separation and mirroring of Physical and Spiritual realms. At its heart, Necromancy is the interference with the natural order there. That DOES NOT mean it can't happen in nature (some LORE shamanism (not to be confused with the profession)) can be considered necromancy (from a lore perspective), and is based on natural occurrence.

This means that Necromancy can manifest as
    1. Corpses raised in an animated form (but without a tie to the Spiritual Realm)
    2. Spirits raised to the Physical Realm (thus displaced)
    3. A combination of the above.
    A practitioner of Necromancy turning themselves into an undead form falls under number 3. The process momentarily separates their Spiritual form (their true soul) from their Physical form, and modifies the physical form in a way that causes benefits. The benefits rise both from the change in form, and from the change in the way the Soul is attached.

(most) Zombies fall into 1. Wraiths typically fall into 2. Intelligent undead (some zombies, liches) fall into 3.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • edited October 2017
    @Jeremy Saunders How does it feel that Mihaly has his own Wikipedia article but yours just redirects to IRE? :^)

(please don't shrub me)
  • I like the horde. 

I feel like the horde could do with more expansion - They used to often just use class skills, be skinned as "Blah Mage", and we've not seen new varieties of horde in a while, or any indication about the various clans/groups that exist within them. 

Which makes me wonder: Might we see differentiation in kinds of horde? Subfactions within the horde, with clear behavioural/attack/tactical differences? 
  • Eoghan said:
    Galt said:
    I always thought that was because undeath in Imperian is a very specific thing. It was covered in a livestream. Something to do with how there's a spiritual plane, and every living thing has a spirit attached to it, and undead are things lacking that, or things where that connection has been messed with.

Athene said:
    Well, players with Necromancy can become undead, right? But they've still got their spirit/soul. Or is that "living spirit" a different thing entirely?

So... Necromancy is really two different but intimately related arts that both have to do with the separation and mirroring of Physical and Spiritual realms. At its heart, Necromancy is the interference with the natural order there. That DOES NOT mean it can't happen in nature (some LORE shamanism (not to be confused with the profession)) can be considered necromancy (from a lore perspective), and is based on natural occurrence.

1. Corpses raised in an animated form (but without a tie to the Spiritual Realm)
    A practitioner of Necromancy turning themselves into an undead form falls under number 3. The process momentarily separates their Spiritual form (their true soul) from their Physical form, and modifies the physical form in a way that causes benefits. The benefits rise both from the change in form, and from the change in the way the Soul is attached.

(most) Zombies fall into 1. Wraiths typically fall into 2. Intelligent undead (some zombies, liches) fall into 3.
    Class mechanic/lore question time to piggy back off these and your answers to me..

What's going on with 'Illwill', as per Curses? What is that, if not magick? Is it channeling actual energy from the Spirit Realm - if so, are Shamans robbing spirits of this power or are they bargaining for it?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Galt said:
    I like the horde. 

I feel like the horde could do with more expansion - They used to often just use class skills, be skinned as "Blah Mage", and we've not seen new varieties of horde in a while, or any indication about the various clans/groups that exist within them. 

Which makes me wonder: Might we see differentiation in kinds of horde? Subfactions within the horde, with clear behavioural/attack/tactical differences? 
    We revamped a number of areas as the Eastern Horde stamped out their weak brethren in the west. There were allusions (and some mob differences) seen during those events. The different leaders of caravans also allude to some faction differences. It could (and should/probably will eventually) be fleshed out more.

• I'll have to take a look at that stuff then! I missed so much.

Are giants part of the horde, or a distinct race that allied with them? I only ask because I know in some fantasy settings, giants are a distinct thing that tends to get lumped in with horde equivalents.
  • Giants are cool. I wanna see more giants. Blame my Norse mythology bender.
  • Sarrius said:
    Eoghan said:
    Galt said:

Athene said:

Class mechanic/lore question time to piggy back off these and your answers to me..

What's going on with 'Illwill', as per Curses? What is that, if not magick? Is it channeling actual energy from the Spirit Realm - if so, are Shamans robbing spirits of this power or are they bargaining for it?
    The Curses skill is complicated to answer from a lore perspective because it's gone through different iterations over the history of the game. The word "illwill" no longer appears anywhere in the attack messages, etc, and doesn't apply as a modern concept.

In the current incarnation, the Curses skill (like all shamanism abilities) has to do with the (if you want to be harsh) interference with or (if you want to be nicer) manipulation of the Natural order around a particular individual. (Nature with a big N, which is a specific, real thing in Aetherius).

Shamanism as a class draws its power from a connection with Nature.
  • Galt said:
    I'll have to take a look at that stuff then! I missed so much.

Are giants part of the horde, or a distinct race that allied with them? I only ask because I know in some fantasy settings, giants are a distinct thing that tends to get lumped in with horde equivalents.
    Athene said:
    Giants are cool. I wanna see more giants. Blame my Norse mythology bender.
    Wibbly wobbly Moradeim-y stuff.
  • Eoghan said:
    Galt said:

Athene said:
    (Fun fact: the horde (particularly orcs) MAY NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH MORADEIM #hotfire #droppingknowledge)
  • I think I'm caught up. If I missed your question let me know.
  • Oh!

This might be secret, but the horde use demon-based magicks, elemental magicks and necromancy - But not devotion!

Are they incapable of using devotion?

Did they learn any magick from us, or us from them?
  • Eoghan said:
    (Fun fact: the horde (particularly orcs) MAY NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH MORADEIM #hotfire #droppingknowledge)
    Well, since the fall of Caanae happened at the hands of orcs, trolls, and etc only a hundred years after the Sundering, and the first non-human races of Aetherius didn't mutate from Moradeim's influence until centuries afterward...
  • edited October 2017
    Galt said:
    Oh!

This might be secret, but the horde use demon-based magicks, elemental magicks and necromancy - But not devotion!

Are they incapable of using devotion?

Did they learn any magick from us, or us from them?
    WHO KNOWS (no really, who knows. @Jeremy Saunders maybe?)

Pre-fourth age, I'm not personally aware of any lore involving Devotion use in the Horde (or Horde deities as the mortal races of the west understand them) but I don't know 100% that I'm right there.

As we've seen, though, that doesn't stop them from having an evolved Entity post-fourth age.
  • edited October 2017
    Athene said:
    Eoghan said:
    Well, since the fall of Caanae happened at the hands of orcs, trolls, and etc only a hundred years after the Sundering, and the first non-human races of Aetherius didn't mutate from Moradeim's influence until centuries afterward...
    That doesn't mean they COULDN'T come about as a result of Moradeim's forces at an accelerated rate. It does seem unlikely though, hm?

No horde origin spoilers, though.
  • I SAID NO SPOILERS (but also that line may be not be 100% accurate)
  • Eoghan said:
    I SAID NO SPOILERS (but also that line may be not be 100% accurate)
    For the most part, the histories are written from the perspective of the western mortal races. While they are MOSTLY accurate, there may be some inaccuracies (not ALL of which are because of retcons)
  • Eoghan said:
    Sarrius said:

The Curses skill is complicated to answer from a lore perspective because it's gone through different iterations over the history of the game. The word "illwill" no longer appears anywhere in the attack messages, etc, and doesn't apply as a modern concept.

In the current incarnation, the Curses skill (like all shamanism abilities) has to do with the (if you want to be harsh) interference with or (if you want to be nicer) manipulation of the Natural order around a particular individual. (Nature with a big N, which is a specific, real thing in Aetherius).

Cool on that 'Nature' bit. Any chance you could (or will) expound on that? Are you implying Nature is enough of a metaphysical force in Aetherius that it has 'gravity' over Diachaim, deliberately or accidentally?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited October 2017
    Anyway, and this is important to a particular belief I thought up for Athene:

Does everyone get sent back by Charon when they die, or just adventurers? If the latter, why just specific people? Would it be reasonable to justify named denizens respawning by saying that Charon saves them from the Legion like he does us?

Also, Thanatos was the only one to really "survive" the deaths of the Gods, although you guys say he died after he went to the Demon Plane. That must have been an epic as hell final battle; will it ever get expounded on?
  • Eoghan said:
    Eoghan said:
    Galt said:

Athene said:
    Orcs confirmed as the real forgotten/discarded precursor to other mortal life? :(
  • Sarrius said:
    Eoghan said:
    Sarrius said:

Cool on that 'Nature' bit. Any chance you could (or will) expound on that? Are you implying Nature is enough of a metaphysical force in Aetherius that it has 'gravity' over Diachaim, deliberately or accidentally?
    It's complicated. Yes, it has some influence over Diachaim (and Shattered Diachaim (in part through things referred to as Earth magick, in part through abilities of Druids, etc)). This has to do with several things in-lore. The largest of them has to do with (for lack of a better word) "aspects" that were governed over by different Divine. Not to be confused with Aspects of the Moons. This goes deep into Imperian's creation myth, which is largely untold.
  • Eoghan said:
    Sarrius said:
    Eoghan said:
    Sarrius said:

It's complicated. Yes, it has some influence over Diachaim (and Shattered Diachaim (in part through things referred to as Earth magick, in part through abilities of Druids, etc)). This has to do with several things in-lore. The largest of them has to do with (for lack of a better word) "aspects" that were governed over by different Divine. Not to be confused with Aspects of the Moons. This goes deep into Imperian's creation myth, which is largely untold.
    When you say aspects, you are probably referring to what some 'deity-heavy' worlds refer to as 'portfolios'? Abstract example: the God of Trickery having 'Trickery' as his literal portfolio and thus having agency/stewardship over it as a powerful concept. If so: is it a viable assumption that, without stewards, that 'power' just went unchecked and decided to do its own thing?

Man, Imperian lore is better than I give it credit for sometimes. :)
  • edited October 2017
    Athene said:
    Anyway, and this is important to a particular belief I thought up for Athene:

Does everyone get sent back by Charon when they die, or just adventurers? If the latter, why just specific people? Would it be reasonable to justify named denizens respawning by saying that Charon saves them from the Legion like he does us?

Also, Thanatos was the only one to really "survive" the deaths of the Gods, although you guys say he died after he went to the Demon Plane. That must have been an epic as hell final battle; will it ever get expounded on?
    Thanatos is dead. His final story may never be told. (It might. It might not. I don't think we have a plan to do it, but it would be cool. But so is it remaining shrouded in mystery).

Regarding resurrection: Some (but not all) mortals are "marked" (originally, this was explained as being marked by Avasyu, but now that he's dead I don't have a specific answer to it in-lore). Not everyone is special, though. Unnamed mobs can generally be considered different when they come back (though that isn't always the case).

It is definitely NOT true that all people can be brought back by Charon. Historically, those that can't wandered the underworld as lost souls until led to the Mirror of Living Flesh to be recycled into a new mortal being. What happens now that the mirror is shattered? CRAZY LORE THINGS.
  • Where do all the undead jesters in demon's pass come from?

Is someone giving corpses scepters and jester costumes, or does Imperian have a huge number of hidden jesters, who often die and come back?
This discussion has been closed.