Skip to content

Leylines, surges, and conflict

Today's outrageous idea: leyline surges!

Reason for posting and my question to each of you
@Jeremy Saunders invited us to provide our feedback and ideas for the conflict systems of our choosing. In lieu of muddying up the leylines thread specifically, I figured I'd condense my current pet idea in one post. I've run this by a few different types of players and I cannot help but notice that each of them saw something in it, but I could not for the life of me get them to admit to what they thought was a proper reward for victory. I'd like to turn it over to each of you and see what you do with it.

Leylines
I think leylines are a blast, conceptually. They're more popular than it might have been originally assumed to be, and I think we should do something with them now. We have the makings of many different possible territory control systems and there's a lot of potential moving pieces that could turn this in to the next 'big thing' for Imperian. What I'd like to do is introduce a leyline conflict system in one of two models:

1. A large network of leylines, mapped out with connections via already existing 'adjacent areas' data. Because Lore, these areas sometimes have outpourings of energy that threaten to surge more wildly than normal, sending that energy elsewhere.. like an adjacent leyline. If this energy meets similar wild surges from elsewhere, Event happens. Resolution of this Event results in that area retaining a natural inclination towards the circle it was influenced to until the next time it wildly surges. An area that has had its leyline manipulated enough in a certain time period will automatically trigger an event of this nature as well or possibly just automatically trigger this surge.

2. A list of 'significant leylines' that are more powerful than normal ones. Because Lore, each of these areas are super important and have unique energies entwined in their leylines. A circle can turn this energy to use in some fashion after fighting to capture it in an Event. In this model, certain areas could be PvE challenges instead of PvP challenges. These Events occur at a rate that they can be held for a varying amount of time by the victor (so they can enjoy their spoils) and they become up for grabs again. These could be spaced out appropriate so we don't reach total fatigue with the system, and I'd ideally want to disjoint the timers on the windows so that each objective slides from timezone to timezone over the course of a few weeks, keeping it generally in flux.

The Event
The event would be a battle to capture control of the area. During this event, rules are introduced from a list of possible results - these rules influence how the engagement or even how the event will go. This is something I have not refined entirely, but the intention is to keep each encounter fresh, require some tactical approach that differs from event to event, etc. I think these should be rules that effect the 'landscape' of how combat will go in that area for duration of the event. Some rules would change the event to a PvE encounter instead of a PvP hotspot.

Ideally, I'd like for events triggering to only partially be in the hands of players. As an olive branch to those that find this distasteful, I would offer the addition of some way to artificially make these events happen sooner. You could use the number of rules or perhaps the generation of said rules as a trade off for this opportunity. In the significant areas model, areas could always possess X rule, but artificially starting an event would add another random rule on top, or maybe have no rules at all.

I probably didn't learn my lesson about examples..
In the best interest of illustrating my idea with some examples, I'd like to provide you some starting points if you'd like to tack on in other ways or maybe just need some ideas:

'Significant leylines' location examples :
Caanae - notable in history, etc
Any god temple/all god temples - interesting idea in that access to their temples publicly could be a minor additional prize.
Any location of a significant battle or modern event

'Rules' examples :
'Three man enter, one man leave' - Only 1 player from each circle allowed in the area for now (pls no flame)
'Moradeim's Ray' - some whacky change thing
'canopy of diachaim' - entire area is indoors
'copper-tinged wisps of diachaim' - everybody holds the effects of the copper slab in area, copper slab holder still gets their bonus? (kill me)
'intersected with a foreign realm' - chooses realm from a list, perhaps influenced by affinity at time of event.. swarms area w/ a bunch of mobs for a mini-plague event.
'chill of the grave' - all players that die in this area behave as if inhumed
'scorched by the Seven Suns' - area acts as if Mage Flamepillar is active (wild example)

I think there's a lot of fluff and room for replay in this kind of model. I honestly just can't dial in a good reward system. Input?

<div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>

Comments

• edited August 2017
    @Sarrius and I chatted about this idea a bit.. my input is..

If we have an area that gets controlled, I'd like to see a special reward there. So, a dungeon or access to a boss that only the controlling circle can access while they control the area. And that boss can drop temp artifacts that are ONLY available through the boss. Sort of like how the special shards powers are only available through shards.

The artifacts should benefit every type of player -> PvP, PvE, RP?
    Edit: Please give us the tiniest, smallest, littlest, barely a chance, but still a chance to roll a PERM artifact. Can be one of the ones that already exist. And give it no tradein value to balance. Shouldn't be for the person that gets the last night either, but maybe make it like a promo so the group that downs the boss can figure it out themselves in some way.

PvP - Don't know what you guys want, so PvPers chime in.
    PvE - Crit bonus arti that stacks with others, damage bonus, etc
    RP  - This one is hard, but some silly stuff would be fun. A whistle that calls some dwarf down to bring you a beer. Along those lines.

It'll be up to the controlling circle to defend it should the area be attacked. The attackers have to gather resources to attack it or it can  be on a timer that happens every X amount of hours. I like the idea of resources more though, since it dumps resources from the game.

X amount of food for troops
    X amount of stone for catapaults
    X amount of water for troops
    Etc..

And we could get NPCs on our side to help us defend too, so similar to guards but not as crazy. Both sides can have seige weapons, but they must be controlled by a player. Whilst inside the seige vehicles you take no damage and all damage goes to seige vehicle(I think this will encourage younger/less artifact players to participate since they can survive longer while still being a tremendous help). So, if you see a seige vehicle rolling towards the area upon the horizon, you better shift your party to attack it. Victory is called if you infiltrate their base and bust down something that has X value for health or something similar.

Awards available for all types of players I believe would encourage participation from all types. The problem with conflict right now for people starting combat or newbies is, there is a giant paywall to push through and I hate hearing them say they don't feel they're any help because of their level, lack of trans skills, or artifacts. Because you know they want to help and they go out there and die continuously while being 1-2 hit by artifacted titans.

Not dumping on artifact users, but I want to give newer players a chance to participate in conflict events, etc.
    You say, "Oh crap."
    You say, "My bottle is empty."
    Jeremy raises an eyebrow questioningly.
    Jeremy slaps you on the cheek.
  • Wyll said:

If we have an area that gets controlled, I'd like to see a special reward there. So, a dungeon or access to a boss that only the controlling circle can access while they control the area. And that boss can drop temp artifacts that are ONLY available through the boss. Sort of like how the special shards powers are only available through shards. 
    Instead of doing it this way, which is clunky and somewhat similar to existing mechanics, divide the game up into regions and run them that way.

Randomly, or predictably as a result of player input to allow for planning, a region would go into flux and allow the laylines to manifest more strongly. During this period, players would be fighting for control of geographically adjacent but mechanically distinct areas of the map. This would diminish the advantages of turtling or ranged attacks on area control, because you'd be fighting over different areas.

For example, say the Northwest Region were to flux spontaneously. Players would have to scramble to lock down the Aoash, Reate Forest, Iaat Valley, Magglix, and maybe even Northreach all at once. They would have to control the tides of power in those areas by taking over the leylines, and then hold them using a CTF style mechanic long enough to gain control.
    You grabbed my hand and we fell into it
    Like a daydream.. or a fever
  • Naruj said:
    Wyll said:

Instead of doing it this way, which is clunky and somewhat similar to existing mechanics, divide the game up into regions and run them that way.

Randomly, or predictably as a result of player input to allow for planning, a region would go into flux and allow the laylines to manifest more strongly. During this period, players would be fighting for control of geographically adjacent but mechanically distinct areas of the map. This would diminish the advantages of turtling or ranged attacks on area control, because you'd be fighting over different areas.

For example, say the Northwest Region were to flux spontaneously. Players would have to scramble to lock down the Aoash, Reate Forest, Iaat Valley, Magglix, and maybe even Northreach all at once. They would have to control the tides of power in those areas by taking over the leylines, and then hold them using a CTF style mechanic long enough to gain control.

Yes, that was my idea. I just had an idea for rewards for an area is all. I think when it was brought up, the idea was there would  be a different type of 'game' or each area. I think the original idea revolved around old temples though, but don't quote me on that.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • One thing I think we really should avoid is any more PVE tanking bonuses, crit bonuses etc.

Crit boosts are already getting a little out of hand, between sunburst, earrings and the shard skill.
  • Galt said:
    One thing I think we really should avoid is any more PVE tanking bonuses, crit bonuses etc.

Crit boosts are already getting a little out of hand, between sunburst, earrings and the shard skill.
    Why? The only thing people seem to have an issue with is PvP because it impacts combat balance. PvE is me against a random mob. Beside boss mobs, hunting in general is not engaging and it's not exactly fun. People do it to level for aspect perks past 100. Anything that helps that in anyway is a bonus, imo.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • Because the slow bloat of bashing buffs and bonuses only serves to widen the potential gold earned between established players and newbies, and that's a bad thing.

As for aspect perks, I hope that paid monoliths go the way of the dodos and the system returns to being the 1v1/small group conflict driver it was before. Perma monoliths are a horrible idea and ruined a great conflict system.
  • While I don't think adding PvE benefits would necessarily be bad, I don't think leylines are the system to get that from. I support the general lattice/connected area idea, and would like to see that influence the % influence (which caps at 10% now?). That way, when someone wants to troll and influence [Area Adjacent to City], if that city has a good area buffer, it either takes oodles more shards or is effectively impossible.

Other than that, I think that surges and cosmetic effects are all it needs. I think aspect is actually a better place for odd competitive group events.

I wouldn't mind maybe organizational power skills linked to obelisk control. Control X obelisk, and at controlled leylines you can do the thing for energy or shards or quartz or whatever resource. Nature might be a warhorn/faster mob respawns for a time, Aryana area-wide regen, etc, Truesight a free area scan for a while, etc.
  • edited August 2017
    The problem is we cannot 'scout's honor' the fact that we'll use the system long term, I don't think Jeremy will buy that promise from us at all. The system has to contain tangible benefits that will entice people to repeatedly engage.

I think, if nothing else, the 'rules' idea inside of this proposal is worth salvaging in some system in the game.

@Naruj idea of 'regional' leyline surges is an interesting idea because it also spreads teams thin, effectively engineering environments where 1-4 vs 1-4, etc might happen - these are, imo, some of the best team combat ranges.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Right now some PvE rewrd(shard skills) are tied into PvP(being in a conflict zone and putting yourself in conflict to attain them). Personally, I don't see any of that changing anytime soon. Which is fine, but if I am mainly into PvE, I want to be enticed to help my circle and those benefits should be worth it for me to keep repeatedly joining conflict. Even if it is a 1% crit bonus, I'm going to do it.

The gap between newbies and artifact'd players isn't going to be severely widen by by this idea of PvE items dropping. In fact, it'd help, because the items I am suggesting would be temp. Just like now when I get temp artifacts from bosses.. as I generally have whatever is dropped, I will find a newbie to give it to them.

If you want to lessen the artifact gap between newbie and veteran, you have to put in mechanics that allow newbs to help and help in a worthwhile way without them dying in 2 seconds(see above seige idea). Or that newbie has to drop literally thousands of dollars into the game to be up to par.

As far as gold goes for newbies, unless they are level 100 and bash in a handful of areas, they won't be making that much gold anyways. And that really isn't an issue that admin can address without upping the gold drops in newbie areas, where then you will see veteran players just stomping through and collecting the gold/corpses anyways.
    You say, "Oh crap."