Skip to content

New Artifacts Wishlist

Comments

• A portable wheel for @Wyll.

You can call it a Wyll wheel.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • @Theophilus, you take your upvtoe and you get out.
    You say, "Oh crap."
    You say, "My bottle is empty."
    Jeremy raises an eyebrow questioningly.
    Jeremy slaps you on the cheek.
  • I was thinking about this recently, actually.

A mob that, for 500K (non-negligible) you can visit and who will allow you to ELOPE WITH (sweetheart) without the 2 year requirement.

A mob that for 100K can marry you and your sweetheart after the 2 year requirement is filled.

And a mob that, for 500k (non-negligible), one time, will allow you to ANNUL MARRIAGE, removing 1 divorce from your honors.
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • Name change artifact. One use.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • Wyll said:
    Name change artifact. One use.
    Sorry, this one will definitely never happen.

Caelya said:
    It feels like this has been asked for before, but an artifact that emulates AB PREDATION LURE would be amazing. Edit: It would only work on non-loyal mobs.
    This is requested often, but it is not something we want to create, for a variety of reasons. Lure is a problematic skill to balance already, and making it generally available would cause further issues. Bashing is also already pretty easy, and we don't want to make it considerably easier.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • @Eoghan, why though? Too complicated? The name change is possible for lower level character below 30. Don't see why it is such a big deal for higher levels.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • Wyll said:
    @Eoghan, why though? Too complicated? The name change is possible for lower level character below 30. Don't see why it is such a big deal for higher levels.
    A number of reasons, only some of them technical. At the end of the day, we don't want established characters to be able to hide from their past.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • edited March 2017
    @Eoghan , this is exactly why though. Sometimes you need a fresh start and losing half the value you've invested to retire isn't ideal. Of course, it means more revenue for you guys, so I get that. Sometimes you also hate the name you picked when you thought it was a great idea to create a character at 3AM. Just sayin'.

On the same hand, players past seem to have very little meaning in Imperian. There are players who jump from city to city and circle to circle with very little consequences when the whole thing with this game is magick versus anti-magick versus demonic. What difference does it make? So, I don't exactly buy that excuse. Especially when the main focus here seems to be PKPK and not RPRP.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • DecDec
    edited March 2017
    Names are one of the few immutable things in the game. Accordingly, there are lots of things that use names as a key.  (Eg logs) Even ignoring the reason Eoghan gave, it would probably take months just to switch things that are name based to something else and back convert all our data. It's really not worth expending the limited resources for something most people don't care about. 

As to why we allow name change for under level 30, it's because people don't know the game when they start and may make a glaring mistake in picking a name. (IE MrSparklesPants) The game mostly treats the name change as a new character with a copy of the essential database entries. This only really works because someone under level 30 hasn't made so much of an impact so it is possible for one of to manually figure out what's going on if need be. But I'd bet we'd probably get rid of that exception before we'd allow general name changes. 

Plus I'd imagine people would just demand some way to tell all the names a character had previously precisely because they don't want people to have a fresh start. 
  • @Dec, from what I recall, the logs currently automatically update to let the relevant organizations know of the name change. So, I figured you guys already had this in place. As for the comment about expending resources on something most people don't care about, you guys expend resources on areas that only a select group of people care about while ignoring other types of players all together. So, yeah, not buying that either. But that's all I'll say about that.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • As someone with a :| name, I'd be okay with having a way for people to tell who I was if it meant I get to change it. Not that it's a big deal for me, but just sayin'
  • Gjarrus said:
    As someone with a :| name, I'd be okay with having a way for people to tell who I was if it meant I get to change it. Not that it's a big deal for me, but just sayin'
    When you ask for quality of life improving artifacts and they shoot you down!
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • Wyll said:
    @Dec, from what I recall, the logs currently automatically update to let the relevant organizations know of the name change. So, I figured you guys already had this in place. As for the comment about expending resources on something most people don't care about, you guys expend resources on areas that only a select group of people care about while ignoring other types of players all together. So, yeah, not buying that either. But that's all I'll say about that.
    The logs do not show a namechange, actually, at least not to the city. 
    And speaking as somebody who played this games in the throes of mental illness and then in the progressive and magickal time in recovery, and as character named Oystir, I still think a fresh start for a character should mean a new investment. Retirement exists so your investment isn't exactly a meaningless sacrifice if you hate your character. 
  • Oystir said:
    Wyll said:
    @Dec, from what I recall, the logs currently automatically update to let the relevant organizations know of the name change. So, I figured you guys already had this in place. As for the comment about expending resources on something most people don't care about, you guys expend resources on areas that only a select group of people care about while ignoring other types of players all together. So, yeah, not buying that either. But that's all I'll say about that.
    The logs do not show a namechange, actually, at least not to the city. 
    And speaking as somebody who played this games in the throes of mental illness and then in the progressive and magickal time in recovery, and as character named Oystir, I still think a fresh start for a character should mean a new investment. Retirement exists so your investment isn't exactly a meaningless sacrifice if you hate your character. 

Well.. let me show you something..

This character is not eligible for retirement. You would need to increase its worth by 14639 credits.

That's from me winning at the wheel when I didn't even win that much. That was also 18-19K in debt and it only dropped that much  because I bought literally over 6K in credits from the website in the last 30 days. It simply is not an option for some of us because the game doesn't calculate losses into the math of your retirement value and only your winnings.

So, I could have used the 6K I bought on another character and have a retirement value there, but why would I when I have so much crap on Wyll already? So no, some of us don't have that option to retire.

Also, I've seen the logs happen. Whether or not it is city or guild, I can't recall, but some where out there some log does show the namechange happening.

You say, "Oh crap."
  • An artifact that allows you not to ping all of your mutual allies when you login. Could be toggled on and off, depending on how feasible it even is.

• Some more behaviors would be nice. I'll never get one for assassin if the only available modification is for garrote, no matter what they look like.

(As would gmcp action breakdowns so I could turn behaviors on without doing 8 more years of message collection.)
  • Caelya said:
    An artifact that allows you not to ping all of your mutual allies when you login. Could be toggled on and off, depending on how feasible it even is.
    I feel like a CONFIG option would suffice here. Paying credits for an artifact that does this sounds utterly ridiculous to me.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Caelya said:
    An artifact that allows you not to ping all of your mutual allies when you login. Could be toggled on and off, depending on how feasible it even is.
    I feel like a CONFIG option would suffice here. Paying credits for an artifact that does this sounds utterly ridiculous to me.
    What's weird is that it's an artifact everywhere else!
  • Fanglor said:
    Caelya said:
    What's weird is that it's an artifact everywhere else!
    Strange indeed.. Good thing Imperian is a trailblazer!

• A training dummy that can be set up anywhere for people to use player only moves on and test with. Aodan wants a training room in his house so he can work on everything combat xD
  • @Eoghan said this is asked for a lot and that it is "not a trivial amount of work" ~
  • Yeah. That's one that is unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever, sorry.
  • an amplifying horn of sarcasm
  • A thin square of wood - Don't use it for Kindleing! This piece of wood can link to a library and give you reading access wherever you are.
  • LaekaLaeka Houston
    edited May 2017
    How about instead of a name change artifact, we can get an artifact that lets us make a alias for ourselves. It would act sort of like a permanent mimic, but it would be a new name instead of someone else's name. Your 'true' name would still exist so there would be no need to change logs or anything like that.  Basically it would add this 'alias' to your keyword list for your player and would change the shown name to that alias when you activate the artifact.  Grant it, I don't know anything about the code that IRE uses, but this is something is done/can be done quite easily on various other game engines. (RPI, Diku, etc) 
  • As I mentioned, technical limitations are only part of the problem. Something like what you describe would be possible (though would require some work, as many things reference the raw name), but it isn't something we're going to add. We will not be adding a way for any established character to change their name in any fashion.