Skip to content

Wheel "bug"

edited February 2017 in General Discussion
So, I got shrubbed for what I can only assume was, at the very least, in Jeremy's eyes as abusing a "bug" with the wheel. To the best of my knowledge, it was myself and another player who spun the wheel last night during the wheel hours.

Here is the thing though, I would not have spun it that many times had I known it was a bug. It is the first day of the promotion and I simply thought the prizes had gotten better. I was even told back then(when the wheel first came around) by other players that the wheel was giving crazy good prizes. I thought maybe this was case this time too. Imagine my excitement when I logged in today and saw the wheel was back.

My question is then, why are we punished for a "bug" if we are not aware it is a bug? It is the game's main promotion for this month and to push the blame onto players for a mistake/oversight on the admin's part is hardly fair. And to shrub players without even speaking to them is even worse. Promotions change every month. How am I to know what is a bug with a promotion if it is different each time?
You say, "Oh crap."
You say, "My bottle is empty."
Jeremy raises an eyebrow questioningly.
Jeremy slaps you on the cheek.

Comments

• As Sarapis & Makarios say in Achaea:
    "If it's too good to be true, it most likely is."

If you noticed something was 'crazy good' then you should have suspected something was up, and stopped doing it immediately. "I didn't know," doesn't generally cut it in cases like this; if you didn't do it to an extent that stood out to the admin, you wouldn't have been shrubbed, and instead would have had the items removed.

If you did to it to an extent that stood out to admin (as you obviously did), then it's quite obvious that it was something that was "too good to be true," and thus your own fault.
  • It never crossed my mind that this could be a bug. Like I said, I wasn't the only one spinning. Some promotions are better than other and also, when the wheel first came out players won quite a bit of credits.

I understand "I didn't know" isn't a valid excuse if it is breaking a rule or law. If I murdered someone and claimed "I didn't know" it wouldn't be valid. I get that. This just seems like a major oversight on the admin's part because it wasn't like I was the lone offender. There were others. If more than one person made the mistake, it isn't an isolated incident.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • Wyll said:

There were others.

You're not the only one who got shrubbed, either.

It's not an 'admin oversight' - admin can't predict every single bug that MIGHT crop up; that's exactly why you're asked to report it if you suspect you're getting more than you should be. It really is cut and dry here.

You're right; some promos are better than others. No promo, however, awards repeatedly high payouts in quick succession. Your fault.
  • Aysari said:

Wyll said:

There were others.

You're not the only one who got shrubbed, either.

It's not an 'admin oversight' - admin can't predict every single bug that MIGHT crop up; that's exactly why you're asked to report it if you suspect you're getting more than you should be. It really is cut and dry here.

You're right; some promos are better than others. No promo, however, awards repeatedly high payouts in quick succession. Your fault.
    If multiple players didn't think it was a bug, that is the problem.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • edited February 2017
    Wyll said:

If multiple players didn't think it was a bug, that is the problem.

If multiple players didn't think getting huge payouts from a promo was a bug, then as I said: It is their own fault.

It is not rocket science.
  • edited February 2017
    I will say it can be sometimes hard to tell. Especially if you were not there for the -last- time they bugged the wheel too. Are you on a win streak and just lucky? Or is it bugged and giving slightly more than it should? Did they rig the system so it pays off more? No. We're unable to see the percentages and win rates its the Admins who need to be ontop of that stuff
  • edited February 2017
    Sumie said:

I will say it can be sometimes hard to tell. Especially if you were not there for the -last- time they bugged the wheel too. Are you on a win streak and just lucky? Or is it bugged and giving slightly more than it should? Did they rig the system so it pays off more? No. We're unable to see the percentages and win rates its the Admins who need to be ontop of that stuff

Seconded. I know one thing--I'm not spinning anymore, because I have no idea whether I'm super lucky (as I usually am) or if it's bugged.

I hope your shrub is temporary @wyll.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • I've currently only shrubbed two players. Both spun the wheel hundreds of times over the course of a few hours. I really have no idea how anyone could think that a promotion giving you an endless amount of credits could possibly not be a bug.

• I spun a lot, but I also lost a lot of credits buying more spins and receiving ethereal junk from the wheel. The wheel was behaving just like HELP WHEEL said it would, so I didn't think it was a bugged.

If you won 2,000+ credits in the span of a couple of hours, though (and some say one person won 9,000), then yeah.. it's pretty obvious something is wrong.

I think I netted 700 credits after 3-4 hours or so when all was said and done.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • edited February 2017
    This was exactly it. There was three of us spinning and one player didn't get as lucky. This is why it never occurred to me that it was a bug. I can see I won't be unshrubbed, so this is it for me and any IRE games. I'm a casual player, but have never cheated or taken advantage of any MUDs in all the years I've played. This was an honest mistake, whether anyone want to believe it or not.

And no one won 9000 credits. I don't know what the payout rate is or was supposed to be, so there was no way for me to gauge what is right and what isn't. Also to note, there was 7 players on at the time when we were spinning. I initially won the jackpot because the counter was low and I traded in artifacts to spin. This is how I was able to continue playing. It was early hours and the date is 2/1, so I can only assume the promotion had just begun. I can only assume if it was a more populated time more people would have spun the wheel.

I want to believe IRE is a company. They certainly make themselves out to be, but they prove time and time again they cannot handle players and issues professionally. No game bans you at this extreme without an email or notice of some sort. And certainly none hold you accountable for their bugged game.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • @Wyll see about that. *shakes fist*
  • Definitely waiting for the all clear post on the next Wheel promo.
  • edited February 2017
    I'm bothered by the chain of events here, and have asked Jeremy to have a closer look as to whether a shrubbing was at all justified. He was traveling when this happened, which may have contributed to him not looking closely enough, I don't know. I have no problem with summarily banning players who are obviously cheating but I'm not convinced that Wyll and the other person that was banned knew they were. Some further investigation is needed once Jeremy gets home (he's on a plane currently), and if Wyll and the other person were banned in error, they will of course be unshrubbed immediately and we'll make things right with them.

(Erm, for the record, this is Matt Mihály, the CEO of Iron Realms.)
  • I thought it was a bit reactionary myself.. @Sarapis

Thanks for easing my mind. Several of us got messages that read:

"Your spin amount is borderline abuse. Do not move any credits around. I am travelling home today and I will
    look at this tonight."

I've been paranoid and anxious all day. Though Jeremy did tell me not to worry--he said he would take a closer look. So I think he's trying to sort it all out.

• I thought it was a bit reactionary myself.. @Sarapis

Thanks for easing my mind. Several of us got messages that read:

"Your spin amount is borderline abuse. Do not move any credits around. I am travelling home today and I will
    look at this tonight."

I've been paranoid and anxious all day. Though Jeremy did tell me not to worry--he said he would take a closer look. So I think he's trying to sort it all out.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry. If you weren't acting in bad faith, it won't be a problem. I'm assuming he was just in a rush.
  • We were told not to move credits around; does that mean we can't spin right now? 50 spins until the grand prize. :neutral:

• Sarapis said:

I'm bothered by the chain of events here, and have asked Jeremy to have a closer look as to whether a shrubbing was at all justified. He was traveling when this happened, which may have contributed to him not looking closely enough, I don't know. I have no problem with summarily banning players who are obviously cheating but I'm not convinced that Wyll and the other person that was banned knew they were. Some further investigation is needed once Jeremy gets home (he's on a plane currently), and if Wyll and the other person were banned in error, they will of course be unshrubbed immediately and we'll make things right with them.

(Erm, for the record, this is Matt Mihály, the CEO of Iron Realms.)

I appreciate your reply. And it also brings to light that other players didn't realize what was going on either if they received a message that their spins were borderline abuse. Like @Theophilus, I was also getting a lot of junk so thought everything was normal.

Again, I appreciate you looking into the matter and look forward to continuing to play Imperian.
    You say, "Oh crap."
  • I know Wyll and he's not a dishonest guy, he's a gambler, if he said he didn't know, you can bank on that.
  • edited February 2017

We were told not to move credits around; does that mean we can't spin right now? 50 spins until the grand prize. :neutral:

Reason for that is because if someone was intentionally scamming the system and then distributing credits around, it's a manual process to track it all down and reverse it. Again, just an assumption on my part though.
  • You can spin now. That is fine.

I am looking more into the logs here. I was traveling cross country yesterday and this all went down as I was trying to leave. If I was mistaken in this event, I will apologize and make reparations. I cannot think of any case where something like this has happened and that the players involved did not know what was going on. That said, based on the reaction, that is looking like it may be the case. I have unshrubbed the two characters and will be spending the rest of the day looking into it.

• This might be flagged as off-topic, but four spins netted me: ethereal boots, ethereal cloak, a boar mount, and a map fragment.

There is a fine balance between 'too good to be true' and 'pure garbage.' If I bought 5 spins at $45.00, I would've been pretty upset.

• Keep in mind, different pools. All the new items are currently in the website paid spins.

• We appreciate you, @Jeremy. We really do.

• @Jeremy, thanks!

You say, "Oh crap."