Skip to content

Shardfall and PVP activity

13»

Comments

• Skye said:

Obviously I'm not much of a combatant or anything, but classes definitely feel harder and more complex now. Once upon a time I used to feel like I could competently use a handful of different professions even if I wasn't great at it. Nowadays I hardly feel like I know what I'm doing without a set of instructions and even then I stuff it up pretty easily. This could partially be because I'm not keen on change and learning these new things, but it does really feel that things used to be simpler.

I'd both agree and disagree here. Some classes have gotten simpler, while others have gotten more complex. For example, berzerker seems way simpler to me than wardancer was on my old character from antiquity, but then when I go on my mage I feel like it's the perfect point where its changed just enough I'm constantly screwing stuff up with misremembering things, trying old stuff, or whatever.

• well really mage for a long time before it got changed was mostly unused because it was boring for lots of people. we were all fighting for the mage revamp. i feel like imperian has hard time finding middle ground. it's always been extreme one way or the other.
    fifth elephant - terry pratchett
  • Anette said:

For example, berzerker seems way simpler to me than wardancer was on my old character from antiquity

Wardancer was crazy simple.

combo strike strycyhnine strike strychnine suicidedrop anette >> queue eqbal get body

• Zorantiz said:

well really mage for a long time before it got changed was mostly unused because it was boring for lots of people. we were all fighting for the mage revamp. i feel like imperian has hard time finding middle ground. it's always been extreme one way or the other.

Very much so. Finding the middle ground here between "needlessly complex" and "simple to the point of boring" has been a struggle for MUDs in general really, but Imperian is not excluded.
  • AydenAyden North Carolia
    Anette said:

Zorantiz said:

well really mage for a long time before it got changed was mostly unused because it was boring for lots of people. we were all fighting for the mage revamp. i feel like imperian has hard time finding middle ground. it's always been extreme one way or the other.

Very much so. Finding the middle ground here between "needlessly complex" and "simple to the point of boring" has been a struggle for MUDs in general really, but Imperian is not excluded.
    This is something not only MUD's struggle with but games in general. The sad truth is not everyone is going to be happy, no matter what the game tries to do. WoW for example, everything is overly simple now with the newest expansion and feels like a true grindfest. I don't mind the simple to a degree, but I absolutely hate hate hate grinding. Other people love the grind and sit there for hours on end killing mobs and running around the new area for a piece or two of gear that may or may not boost their item level.

So I guess my point is, pleasing everyone is kinda impossible. I will say this though, Imperian's deathknight has been pleasing to work with simply because you can do simple or complex, and even somewhere in-between. Most of the professions I've read about seem to be this way to a degree as well, but as I don't have experience with them I can't say 100% for sure.
  • Zorantiz said:

Iniar said:

@Tyden

I had spent all this time and money learning about this game so I could carry a connection to the same people no matter where my employer(s) sent me.

Who knows.

i know this feel. as a child my parents were constantly moving, different schools every 2 years. even after high school (went to 3 different high schools), moved around quite a bit, different countries, different people. i learned how to make friends quickly but never learned how to make long term friends easily. imperian was always the constant i could rely on.

tbh I am super surprised to see people (especially anyone more PK-oriented) feel this way, much less would ever admit it publicly. Lots of people (especially PK-ers) seem to go absolutely out of their way to "play it cool" from everything I've ever seen. That's why AM was so special (for a time), because everyone seemed to be actually friendly and attentive towards each other with no pretenses. I was floored that a game could ever have that kind of camaraderie.
  • boys have different role models than girls do usually
    fifth elephant - terry pratchett
  • As someone that's trying to get into PVP now, even stealing someone to get messages off of has been an epic struggle. I only managed to get messages for stuff I've been working on for a couple weeks, last night, cause @Mathiaus let me use him as a training dummy. (Thanks, by the way)

It's kind of frustrating :(
  • Being a non-responsive training dummy is one of my best talents. If you see me sitting around Khandava staring blankly, feel free to go for it. Just try not to actually kill me because that's inconvenient for other dummy seekers.

• Wysrias said:

Being a non-responsive training dummy is one of my best talents. If you see me sitting around Khandava staring blankly, feel free to go for it. Just try not to actually kill me because that's inconvenient for other dummy seekers.

Appreciate the offer, but I think I'd probably get looks if I was wandering around those parts :P