Skip to content

Profession Update Coming Soon

edited September 2016 in Imperial News
As previously discussed, we are opening up three professions across all circles.

1. Hunter
2. Berserker
3. Shaman (Wytch)

Below is an overview of the changes we are making so they work across all circles.

Hunters
----------------
The Shapeshifting and Supremacy skillsets are getting reskins.

Characters in the Anti-Magick or Demonic circles will not use wyvern or basilisk. They will both have unique forms and animals. All skills will work exactly the same, however we have reskinned the messages to make them more circle specific.

Anti-Magick: Naga, Alligator
Demonic: Spider, Vampire Bat

Shamans (Wytch)
-----------------
We are renaming the Wytch profession to Shaman.

Shamanism and Runelore are getting the biggest changes for this profession.

Shamanism marks have been reskinned. They will work exactly the same but the messages will be slightly different.

Runelore is getting branched off completely into a new skillset called Bonecasting. Runes are reskinned, based on weather and land formations. Totems for Shamans are fetishes and runestones have become bone bags. The skills will work exactly the same. The syntax and messages will change though.

Runelore will still exist for Runeguards, but we can now develop the two skillsets separately.

Shamans will get their 'power' from nature, which we will flesh out a bit more for you soon. In short, nature absorbs diachaim through its own forces; hurricanes, death, birth, earthquakes, storms, decay, growth, etc. Shamans will be able to release this power through their skills.

Berserkers
----------------
Nothing really. They are pretty safe across all the circles. We are prepared to make some circle specific changes though.

Other Stuff
----------------
We have moved all of attack messages into a new database that will allow us to easily set circle specific messages. We are going to be porting behaviors into this system shortly and we will get a good update on those soon.

Comments

• Will this change the Wytch arties?
  • Zarim said:

Will this change the Wytch arties?

They should work exactly the same.

• While updating attack messages, I implore you for two things:
    1) A CONFIG BASICACTIONS ON that turns action lines into "Moltres used firestorm on Articuno!" or "Kakuna used Harden!"
    2) A gmcp addition to attack lines that gives the user name, action name, target, aggressive status boolean, and possibly channeling requirements

Death to message collection.

Also, if we wanted to submit suggestions for Berserker reskinning, what's the best way to do that?
  • Gjarrus said:

While updating attack messages, I implore you for two things:
    1) A CONFIG BASICACTIONS ON that turns action lines into "Moltres used firestorm on Articuno!" or "Kakuna used Harden!"
    2) A gmcp addition to attack lines that gives the user name, action name, target, aggressive status boolean, and possibly channeling requirements

Death to message collection.

Also, if we wanted to submit suggestions for Berserker reskinning, what's the best way to do that?

This is actually actually something @Garryn wants to do in the near future. A way to configure it so you only see a simple attack message. This database will allow us to do that. No promises on when that will be though.

We may allow for a way to suggest berserker reskinning for the other circles. Let's get this put in first. I went through all the messages and they are pretty vanilla though.

• JuranJuran Ohio
    edited September 2016
    Jeremy said:

This is actually actually something @Garryn wants to do in the near future. A way to configure it so you only see a simple attack message. This database will allow us to do that. No promises on when that will be though.

In the meantime, can you at least give us a command like showemote that queries the database and provides us with messages?
  • What? You don't want to get murdered with tons of new messages? That's part of the fun!

• Circles have gone full circle.
  • Jeremy said:

What? You don't want to get murdered with tons of new messages? That's part of the fun!

I remember when you guys decided to add new Hunter animals for each terrain type and there were suddenly 11 new ways to get transfixed. :/
  • Careful, guys. Push'em too hard and we'll go back to having affliction lines getting asterisks randomly inserted into them like the good ol' days.
  • Jeremy said:

Characters in the Anti-Magick or Demonic circles will not use wyvern or basilisk. They will both have unique forms and animals. All skills will work exactly the same, however we have reskinned the messages to make them more circle specific.

Important question, which (if any) of these basilisk analogs will fly? A flying alligator doesn't make much sense, but you can't have it -not- fly if the bat can fly.
  • Wait wyverns can fly..does that mean I get to be spiderman flying around towne shooting my webs in the air?
  • Juran said:

Jeremy said:

Important question, which (if any) of these basilisk analogs will fly? A flying alligator doesn't make much sense, but you can't have it -not- fly if the bat can fly.
    Obviously the solution is that AM should get scorpions and honey bees, not nagas and alligators. Honey bees can fly! (And really, who wants a stupid alligator anyway?)
  • Juran said:

Jeremy said:

Not really sure there, but basilisk attacks can be used from the inventory, so it shouldn't matter much in the grand scale of things.
  • Jeremy said:

Hunters
    ----------------
    The Shapeshifting and Supremacy skillsets are getting reskins.

The anti-magick cities are, respectively, a desert city and a boreal forest. Why are they getting an alligator and a naga?

Should give them something at least a little thematic imo. Wolf that howls instead of staring. Scorpion that stings instead of staring. Etc.
  • edited September 2016
    Naga was chosen due to Antioch's proximity to the ocean (lamira play a large part in Antioch's history) and Ithaqua's proximity to a swamp. Since they both shared an aquatic and semi-aquatic environments we decided to pick a water based creature. The companion also reflects those environments!

We won't be able to make everyone happy, but we thought it was a unique choice to present to players. If players would like to make suggestions we are open to constructive debates!
  • Hexe said:

Naga was chosen due to Antioch's proximity to the ocean (lamira play a large part in Antioch's history) and Ithaqua's proximity to a swamp. Since they both shared an aquatic and semi-aquatic environments we decided to pick a water based creature. The companion also reflects those environments!

We won't be able to make everyone happy, but we thought it was a unique choice to present to players. If players would like to make suggestions we are open to constructive debates!

I would like scorpions (like the scorpion that guards the Antioch citadel doors) and honey bees (something something forest-y Ithaqua) instead of nagas and alligators. Pleeeeeeeaassssse!
  • Hexe said:

What swamp is near Ithaqua? Nogba and Renfrewshire aren't anywhere near Ithaqua, they're entirely on the other side of the map.
  • Juran said:

Hexe said:

What swamp is near Ithaqua? Nogba and Renfrewshire aren't anywhere near Ithaqua, they're entirely on the other side of the map.
    The morass beneath the council is a frozen bog.
  • The Morass directly below the council where they keep their dead bodies and things is a swamp. There's also a big lake and underwater things in it right in the forest.

I personally think nagas are a really cool idea, but if there's a big opposition to them (or alligators), I think manticores would add some interesting flavor. They already exist in caves nearby Antioch (in mountains, if I recall, so they could probably deal with the colder temperatures of Ithaqua). Plus they sting.

• JuranJuran Ohio
    edited September 2016
    Caelya said:

I personally think nagas are a really cool idea, but if there's a big opposition to them (or alligators), I think manticores would add some interesting flavor. They already exist in caves nearby Antioch (in mountains, if I recall, so they could probably deal with the colder temperatures of Ithaqua). Plus they sting.

Manticores are a brilliant idea. I would love a pet (or a shapechange for) manticore.
  • DimitriDimitri Somewhere cold
    I'm sorry. Honey bees? Have you been to Ithaqua? It's not that kind of forest.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Jeremy said:

Shamanism marks have been reskinned. They will work exactly the same but the messages will be slightly different.

Shamans will get their 'power' from nature, which we will flesh out a bit more for you soon. In short, nature absorbs diachaim through its own forces; hurricanes, death, birth, earthquakes, storms, decay, growth, etc. Shamans will be able to release this power through their skills.

I will probably be the minority but losing demons as the major thrust of marks will make me a sad cat.

wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Also, as far as Naga go, pretty much every picture of a Naga you can find represents them as a human torso on a snake tail. That makes them a bad fit for a game where combat requires breaking legs, because you basically have to go 'Well OUR Naga aren't actually snaketailed people, they're just snakelike people with legs'. It's bad enough that you have to play the "our naga are special naga and not like the naga you are thinking of" card, but that also basically just makes them shapeshift into a Ssylsin.

Manticores would be a much better fit, and there's a cave of them located in the Parans near Antioch even.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited September 2016
    The indonesian/malaysian word 'naga' means dragon.

gtfo

also, dragonball is 'mutiara naga', which translates into 'dragon pearl' :sweat:
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited September 2016
    Apparently Indonesian naga look like snakes with Goofy's face

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/id/a/a7/Naga_Jawa_Gamelan.JPG
  • DimitriDimitri Somewhere cold
    That's somehow less comforting. "Gawrssssssh"
  • Awww hyuck
  • Manticores sound cool, but I'm anti-scorpion as a transformation just because Akrabi are kind of already that.
  • Naga, please.
  • What if instead of naga, they get boars?
    Or will that only happen when pigs fly :V